Fly like an Eagle Song and others

JRock

Think of songs like "Hold That Tiger", but are not associated with a particular school. A lot of old familiar tunes are good at exciting the crowd. Hell play "The Charleston" and have everyone start DOING the Charleston. That would be new and unique. Other ideas: "The Wabash Cannonball", "The Orange Blossom Special". These are MOVEMENT song that might just get everyone moving. There are also Dixieland tunes. I doubt if anyone has an exclusive on "Tiger Rag" for example. Finally, if UT can do "Deep in the heart of Texas", WE can do "Deep In the Heart of Texas". They don't own the damned thing.

• Upvote 1

I just realized that "Hold that Tiger" is "Tiger Rag". Sorry about that , but we do need a peppy song like that. We also need to realize that a football game is not a band concert. We are a jazz school. We need to jazz things up.

• Upvote 1

I never understood why we don't play "deep in the heart of Texas". The rangers play it. Do people criticize them for copying UT? Does UT own the exclusive rights to the song? I think it is a big crowd favorite and everyone know the lyrics (or u put them on the jumbo). Cotton eyed joe, etc. We need to play up our state of Texas connection more, just my opinion, not sure what others think about that.

Ew.

I really need to learn how to embed videos on here

Double ew.

I agree, I have no idea why the Brigade isn't more jazzy.

Because they're a marching band. MusicEd majors typically aren't Jazz majors as well.

#conflictingensembles

I never understood why we don't play "deep in the heart of Texas". The rangers play it. Do people criticize them for copying UT? Does UT own the exclusive rights to the song? I think it is a big crowd favorite and everyone know the lyrics (or u put them on the jumbo). Cotton eyed joe, etc. We need to play up our state of Texas connection more, just my opinion, not sure what others think about th

Excellent points, Stan R (and some I have been making for some time). "Fly like an Eagle" has become one of my least favorite songs of all time. It is draggy, droopy, uninspiring, and lethargic - all the things we should be attempting to overcome at UNT. As far as getting the crowd into the game, we may as well be playing a Brahms lullaby. Great idea on "Cotton Eyed Joe"by the way

Ew.

Double ew.

Because they're a marching band. MusicEd majors typically aren't Jazz majors as well.

#conflictingensembles

They could still play jazz tunes. Very few members of the SMU band are music majors of any kind, but they put on a hell of a show - THAT IS APPROPRIATE FOR A FOOTBALL GAME.

I really need to learn how to embed videos on here

Great performance, but I'm not that fond of dancing bands.....except for a step or two.....here or there.

Love their unis. They are almost exactly the same as the Maurice McAdow era uni's.

pre-game? Here their pre-game. Not spectacular, but they don't wander out on the field and find their mark before doing anything. AND they actually use their drumline to get the band out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8UZPtDcCYM

• Upvote 1