Buyers

GOMG2013

Something has been bugging me about this coaching staff and this statement from Macs show confirms what I have been thinking....

Mac: Kenny Buyers has grabbed a starting spot and won't let go improved his tackling he's one of the most improved guys on our football team. Great special teams guy for us. Helping Brelan Chancellor have a great year.

The part that sticks out to me is improved tackling...

I always thought our coaches picked secondary guys that could tackle and stop the run, over cover guys. (kind of obvious)

I find it strange that you can have a guy on your team that goes from an unknown, to being good enough to start. We were afraid of running nickel all of last year because we didnt have the personel, but now buyers is good enough to start.

Why did it take so long to realize his talent? He surely could have contributed last season with some trust and reps. Please dont tell me you did not have him out there in nickel based on his ability to tackle.

Even at the start of the season, they identified we had issues at corner and he was in the running for the spot. It took the starter getting burned several times to FINALLY get this guy in there, and up to this point, he has been solid. Props for finally making the switch, but...

Are there more difference makers on this team that are being held back? not only are we conservative (scared) with our playcalling, but we are also the same way with personel. It just takes too long to make adjustments.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Something has been bugging me about this coaching staff and this statement from Macs show confirms what I have been thinking....

Mac: Kenny Buyers has grabbed a starting spot and won't let go improved his tackling he's one of the most improved guys on our football team. Great special teams guy for us. Helping Brelan Chancellor have a great year.

I always thought our coaches picked secondary guys that could tackle and stop the run, over cover guys. (kind of obvious)

I find it strange that you can have a guy on your team that goes from an unknown, to being good enough to start. We were afraid of running nickel all of last year because we didnt have the personel, but now buyers is good enough to start.

Why did it take so long to realize his talent? He surely could have contributed last season with some trust and reps. Please dont tell me you did not have him out there in nickel based on his ability to tackle.

Even at the start of the season, they identified we had issues at corner and he was in the running for the spot. It took the starter getting burned several times to FINALLY get this guy in there, and up to this point, he has been solid. Props for finally making the switch, but...

Are there more difference makers on this team that are being held back? not only are we conservative (scared) with our playcalling, but we are also the same way with personel. It just takes too long to make adjustments.

In all fairness to Whitfield, he was 2nd team all-conference last year. If he looked somewhat decent during practice, you've gotta stick with him. Now that he's getting consistently burned, it's time to make the switch.

• Upvote 1

In all fairness to Whitfield, he was 2nd team all-conference last year. If he looked somewhat decent during practice, you've gotta stick with him. Now that he's getting consistently burned, it's time to make the switch.

I agree. You gotta give Whitfield a shot. Probably too many, but he deserved first crack at it.

But what about the nickel situation last year? We went a whole year because we supposedly didnt have the talent to run nickel. And we have a starting corner right under our nose. At minimum, he could have played some nickel last year and possibly limited some big plays this year, and last year.

Great post. When we ran nickel last year buyers was the guy. We ran it more than Mac let off from what I remember.

But Mac loves playing his experienced guys, upperclassmen, and returning starters. That makes it hard to know what we have on the bench. It also gives hope to freshman and sophomores on this roster who aren't getting much playing time.

Solid post.

Simply put Mac is stubborn. He's going to go with the older experienced guys. He knows what he has in them, whether it be good, great, mediocre, or sub par.

Buyers has been one of the big bright spots of this team this season.

I think he may also be emerging as a vocal leader as well. He was pretty verbal on the sidelines in NO.

We get into these discussions about how a coach likes this or that strategy, whether or not he likes to play freshman, or experienced seniors, doesn't matter to me. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I had no problem with Todd Dodge's football plan, or Coach Mac's.

I have a problem with losing. Throw it on every down if that gets you a win. Run it on every down if that gets you a win. It's all fine, until the losses accumulate.

We get into these discussions about how a coach likes this or that strategy, whether or not he likes to play freshman, or experienced seniors, doesn't matter to me. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I had no problem with Todd Dodge's football plan, or Coach Mac's.

