My 2 cents...for what it's worth

BIG DAWG

Now that I've had a little while to calm down and think about the excruciating loss...

1) Tulane is better than the automatic win I thought they were in the preseason...how much better are they? I don't know. Should we have beat them? Yes, but they could win a good amount of games this year. I thought in the preseason they might win 3-4

2) We can still get to 6 wins...UTEP, UTSA, So. Miss, La. Tech are all very winnable games, but so are games against Tulsa, Rice, and MTSU, that weren't supposed be available to us in the preseason.

3) As much as I wanted Tulane as a win, every season has games that we lose and thought we should have won, but also games we win that we had penciled as a loss in the preseason.

4) I'm not as fired up as I was a week ago, but I still realize that there are still a BUNCH of winnable games out there, and can get fire cup pretty damn quick with a win next week.

5) Final point, we lose next week, and things could get real tough...both from a fan point, but also for the team from a morale point

We'll see...go MEAN GREEN!!!

Yeah, if the guys play at home all season the way they did against BallStaters, we could definitely win all of the home games and be bowl eligible just from those. I'd really like to see them spoil at least one homecoming, though.

• Upvote 1

I don't really want to see us going to a bowl if our only wins are at home. That, to me, isn't deserving of a post season reward, and is likely a setup for a post season embarrassment. Until this team can show that it can play anywhere, and come away with something more than a mere moral victory, then it doesn't deserve a December game with swag bags waiting in the locker room.

I've already heard the husbands and fathers remark, verbatim, this season. If I start hearing that we graded out well, then I'm ruh-heally off the bowl game bus.

There's still a shot, but I need to see wins at LA Tech and Southern Miss for me to believe.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 4

HSO alert, It's going to be an unpopular comment, but I don't think 6 wins gets us into a bowl. Nor do I think it should. I agree with oldguy here. Mediocrity should not be rewarded. I want us to be so much better than what we've shown. I think we have the talent to compete in the league as it currently stands, but depth seems to be lacking. I do think we may be better than what we've shown. So where or what is lacking? I don't know, but something isn't clicking.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, if the guys play at home all season the way they did against BallStaters, we could definitely win all of the home games and be bowl eligible just from those. I'd really like to see them spoil at least one homecoming, though.

If they play like they did in the second half of the Ball St game.

The first half was Dodge-esque.

• Upvote 1

Now that I've had a little while to calm down and think about the excruciating loss...

1) Tulane is better than the automatic win I thought they were in the preseason...how much better are they? I don't know. Should we have beat them? Yes, but they could win a good amount of games this year. I thought in the preseason they might win 3-4

2) We can still get to 6 wins...UTEP, UTSA, So. Miss, La. Tech are all very winnable games, but so are games against Tulsa, Rice, and MTSU, that weren't supposed be available to us in the preseason.

3) As much as I wanted Tulane as a win, every season has games that we lose and thought we should have won, but also games we win that we had penciled as a loss in the preseason.

4) I'm not as fired up as I was a week ago, but I still realize that there are still a BUNCH of winnable games out there, and can get fire cup pretty damn quick with a win next week.

5) Final point, we lose next week, and things could get real tough...both from a fan point, but also for the team from a morale point

Tulane is every bit as bad as we thought, we played down and flat. Our Offense failed us

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We are, after all only a touchdown and field goal from being 4 and 1. What's frustrating is that we often seem to be only something and something from being this or that.
  • Upvote 1

That crazy talk about us not accepting or deserving of a bowl game at 6-6 is just that- crazy talk. Don't wait to be perfect to seize an opportunity. Both Texas state and UTSA are gunning for bowl games in their first year of d1a. We must win and get to At Least 6-6. The dirty birds and bobcats are not concerned about looking pretty at their extra month of practice and with their newfound regional and national exposure. This is not politics this is a bloodbath for relevance in the state and on the national stage. GMG

• Upvote 3

The closest thing to politics the bowl committees care about is the attendance and money they'll get from whoever they pick. Unless CUSA doesn't have enough teams to fill bowl slots, you can bet we'd be going with at least a 6-6 record, probably to the HOD as thus far predicted. They will likely want a Texas team in that one so their other options would be Rice, UTSA or UTEP, or if CUSA doesn't do well enough to have enough bowl eligible teams then you might see them look to another conference. But right now, with our location and conference affiliation, that's a good bet.