Brett Vito: Student’s Twitter action heeds McCarney’s plan

Harry

Ryan Munthe took a look around on a sizzling fall day a month ago and hated what he saw during North Texas come-from-behind win over Ball State.

The Mean Green put on an inspired performance to rally from 18 points down, and did it in front of mostly empty stands at Apogee Stadium.

The turnout made Munthe, a 21-year-old senior, think about what was preventing UNT from developing a bigger fan base before comments head coach Dan McCarney made last week convinced him it was time to act.

We need our fans, McCarney said in the days leading up to UNTs game against Middle Tennessee on Saturday. Its easy to say, Win, Mac; Win, North Texas; Go win, but Im not coming to the game this week. How about come to the stadium, help support us, and together lets keep moving forward with this program? That is what Im asking, and I dont think its too much to ask.

McCarney got a little of what he was looking for during a 34-7 win over the Blue Raiders on Saturday, and not just on the field. An announced crowd of 21,171 watched the Mean Green improve to 3-0 at home despite less-than-ideal weather conditions.

McCarney didnt know it at the time, but his impassioned call for a culture change at UNT reached at least one person in Munthe.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131013-brett-vito-students-twitter-action-heeds-mccarneys-plea.ece

I think the alumni will come out. I think there will be a lot of buzz around the team if we can win these next two road games.

Thanks so much. I really do think you and your campaign made a positive difference. Appreciate you and every student who turned out for the game...yes, thanks to the alums and

D fans as well, but when the students turn out the place is rockin' and electric! The student side is also the one the players, coaches and recruits see most of the game!

Great, great job! Thank you for you most positive of efforts. It worked!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let's be honest here. It's going to be a VERY tough call for families with young kids. I've already dropped the bomb on my 4 kids, 3 of which are in prime trick or treating ages. Let me just say, it was not pretty. I was the target of a tsunami of whining that you wouldn't believe. Let me just give a you a sampling of some of the discussion:

"WHAT!?!? on halloween? NO WAY DAD! I'm not going. You can't make me." -anonymous, age 10

"It is going to be SO BORING!" - anonymous, also age 10

"Well you're going, and you're going to have fun!!! They'll have bounce houses" - father, age 38

"Who cares! I want to trick or treat in OUR neighborhood. " - anonymous, you guessed it - age 10

Guys, I don't know if I can win this battle. I may end up sitting in the stands by myself with maybe my oldest son, age 12. That's a drop of 6 from our usual count. Not sure if my parents who normally go with us can make it either on a work night.

It is what it is I guess. Just be prepared for some bad numbers on the alum side.

• Upvote 4

Let's be honest here. It's going to be a VERY tough call for families with young kids. I've already dropped the bomb on my 4 kids, 3 of which are in prime trick or treating ages. Let me just say, it was not pretty. I was the target of a tsunami of whining that you wouldn't believe. Let me just give a you a sampling of some of the discussion:

"WHAT!?!? on halloween? NO WAY DAD! I'm not going. You can't make me." -anonymous, age 10

"Well you're going, and you're going to have fun!!! They'll have bounce houses" - father, age 38

"Who cares! I want to trick or treat in OUR neighborhood. " - anonymous, you guessed it - age 10

Guys, I don't know if I can win this battle. I may end up sitting in the stands by myself with maybe my oldest son, age 12. That's a drop of 6 from our usual count. Not sure if my parents who normally go with us can make it either on a work night.

It is what it is I guess. Just be prepared for some bad numbers on the alum side.

Don't want to trick or treat tailgaters? You know there will be plenty of trick or treating from the tailgaters.

If we can win these two games, there will be a LOT of buzz around this team...feel like we may even attract the casual fan.

• Upvote 1

My wife and daughter are out on the Halloween game too. So I'm replacing them with my grandparents.

Hey, I got this scenario above, a .9 year old, ...plus a 7th grader that will have a 6:30 a.m. Football practice the next morning. So since we live an hour and a half away there's no way in hell the wife is gonna let me keep them out till midnight on a school night. There's just no way.

Rick

Three words: Middle School Band

The guy who runs the show at my kid's school makes the music experience all freaking encompassing. They've got something going on on Halloween. Hell, they've probably got something going on tonight that I'll learn about this afternoon and will cost me $50. Did I mention that middle school band costs me $50 a day? And it kills my nights, days, weekends, dreams, and reason for living?

I could tell you that I don't stay up late. I could say that I don't want to deal with getting home at 11 at night only to wake up at 4:30 the next morning for work, and struggle to wake the kid that I kept up too late for the game. But I don't have to say those things. I can just say, "Yet another freaking middle school band rehearsal that will certainly cost me $50."

I don't like to be home on Halloween night anyway. I hate dealing with a bunch of strangers clogging up my street & coming up to my door. Last few years we have trick or treated at a mall & went to see a movie. This works out perfect for me. I'd just like to get a BIG group of tailgaters together & set up a row of trunk or treat for the kiddos

I don't like to be home on Halloween night anyway. I hate dealing with a bunch of strangers clogging up my street & coming up to my door. Last few years we have trick or treated at a mall & went to see a movie. This works out perfect for me. I'd just like to get a BIG group of tailgaters together & set up a row of trunk or treat for the kiddos

Same with me. I hate trying to watch football on tv at Halloween. Now I have an excuse to not be at home.