Busting North Texas Football Myths

meangreener

2hpjgc3.jpg

10qh112.jpg

So obviously these are a little fancy so what I'm planning on doing is making an equal number of both and posting them all throughout the buildings on campus and surrounding places that'll let me. Then I'm going to make some lower quality flyers with just text mainly with debunked myths that I'm going to hand out on campus and see if I can get RHA to pass out at the residence halls. I'm also gonna make one with Uncle Sam that says "UNT NEEDS YOU TO BE AT APOGEE" and put that on all the bulletin boards.

Also, I'm about to make a Twitter @hit30k in which I post updates on what we're doing, debunked myths and all the like so keep them coming!

Some suggestions: lose the serif fonts and the black outlining of words, makes things rather difficult to read with the busy background. Blocky sans-serifs are the way to go.

Oh, and the SMU rivalry block is going to be for 12 years all the way through 2025, not the stated eight years.

EDIT: but not the top MythBusters logo, that's fine.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the advice.

The twitter account @hit30k is now active so if everyone can follow it, and I'm going to post updates on new work, updates as I get in contact with the SAA and the AD, as well as just some more myths and the such! Also just talk about the team. It's mainly attendance oriented though.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

My personal opinion: switch this to a predominantly white background with green text.

You gotta be careful with white text on darker backgrounds.

You've got a great thing going. Thanks for the effort.

Yeah, I like these but I'm not a huge fan of the background...I really want it to look as professional as possible which is the problem with doing the white/green scheme but I really do prefer that.

That we are a commuter school. We are not, nor have we ever been a commuter school. Our dorms have always been full and we are almost constantly building new ones. There are probably enough student apartment units in Denton to service a city of the size of Ft.Worth. Do we have commuters? Of course, just as other school do, but our percentage of full time resident students who live on campus is very high. I have always hated that stupid and persistent myth.

That we are short on traditions. We have many rich traditions although some were lost with the destruction of the old-OLD UB. Perhaps they can be recaptured with the building of the new Union. More on that later.

• Upvote 2

I'm also gonna make one with Uncle Sam that says "UNT NEEDS YOU TO BE AT APOGEE" and put that on all the bulletin boards.

Make it "SCRAPPY NEEDS YOU", and use the new Scrappy "cartoon" holding the NT Battle Flag!

• Upvote 4

I really applaud the effort you are making here. So many want to find

D what's wrong at UNT and jump at the first chance they have to belittle or knock those that are trying to help. You seem to be on a positive quest here to do something that will definitely make a difference...and a good one! So, more power to you. Ignore the jackasses that want to be cute and make something negative out of this...hang in there, as there are certainly many more willing to help and willing to support you in your efforts. Well done, Sir. Well done! Appreciate all you are trying to accomplish. We need more just like you.

• Upvote 4

Well, I may have some good news coming soon in regards to the design...but I don't want to say anything as of yet until I get some more details and discussion surrounding it.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, though. I'm definitely not gonna quit because of the negativity, we WILL get this thing filled. I can only do so much about alumni, but I want to get the students out in mass.

• Upvote 2

I have some reservations about the idea of pointing out that we suck to make the point that we haven't always sucked. But I get what you are going for.

A couple of suggestions though. I am not a fan of promoting the Georgia loss as evidence that we are good. Moral victories are losses and losses are what is keeping people away. I would keep the "hardest hitting" quote. Maybe add that we are top 10 in takeaways. Could also use Brelen's top 10 stats as an example in one of your points.

I would also take out the 'back up" designations for the NT players in the NFL. Just say RB for the Cowboys, etc. Leave the All-Pro stuff though.

Rivalries, you could add the Army series that is coming up, though I forget how many years it will be (I think 4?).

AND... whatever you do: don't advertise anything with this forum attached. Not uplifting for joiners.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some suggestions I just thought of:

1 -- You should give these myths like disproportionate numbers so that is sounds like there's a crapload of them. Like:

2 -- Myth #102 -- We can't fill Apogee until we win football games.

3 -- Myth #376 -- Any myriad of excuses that students would make could fit here: I don't have time to make it to a game/I have too many exams this week to make a game/I don't know where the stadium is/Nobody "cool" goes to the games/It won't make a big difference whether I go to the game or not. Come to think of it, those could be several different myths.

4 -- Myth #196 -- I'd rather go see *insert name of some other Texas FBS school* play.

5 -- Myth #84 -- The lives of five "ladies of the night" did not come to an end at the hands of a former SMU running back.