I have a problem with losing. Throw it on every down if that gets you a win. Run it on every down if that gets you a win. It's all fine, until the losses accumulate.

The frustration comes from losing the same way, over and over.

Being conservative makes it look as if you are not even trying. Troy game last year. We are down by one score. Not going to even try a punt or kickoff return?

Looking at this year, we could have #6wins last year with some adjustments.

• Upvote 1

Being conservative makes it look as if you are not even trying. Troy game last year. We are down by one score. Not going to even try a punt or kickoff return?

My frustration comes from the fact that we held a team to 227 total yards and lost. Syracuse out gained Tulane 405-330 in the midst of a 52-17 blowout. We held an even bigger yardage disparity against Tulane (360-227) and lost. That tells me that we played well enough to win but found a way to lose to what was probably a less talented team. Mac is right that we do LOOK like a much better team than in past years, but that just makes it even more frustrating when we squander what should be a win and then have our backs against the wall when facing a much better team this Saturday. When you are a team fighting tooth and nail just to reach that magical 6 win threshold, you can't waste opportunities. If we end up the season with 4 or 5 wins, we may LOOK (both in-game and in the box score) like the best 4 or 5 win team in the country, but that doesn't really mean a damn thing unless you're in a rebuilding year . . . which we definitively are not.

I do have to give credit to both the coaches and players for making us clearly play a lot better than we have in many years. At the same time, someone on the coaching staff has got to find a way to overcome the psychology or whatever it is that is dooming this team to losing road games and generally missing out on every single opportunity to take that next step. Based on how we LOOK and what the upcoming schedule has in store, we should be able to finish the season at about 7-5. If we aren't able to do that, then someone has to be responsible, right? Do we keep blaming Derek Thompson game after game as he continues to work his way up the all-time North Texas passing charts? Do we blame a coaching staff that has returned credibility to a program that was historically bad just a few years ago? Do we need to bring in a sports psychologist to figure out why we keep losing winnable road games and cannot win back to back? I honestly don't know any more.

Welcome to the life of a UNT fan

• Upvote 1

My frustration comes from the fact that we held a team to 227 total yards and lost. Syracuse out gained Tulane 405-330 in the midst of a 52-17 blowout. We held an even bigger yardage disparity against Tulane (360-227) and lost. That tells me that we played well enough to win but found a way to lose to what was probably a less talented team. Mac is right that we do LOOK like a much better team than in past years, but that just makes it even more frustrating when we squander what should be a win and then have our backs against the wall when facing a much better team this Saturday. When you are a team fighting tooth and nail just to reach that magical 6 win threshold, you can't waste opportunities. If we end up the season with 4 or 5 wins, we may LOOK (both in-game and in the box score) like the best 4 or 5 win team in the country, but that doesn't really mean a damn thing unless you're in a rebuilding year . . . which we definitively are not.

I do have to give credit to both the coaches and players for making us clearly play a lot better than we have in many years. At the same time, someone on the coaching staff has got to find a way to overcome the psychology or whatever it is that is dooming this team to losing road games and generally missing out on every single opportunity to take that next step. Based on how we LOOK and what the upcoming schedule has in store, we should be able to finish the season at about 7-5. If we aren't able to do that, then someone has to be responsible, right? Do we keep blaming Derek Thompson game after game as he continues to work his way up the all-time North Texas passing charts? Do we blame a coaching staff that has returned credibility to a program that was historically bad just a few years ago? Do we need to bring in a sports psychologist to figure out why we keep losing winnable road games and cannot win back to back? I honestly don't know any more.

Other than two plays in the span of a minute, there's nothing to blame for that loss other than the running game, and that blame has to go on the coaches. I can't believe that a couple of OL injuries are to blame for a lack of running against that defense. Our current RB rotation may not be full of speedsters, but they can't be that slow. I wish we had an old style FB set to bash open some holes.

• Upvote 1

Excellent points.

And it's already been mentioned and I will reiterate... .look no further than Jamize Olawe.

Rick