UNT looking for answers in ground game

Harry

Brandin Byrd eyed the right side of the North Texas line on the second play Saturday afternoon, took the ball from Derek Thompson and went barreling forward like he has so many times in his career.

Only this time, Tulane defensive tackle Chris Davenport was waiting and stuffed the senior running back at the line of scrimmage.

That scene played out over and over at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in a 24-21 Tulane win that left UNT facing uncomfortable — not to mention unexpected — questions about what has happened to its running game. UNT has hit what it hopes is a just bump in the road the last two weeks, rushing for a total of 41 yards in losses to Tulane and Georgia.

At a lot of schools, consecutive games when the running game falls flat might not be a cause for concern.

At UNT, where the running game is at the core of the program’s identity, it’s sent the Mean Green searching for answers as it prepares for a home game Saturday against Middle Tennessee.

“It’s very frustrating because there is no secret that we want to run the ball,” UNT coach Dan McCarney said. “It’s at the heart of what we did when we built this program — run the football, execute, keep moving the chains and then throw and get people guessing at what we are trying to do.”

That’s exactly what UNT did when it opened the season with a 40-6 win over Idaho and rallied from an 18-point deficit to edge Ball State 34-27. UNT didn’t mow its first three opponents over, but did rush for 187 yards against the Vandals and 231 yards against the Cardinals.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20131009-football-unt-looking-for-answers-in-ground-game.ece

Run the QB in a Belldozer like formation:

Last year, versus Baylor, who had 10 in the box...10!

Last week, versus TCU, eight in the box with a ninth later coming over to take an elbow in the face:

I mean, look at these things. This isn't a fleet-footed quarterback. Hell, the clip against TCU, it took 'til f'ing Christmas for the play to develop! But, the blocking is ridiculous.

Surely, Berglund is at least as fast at Blake Bell. I mean, look at the Baylor clip. He's got the brace on his knee and is limp-loping down the field 50 yards!

Blocking. Blocking, blocking, blocking. I'm not saying I don't love Coach Simmonds. What I'm saying is, we've got no one but the starting five who can block properly? And, then, only if they are comfortable together for two seasons?

Maybe we still lack the proper depth to expect guys to just step in for other guys. But, dadgum. If that's the case, the offensive coaches need to earn their money and think of a way to scheme around the weaknesses.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I'm liking your thought process TFLF! Who's the "Bell Dozer" on this team? I'd vote for Chancellor to carry it too.

I'm thinking it's got to be Berglund. He's got the size, and - we're told - the wheels. I wrote earlier in the week about a Bergdozer ().

The thing is, if the line is banged up, and Johnson and Anyiam are not going to be 100%, it's time to simplify.

These short distance things are, 'Who is most powerful...my line or yours. My fullback/h-back or your end/linbacker, My quarterback or your linebacker/strong safety?'

I think having Derek Thompson throw more shows that they understand that they cannot run with the current line injuries. But, look at Denver/Dallas last Sunday. Both Manning and Romo eventually threw second half interceptions.

You can go to the well too many times in the pass game. At some point, you have to take that pressure off the QB and control the line of scrimmage.

I know I'm just pipedreaming here, but the coaches are paid - as, now, as well paid as any assistants we've ever employed at UNT - to make adjustments. We can't just throw our hands up in the air and say we can't do it. Or, as McCarney said, "We can't just waive the white flag and throw it 70 times."

I agree. But, if your second team OLs are not good enough to step in a be physical, you need to be thinking about how to get some sort of run threat going.

Earn that salary!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch