MTSU Weather Outlook

MeanMag

Well, I have shopped around at the weather Underground, the Weather Channel, and the National Weather Service. Some of the damn things are awful, but I'm going to take the NWS with high of 86 and 40% chance of rain. It hasn't gotten any worse since MeanMag started the thread, so maybe they've all been furloughed. Climate data has always been subject to local political pressure, so why not weather. I'm going to guess this is all some fast moving stuff with electrical activity, leading to extended time in the concessions area, where we may all get a chance to know each other better and buy more Mean Green gear. Then, we'll have the entire system move out of the area, and welcome the cooler temperatures and lowered humidity that will follow. Of course, the visiting team will suffer the greatest effects of the heat, humidity, and game delays, leading to that good old Apogee Advantage. Better now?

• Upvote 2

So I will see you sitting at the top corner of the wing end zone structure, right?

Nope...did that sort of thing when I was probably your age and much poorer than I am now...so, I will enjoy my seats. I earned them through sitting out at Fouts in rainstorms, snow storms, 20 degree days and 100 plus degree heat games. So, the cheap seats are not for me any longer in any type of weather. But, I'll be there...assume you will as well. No excuses!

• Upvote 1

Well, I have shopped around at the weather Underground, the Weather Channel, and the National Weather Service. Some of the damn things are awful, but I'm going to take the NWS with high of 86 and 40% chance of rain. It hasn't gotten any worse since MeanMag started the thread, so maybe they've all been furloughed. Climate data has always been subject to local political pressure, so why not weather.

Yep. And it's funny how polarized (ha.) weather services can be.

The Weather Channel for instance, owned by Fox, started naming winter storms knowing they would generate the most viewership and could use it as a proprietary system further edging out the NOAA.

Yep. And it's funny how polarized (ha.) weather services can be.

The Weather Channel for instance, owned by Fox, started naming winter storms knowing they would generate the most viewership and could use it as a proprietary system further edging out the NOAA.

I'm not so sure about that. According to their own website, they're owned by a consortium of NBC and private equity groups Blackstone and Bain; here's the link:

http://feedback.weather.com/knowledgebase/articles/27826-who-owns-the-weather-channel-

They did buy the Weather Underground back in 2012 though, so I think it's getting to be questionable how much independence there is among the weather media. Maybe it would have been just too ironic for Fox News to be at the top of a corporate structure for the Wunderground, named as it was for the 60's radical student group. Not that any of these have been shy about money, and they all still use raw data produced by the National Weather Service, and I doubt they pay anything for it.

I'm not so sure about that. According to their own website, they're owned by a consortium of NBC and private equity groups Blackstone and Bain; here's the link:

http://feedback.weather.com/knowledgebase/articles/27826-who-owns-the-weather-channel-

They did buy the Weather Underground back in 2012 though, so I think it's getting to be questionable how much independence there is among the weather media. Maybe it would have been just too ironic for Fox News to be at the top of a corporate structure for the Wunderground, named as it was for the 60's radical student group. Not that any of these have been shy about money, and they all still use raw data produced by the National Weather Service, and I doubt they pay anything for it.

Interesting. My father did some freelance for them a decade ago and I thought I visited him at Fox Studios. Guess I'll be making a sheepish phone call now.

Do they sell ponchos at Apogee?

I think they do, but best bet is to get them at Walmart BEFORE it rains. They usually sell one-time use ponchos for 88 cents. Kid and I went to the fair a couple weekends ago when it was raining, and those were sold out, so we upgraded to the $6 reusable version. Protip: If you can't find ponchos in the camping section of Walmart, look in the backpack section over by the shoes.

Simple solution. Add a retractable roof to Apogee. Can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. I have a cheaper alternative though. Panchos.

Actually going back to the house at lunch to pick up our panchos before making the 250 mile trip to Denton this evening after work. Been to every home game the last few years - and loved the MTSU game in the rain!

• Upvote 2

I think they do, but best bet is to get them at Walmart BEFORE it rains. They usually sell one-time use ponchos for 88 cents. Kid and I went to the fair a couple weekends ago when it was raining, and those were sold out, so we upgraded to the $6 reusable version. Protip: If you can't find ponchos in the camping section of Walmart, look in the backpack section over by the shoes.

They did at the MTSU game two years ago

Weather looks to have improved. 20% on Weather Channel, most places have it from 20-40%.

Also, UNT is really, really pushing to get students at the game. In addition to my campaign, they're giving away gift cards and shirts to people who pick up tickets...it's also Family Weekend. Crowd this weekend should be in the low/mid 20s depending on weather. Supposedly Rick is asking students for any and all suggestions for attendance improvement.

Also, Cynthia Izaguire seemed to allude to me on Twitter she might give a shoutout to my #hit30k thing or just a shoutout about the game on TV. We'll see how this goes!

• Upvote 5

Like you club level snobs would know what we working class people have at our disposal.

Oh wait...

Weather looks to have improved. 20% on Weather Channel, most places have it from 20-40%.

Also, UNT is really, really pushing to get students at the game. In addition to my campaign, they're giving away gift cards and shirts to people who pick up tickets...it's also Family Weekend. Crowd this weekend should be in the low/mid 20s depending on weather. Supposedly Rick is asking students for any and all suggestions for attendance improvement.

Also, Cynthia Izaguire seemed to allude to me on Twitter she might give a shoutout to my #hit30k thing or just a shoutout about the game on TV. We'll see how this goes!

So happy to read this. You are doing a great job, but it's also important at this point to bribe students to come to the games. They should have giveaways at the game too.

Don't know if you've seen it yet, but she tweeted this to her almost 10k followers:

http://imgur.com/92t652V

Don't know if you've seen it yet, but she tweeted this to her almost 10k followers:

http://imgur.com/92t652V

Yeah! Hope this keeps on rolling. Been getting a lot of huge tweets. Twitter makes a bigger impact than a lot of people think it does. This is great, love the publicity we've gotten off of this! Hope it translates well. Gonna keep this going even after this game. We'll see how it goes! Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

While I hope you are correct, I haven't seen 20% anywhere.