UNT vs. Southern Miss Game Stats

Harry

2 penalties for 10 yards? Wow! Great job Mean Green!

Rick

I noticed that too. Not having to come out of a hole means less frustration and less mistakes, perhaps? Either way, it's a good development and one that I hope sticks. Very winnable games can get well out of hand if the opponent's drive is kept alive...as we all know. Keep this level of penalty yards and win the turnover battle on Thursday!

• Upvote 1

Time of Possession: UNT - 41:51 , So Miss - 18:09 (Mean Green held the ball for 12:00 minutes of the 3rd quarter)

Third Down Conversions: UNT - 11 of 17, So Miss - 2 of 11

Net yards rushing: UNT - 229, So Miss - 30

Southern Mississippi punted 7 times

DT's longest pass was 52 yards to Brelan

We sacked Mullens 4 times for -20 yards. 2 sacks from Bellazin, and one each for Mason and Polk.

• Upvote 1

First downs rushing 15

First downs passing 14

Balance.

Very happy to see the coaching staff maintain the game plan and not go into a shell after the early DT pick. Verry happy to see 300 passing yards and 200 rushing yards.

Balance.

Very happy to see us do what we should do: beat a bad team badly on the road.

3 picks and 2 fumbles from the freshman that so many were afraid of (for what reason, I have no idea.). I was a little to OPTIMISTIC in my prediction that he would give us 4 ints and 2 fumbles, but pretty damn close.

This next game will tell us what we are. Can we win a bowl game? Not just go, but win? Are we a candidate to win the CUSA west? A legitimate candidate? Can this defense handle something they haven't seen since Ball St., a very, very good passing game?

We find out Thursday. And I can't wait.

• Upvote 2

First downs rushing 15

This next game will tell us what we are. Can we win a bowl game? Not just go, but win? Are we a candidate to win the CUSA west? A legitimate candidate? Can this defense handle something they haven't seen since Ball St., a very, very good passing game?

We find out Thursday. And I can't wait.

I think this Rice team is a little different than you remember...

183 yds/Gm passing (105th)

234 yds/Gm rushing (15th)

We better come to stop the run!

• Upvote 1

I think this Rice team is a little different than you remember...

183 yds/Gm passing (105th)

234 yds/Gm rushing (15th)

We better come to stop the run!

Wow! You are right. I just saw them against UTSA, and that was only for a quarter.

This makes me much more optimistic.

Wow! You are right. I just saw them against UTSA, and that was only for a quarter.

This makes me much more optimistic.

Rice's passing attack is weak, though. 105th in the nation. Their defense against scoring is weaker than ours as well, ranked at something like 40th or so. Interestingly, their strength of schedule was ranked at 114th vs. ours at 89th, according to Phil Steele.

More interestingly, Marshall's SoS was ranked 111th. Considering what our team did to MTSU and what MTSU did to Marshall, I think that the Phil Steele ranking was correct. Lots of people (myself included) only saw Marshall's record and didn't consider who they had on that record.

Rice's passing attack is weak, though. 105th in the nation. Their defense against scoring is weaker than ours as well, ranked at something like 40th or so. Interestingly, their strength of schedule was ranked at 114th vs. ours at 89th, according to Phil Steele.

More interestingly, Marshall's SoS was ranked 111th. Considering what our team did to MTSU and what MTSU did to Marshall, I think that the Phil Steele ranking was correct. Lots of people (myself included) only saw Marshall's record and didn't consider who they had on that record.

Doesn't matter what their passing attack is ranked. McHargue is not Grammar/Higgins/Mullens. He's more on par with Wenning or Tettleton. Smart with the ball. Don't look for horrible decisions like the last 3 QB's have made against our defense.

• Upvote 1