rice

drex

Spent a few hours around Rice campus last season when we played Houston. Very uppity area with that old money feel. Very pretty and safe feeling though. Is this a bit, SSP?

Spent a few hours around Rice campus last season when we played Houston. Very uppity area with that old money feel. Very pretty and safe feeling though. Is this a bit, SSP?

Naw, I think she's just really heavy on the obnoxious and very light on the facts. She'll likely say it's a bit after spending a few hours on Google, but the knowledge and experience factor just isn't there yet. Maybe she'll figure a few things out after we visit Rice next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Naw, I think she's just really heavy on the obnoxious and very light on the facts. She'll likely say it's a bit after spending a few hours on Google, but the knowledge and experience factor just isn't there yet. Maybe she'll figure a few things out after we visit Rice next year.

Nuh uh!!! :) I hate Google.

No, I was serious about living in the Woodlands for 2 years and THAT is a nice area. The problem with H is the zoning restrictions. You can be walking on a seemingly nice street, turn left and you are standing in front of a Meth lab.

This obviously has really affected you. Its going to be a pretty day. Walk away from the computer, go outside an get some fresh air. And SMILE- you don't have to breath in the smell of oil refineries and murder any longer.

• Upvote 1

Oh... and one more truth for you. My bubble was doing keg stands in Ireland while you were hitting puberty...

I'm down with you and KRAM on the Smithwick's. Goes great with a nice prime rib and mashed potatoes with a wee dram of Jameson's for dessert.

Age is relative. I think you're young, KRAM thinks I'm young. Well, let's face it. KRAM thinks EVERYBODY is young.

Ireland is one of the very few Euro destinations that I've got on my list of places yet to visit. I'm more of a Central/South America and Southeast Asia guy myself. Hell, I spent several nights in Bangkok and it didn't make me humble.

I was passing the bottle of Ginebra around the Fillipino campfire while you were hitting puberty. (Note the aptly place devil on the label) But it matters not. We all take our own paths.

1305738566312.jpg

Lived in both Houston and DFW and came to the following conclusions.

Fort Worth: great city, love it.

Dallas: too many wanna-be's, image conscious, not terribly friendly, city government a mess and can't agree on anything, traffic is a disaster, many fun things to do and see but wouldn't not live in Dallas proper or within LBJ.

Houston: weather is a beating, people are great/like a big Fort Worth, kind of a "come as you are" town, city zoning is a disaster, traffic is a bigger disaster, nice cultural center, museums, etc... Rice/West U is a beautiful area, UofH area not so much and not very safe, a big cultural melting pot.

• Upvote 1

Lived in both Houston and DFW and came to the following conclusions.

Fort Worth: great city, love it.

Dallas: too many wanna-be's, image conscious, not terribly friendly, city government a mess and can't agree on anything, traffic is a disaster, many fun things to do and see but wouldn't not live in Dallas proper or within LBJ.

Houston: weather is a beating, people are great/like a big Fort Worth, kind of a "come as you are" town, city zoning is a disaster, traffic is a bigger disaster, nice cultural center, museums, etc... Rice/West U is a beautiful area, UofH area not so much and not very safe, a big cultural melting pot.

Nail on the head, but Dallas weather stinks too. Houston seems to be a little more "Texas" than Dallas these days, yet we still have Tarrant and Denton counties next door. Pretty much a draw IMO, but a lot of it depends on where you live in those areas along with the resources that you have. They're both 7 million monstrosities, and certainly two of the best monstrosities in the country.

• Upvote 1

Nuh uh!!! :) I hate Google.

This obviously has really not affected . Its going to be a pretty day. Walk away from the computer, go outside an get some fresh air. And SMILE- you don't have to breath in the smell of oil refineries and murder any longer.

Your xenophobia will end up biting you in the butt one of these days SS. When you grow up a bit, I hope you wake up some day and realize that staying as far away as possible from the people in the "big city" that frighten you so much is a bit on the paranoid side. Enjoy your life in seclusion until then. Good luck with all of that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

This is the worst thread I have ever read on GMG. You'd think you people were debating the finer points of Mogadishu vs Juarez. Between the Confucius wanna be statements and the internet tough guys who couldn't last a tour with Air Supply my brain is bruised from reading the stupidity of this mindless discussion.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If I may weigh in.....

My wife spent a year at U of H.

And like I'm sure many on here can relate, loves the amount of time I spend on here.

Me: "Babe, settle an argument"

Wife: "Sure"

Me: "it's on the Board"

Wife: "geez"

Me: "how would you describe the neighborhood surrounding U of H?"

Wife: "ghetto"

Me: "how would you describe the neighborhood surrounding Rice?"

Wife: "really nice"

She then added......"if we ever had to move to Houston, that's where I would want to live"

• Upvote 1

People, people, people lets keep this discussion about football. There are more important issues at hand than talking smack about campuses and living areas. As far as I'm concerned there is a pretty damn big game this weekend before we even get to Rice. So make sure we stay on topic and make sure you keep your superstitions up to date. Now is not the time to lose focus. Now is the time to batten down the hatches.

Pull yourselves together gals & guys!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, no one even admitted to being a neo nazi in this thread.

No... but I've been diagnosed with xenophobia, accused of having an inferiority complex, threatened that something was going to bite me in the butt and told that I have a lot of growing up to do all for the love of Houston. Anything else? I feel like we have really gotten a lot of work done here. :)

There you go, folks... don't waste your time with reading the whole thread. THAT about sums it up.

oh and most of us agree that Houston still sucks.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3