How ironic is it...

Harry

We play Tulane and the guys they landed - who we wanted - make a big impact in the game (LaFrance, Baptiste etc)....

A look at participation report indicates that our Louisiana recruits, linebacker LaJaylin Smith, running back Mark Lewis and safety Jamarcus Jarvis either didn't play or didn't make the travel squad....

UNT Tulane Game Stats Link

I don't find it ironic at all. When two schools from the same conference go after the same guys, you have to assume it's for good reason. And even though UNT has good academics, and is great at pushing the athletes to prepare for a career, Tulane is one of the better non-Ivy League schools academically. Even if the players were leaning towards North Texas as their choice, I would bet that the parents put a bit of pressure on not only staying closer to home but also getting a Tulane education.

We have a wonderful campus, atmosphere, location, and history with a lot of nationally ranked programs. But Tulane has one of the best academic reputations in FBS. I think we can win some of the recruitment battles against them if a player wants to major in one of our highly ranked programs, but you have to give credit where credit is due and realize that Rice and Tulane are going to offer pretty stiff competition in the region for recruiting those who can make the grades as well as the plays.

• Upvote 2