Would a "Belldozer" package make you happy?

It's already been proven that our pass game isn't a problem. The run game, thusfar, is.

People continue to bitch about Thompson's mobility. So, how about this as a compromise:

In 2011, just past midway through the season, with its own run game bogging down due to injuries, Oklahoma took one of it's back up QBs and started mimicking a play that they had seen on film of then-Kansas State starting QB Collin Klein.

At 6-6, 250+, OU had a Collin Klein-like (6-5, 230ish) guy who was big and could run in Blake Bell. They unleashed the Belldozer, coincidentally enough, against Kansas State in 2011...the eighth game of the season!

We are told Brock Berglund is a better runner than Thompson. OU used a walk-on fullback, Aaron Ripkowski (6-1, 250ish) paired with their stellar fullback Trey Millard (6-2, 250ish) as blockers for Bell, and it worked.

We have some guys sitting on the bench right now who are as big or bigger than Bell's lead blockers were. Although Berglund isn't as bigger a either K-State's Klein (in the 225-235 range) and OU's Bell (250s), he is said to be fleet of foot.

If Berglund can (doesn't mind) pounding, would you all be opposed to a Bergdozer? Bell, as big as he is, ripped off a 55-yard touchdown against Baylor last year out of that Belldozer package. Surely, Berglund - lighter of foot in the 215-220 range - could have the same impacting big plays that Bell gave Oklahoma in 2011 and 2012.

Hey, it's a copycat profession, coaching. OU took the idea from K-State. What would it hurt for us to try it out, getting Berglund and his athleticism that so many of you have touted into the picture? It would sure be a change of pace. I'd be all for it.

Stick that 6-4, 275 kid Wylie Reinhardt back there to block. His bio says he not only played tight end in high school, but also was a second-team all-district tackle as a junior. And, he played on the defensive line as a sophomore. Sounds like a kid who is accustomed to dishing it out...and, who will be a "team first" guy and play wherever the coaches need him.

I think this would be an interesting approach... but maybe the Idaho game at the beginning of the season (say in the second half) would have been a better moment to try it out, or maybe even the georgia game and trying to beat them with a game approach they have never seen when you are unlikely to suceed with what they did see on film. Going experimental at this point of the season, though, could just as well go horribly wrong.

Edited by outoftown

This is what I was saying. Not quite the belldozer, but just a package. Not necessarily for short yardage, but just have a package for BB where we can give a new wrinkle to our stagnant running game.

But yes Stan, it seems that good new ideas seem out of the question with our coaching staff. Coaches being stubborn has been the downfall of many coaches. Hope it isn't D-Mac downfall.

Side note, it appears Reinhardt is redshirting this year to cut weight and have him at a good weight for a tight end. He said on his twitter that he came in at 285 and he has gotten down to somewhere in the low 260s iirc with a goal of getting down to 250.

I thought we'd see him moved to defensive tackle with our lack of size and depth at that position, not to mention Boutwell and Abbe graduating after this year. The coaching staff liked him at tight end enough to recruit him there and they still do. He could be quite the force wherever he ends up.

Going back through Vito's stuff, he had a piece on Reinhardt that said he'd been offered as an OL by Texas State and was committed to them before we came into the picture and pitched him an offer to be a blocking tight end.

Regardless, given the number of positions he played, he's obviously a kid who is capable and athletic. I've got a friend who is an assistant at Saginaw. He might have some insight on the kid.

Whatever the case, OL or blocking tight end, he'd be a good choice to be a lead blocker in a Bergdozer-type of situation for sure!

Your thinking outside the box now.

BTW,.. I'm just now getting to watch the replay and see what others have already mentioned about our run game. Most have complained about our O line's lack of blocking but I see it as a horrible scheme with that reverse bone set up we run and a disadvantage in numbers. 5 can't block 8,.. Never has,..never will.

Simply watch the second play of the game where we lose 2 yards on a handoff to Byrd to see what Im talking about.

We have a 5 man front, two halfbacks on each side of Thompson and Byrd in the pistol behind him. Tulane has seen this, they know its first half and that this spells run all day long by ONE GUY... Byrd.

Tulane has four down linemen, three LB's, two corners and a safety that is playing exactly 8 yards from the LOS. So your asking 5 O linemen to block 7 before the ball is even snapped.

.......But Rick,..what about the two halfbacks,...that's 7 blocking 7?

Knowing who we are going to hand off to, the safety then blitzes. That's 7 blocking 8. 7 rarely ever blocks 8. But wait,...it gets worse due to the stupid scheme.

The two halfbacks are standing 5 yards off the LOS yet the three LB's only 4 yards off the LOS. Who do you bet gets to the LOS first? See the problem. But wait,.... IT GETS WORSE.

The safety is 8 yards off the LOS and is faster than the guy getting the ball who is.....ALSO 8,... THAT'S EIGHT YARDS OFF THE LOS! Who do you think is gonna get to the LOS first!!!!?????

Jesus what a pathetic offensive game plan. I'm watching it and I still can't believe what Im seeing.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick