North Texas (4-3) at Southern Miss (0-6)

Harry

For North Texas the offensive side of the ball has been impressive. The Mean Green are scoring 28.4 points per game, while posting just over 400 yards of total offense each week.

Derek Thompson has been as steady under center as any quarterback in the conference. Thompson has completed an impressive 67.9 percent of his pass attempts for 1,680 yards and nine interceptions. However, Thompson has had some issues with ball security as he has been picked off eight times.

The combination of Darnell Smith and Brelan Chancellor has been extremely reliable for Thompson. Smith (45 receptions, 519 yards, three TDs) has been an extremely effective possession receiver. Meanwhile, Chancellor (32 receptions, 492 yards, three TDs) has shown more big-play potential, including an 85-yard reception this season. Carlos Harris (27 receptions, 280 yards, TD) also gets in the mix.

In terms of running the ball the Mean Green prefer a committee approach. Brandin Byrd (396 yards, four TDs) has been the most effective back. Reggie Pegram (264 yards, four TDs) has gotten a solid workload in the red zone, while Antoinne Jimmerson has 55 carries on the campaign as a third option.

Despite actually being worse off in terms of total defense (397.7 ypg) as compared to USM, North Texas has managed to remain competitive by keeping opponents scoring to a minimum. In fact the Mean Green are second in the conference in scoring defense (21.3 ppg) behind Marshall. The Mean Green have allowed scores on just 15-of-24 red zone chances to opponents.

It stands to reason that Southern Miss will win a game at some point. It won't be this week though. North Texas is a team that plays well on both sides of the ball and will have enough to keep the Golden Eagles out of the win column yet again.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: North Texas 30, Southern Miss 16

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/23/3305700/north-texas-4-3-at-southern-miss.html

Derek Thompson has been as steady under center as any quarterback in the conference. Thompson has completed an impressive 67.9 percent of his pass attempts for 1,680 yards and nine interceptions. However, Thompson has had some issues with ball security as he has been picked off eight times.

Never underestimate the power of a good proofread.

• Upvote 2

For some strange reason, this game doesn't worry me. It should, as every game should, but it just doesn't.

I just don't think their offense will be able to do one thing against our defense. Unless we give up 2 or 3 turnovers/blocked kicks that are returned for TDs, I just don't think USM can score enough points to win.

I really think we win going away.

Last week's game was my worry game. Plus, I said I would be happy with a split on the road, so there is that.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

For some strange reason, this game doesn't worry me. It should, as every game should, but it just doesn't.

I just don't think their offense will be able to do one thing against our defense. Unless we give up 2 or 3 turnovers/blocked kicks that are returned for TDs, I just don't think USM can score enough points to win.

Last week's game was my worry game. Plus, I said I would be happy with a split on the road, so there is that.

I hate to say it for jinxing purposes (yes I semi-believe in that stuff when it comes to sports) but I agree with you.

I just have too much confidence in our defense. As long as we aren't throwing pick sixes or giving up TDs on special teams we will be fine. That freshman qb has potential, but he has thrown a couple picks in his short time and I believe we will force multiple.

That being said we can't, and the players won't, look past USM.

I was much more concerned with the LA Tech game than I am about this one.

I keep thinking of how we felt in 2001 after the ULM game. We were facing the MUTS at home, I believe for our Homecoming. They were heavy favorites and we just sucked. All they had to do was win and they could go on to the first New Orleans Bowl. They didn't.

I don't want us to play the role of MUTS to Southern MIss. They appear to have a much better coach this year. They will get better. I think they will win at least one and probably two games this year. I don't want us to be their first.

Biggest game of the season to this point...and not just because it's the current game. If we lose this, a lot of our momentum is lost and we maybe we scuffle down the stretch. When you're a team who doesn't have a lot of recent success, doubt can never be far from the surface. Losing to a winless team would make everybody wonder if things were gonna go south.