Derek Thompson is

H-towngreen

He didn't lose the Tulane game...

Exactly correct, but haters gonna hate. No use trying to explain it to folks who have their minds already made up....closed minds are just that...closed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not saying he lost that game. But he certainly had his mistakes. Just as how Schaub does it for the Texans

And so did the defensive line...the corner backs....the wide receivers...the running backs...

It certainly sounded like u meant that he lost the game...Thompson put the team in position to win...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 5

I'm not Thompson's biggest fan, but he takes way too much heat on this board after losses. Just my opinion

I do think if we lose the next game , maybe 2 , then we need to see a change. Our bowl chance will be shot & we need to prepare for the future. I don't like our QB situation next season if no one else sees any snaps. Just remember our first 2 games next season are @Texas & vs SMU.

• Upvote 1

Good enough to get us to the bowl game, the offense he is asked to run is not.

This. When you take a physically limited QB and put him in a situation in which a physically gifted QB would have a hard time succeeding, you are putting the whole team behind the eight ball.

Be aggressive and take what the defense gives you!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He may have not lost the game, but he certainty didn't help towards getting a W.

Serious? The offense put enough points on the board to win without the gaff by special teams. How is the special teams' gaff on DT?

Not wanting to argue, just wondering why folks want to put this loss on his shoulders? They seem to look right past the 10 point swing due to that one BIG gaff.

• Upvote 2

Not saying he lost that game. But he certainly had his mistakes. Just as how Schaub does it for the Texans

You can place the responsibility on our loss squarely on the shoulders of Chico (and maybe Mac). In every instance of a DT mistake yesterday, it was set up by the horrendous play-calling and game plan by our coaches. The Tulane defense was practically running a scout practice on a tell-tale offense.

• Upvote 3

Derek Thompson is just inconsistent, as are many other parts of the team. When he's rolling, he's an above-average QB and everybody praises him. When he's not so hot, he gets blamed for everything. Sometimes a good game from DT can help erase problems in other areas, sometimes not, and sometimes he makes mistakes himself that there isn't enough clock time to make up for as well. He can't win or lose it all alone, but the 3 comeback attempts this year (admittedly with only 1 success) show a lot of fight and I love that. And he is able to get the team to muster that fight-for-a-comeback mentality as well. The only things missing are having more success on the comeback trail or possibly just staying ahead and not having to fight their way back. I'm hoping for more of both over the next 7 games.

As soon as he lights up the field with another stellar (or even above-average) game, people will once again be musing over how they ever doubted him. Let's hope that happens Saturday against MUTS.

• Upvote 1

I might well get blasted for say this, but here it goes -

This thread shows just how much a lot of UNT fans put being "average" and "hard working" up on a pedastool. The bottom line is DT works hard to be the best he can be but he is not a difference maker an offence like we have needs to be more than middle of the pack. Yes he can still lead us to that magical 6-6 or maybe 7-5.

• Upvote 1

Not worth discussing. He'll be te starter till he graduates no matter what.

I was one of the few that backed him over the offseason, but I think he's 2 bad losses away from getting pulled. He's had 3 interceptions returned for game turning TDs in the last 6 games (WKU, Ohio, Tulane). I thought, before the season started, that he just needed to be a bus driver and not make mistakes. Turns out that he's playing better than most on this board expected, but he's still making the BIG mistakes. The pick 6 and then the game ending interception against Ohio, and now the pick 6 on a screen pass against Tulane. It's ok to throw the ball into the stands if the play isn't there and ESPECIALLY if the defense has the play snuffed out.

I think he comes back to Denton and plays well against the MUTS, and stretches this conversation out a few weeks. However, should he not play well, and/or makes the kind of BIG mistakes that cost us the win, he'll be on a shorter leash. We immediately go on the road 2 weeks in a row to visit 2 more bad teams. Blow those games and we're out of the conference race, entirely. Really, we need to go 2-1 or 3-0 in this stretch to have a shot at even staying in the race. If we don't, then it's time to pull the plug and give Berglund his shot.

As for the title of this thread....he's our Romo. There is no question he's got the talent to take us places, but for some reason we just never seem to get there.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1