McCarney press conference notes (10.7.13)

Harry

As always there were a few tidbits and discussion points of note from Dan McCarney’s press conference today. Here are the highlights and a quick clarification:

– UNT’s running game was the topic of the day. UNT really struggled the last two weeks to get anything going. McCarney and his players said that there are a number of issues that have caused problems the last couple of weeks. McCarney said that UNT won’t abandon the run and pointed out that the Mean Green has run the ball well at other points in the season — Ball State, Idaho. It’s important to what UNT does.

– Antonio Johnson and LaChris Anyiam both had arthroscopic surgery on a knee and have barely practiced the last couple of weeks. They will practice this week, which should help UNT’s running game.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/10/mccarney-press-conference-notes.html/

Actually, there's only one factor concerning the run...we can't run away from Apogee.

Our rushing average at Apogee...4.6 (Idaho, Ball State)

Rushing average at away games...1.7 (Ohio, Georgia, Tulane)

I think that we can all agree that we can't abandon the run game but we can make it secondary to our strength; the passing game.

• Upvote 1

But you hear a ton of them say "we'll take what the defense gives us."

Not this one.

Let me ask you this question because I don't remember your opinion on the subject back in the day - were you for the McCarney hire or did you have someone else in mind back before the hire was made?

• Upvote 1

Let me ask you this question because I don't remember your opinion on the subject back in the day - were you for the McCarney hire or did you have someone else in mind back before the hire was made?

Does it matter? Hopefully someone who liked the Dodge hire (me) changed their mind by year 3 (again, me). Being able to admit your mistakes and move quickly to correct them is a very good personality trait and one I fear is lacking in this AD (see: Tony Benford).

But, for the record, I don't think anyone was "for" McCarney before he was hired as he wasn't the topic of any conversation.

After finding out who he was and where he had coached, I was ok with it. I was a little disturbed by his overall record and inability to get a job elsewhere after Iowa St., but liked the fact that he had success as a head coach in the Big 12.

And I'm still on the fence about him. It's all about results. Win 4 this year and he needs to go. Win 8 and give him a MODEST extension (2 or 3 years, tops).

It doesn't matter what view one held 3 years ago. What matters is a person's ability to view the data available and make an objective opinion, one not influenced by a previous position.

• Upvote 1

Will the return of our starting tackles help our running game?

A very valid question. My thing is we were told prior to the season that we were 8-9 deep in the Oline. Now that probably was under the assumption that Manu would be able to play both the tackle spots. Still I haven't seen much of the younger guys logging time in there and that's a concern for the future.

A very valid question. My thing is we were told prior to the season that we were 8-9 deep in the Oline. Now that probably was under the assumption that Manu would be able to play both the tackle spots. Still I haven't seen much of the younger guys logging time in there and that's a concern for the future.

Yeah, I wish we would had seen more bench guys in the Idaho game, as well as the 4th Q at Georgia. Every other game has been extremely tight, and he seemed to go with the top rotation throughout. Sure would be nice to have a blowout on Saturday for a lot of reasons.

• Upvote 1

Does it matter? Hopefully someone who liked the Dodge hire (me) changed their mind by year 3 (again, me). Being able to admit your mistakes and move quickly to correct them is a very good personality trait and one I fear is lacking in this AD (see: Tony Benford).

But, for the record, I don't think anyone was "for" McCarney before he was hired as he wasn't the topic of any conversation.

After finding out who he was and where he had coached, I was ok with it. I was a little disturbed by his overall record and inability to get a job elsewhere after Iowa St., but liked the fact that he had success as a head coach in the Big 12.

And I'm still on the fence about him. It's all about results. Win 4 this year and he needs to go. Win 8 and give him a MODEST extension (2 or 3 years, tops).

It doesn't matter what view one held 3 years ago. What matters is a person's ability to view the data available and make an objective opinion, one not influenced by a previous position.

Yep ok, just a question. I'm about where you are on the matter. I will determine my love/hate for you topic by topic.

• Upvote 1