Time to put the Green Glasses Away

El Paso Eagle

Accountability

Here are 4 areas I see as keeping us from hitting our goal of being Average – aka #Hit6 (after all 6-6 is average)

Coach Canales – What happened to the man you lead us as an Interim HC. We do not have enough talent to play conservative. I have been a fan but if this is what it is its time for a change

QB Play - I give DT credit for “being the most improved player”; however the fact is that his best still puts him in at “average”. The problem is that there is not enough additional talent on the offense, or creative coaching to where this team can excel with "average" - or it seems even be average with "average". Are any of the others going to do better? I do not know, but I would like to see how they perform in real games under real game pressure.

Stupid Mistakes – it’s not just the penalties it’s when we have them. Too many issues on plays where the stop would have resulted in a turnover or we are moving the ball. Where is the discipline?

Coach Mac – God only knows how much I have wanted him to be “the one”; you know the one who was going to finally break through. He says the right things and I know he is motivated but the bottom line is we are not getting it done.

Look, yes I am upset. I am tired of people not taking UNT Football serious. Every time we get to a point where people are thinking something is starting to change up in Denton we pull crap like we did today. So yes it does get frustrating – hell, it hurts. However, I will still be following and hoping years from now and will never stop loving my University.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3

The reason you feel this way is because people come in with high hopes that we do a full turn around have a break out season. People hype up the team with "This is a 9-3 season! This is a 10 win team!" during the off season and at any small sign of improvement. Then their expectations come crashing down to reality.

I like to take a rational view that we won't see a miracle improvement but I'm hoping we build on the good we did from last season and improve on the bad. Do you know when I will believe we are going to have a 9-3 season? When we are 8-3 and playing for it. Until then keep a rational head, take each game at a time and realize that anything can happen in any game. Upsets happen, bad calls happen, dips in performance happen.

Is it too much to ask for a little rational reasoning around here?

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Accountability

Here are 4 areas I see as keeping us from hitting our goal of being Average – aka #Hit6 (after all 6-6 is average)

Coach Canales – What happened to the man you lead us as an Interim HC. We do not have enough talent to play conservative. I have been a fan but if this is what it is its time for a change

QB Play - I give DT credit for “being the most improved player”; however the fact is that his best still puts him in at “average”. The problem is that there is not enough additional talent on the offense, or creative coaching to where this team can excel with "average" - or it seems even be average with "average". Are any of the others going to do better? I do not know, but I would like to see how they perform in real games under real game pressure.

Stupid Mistakes – it’s not just the penalties it’s when we have them. Too many issues on plays were the stop would have resulted in a turnover or we are moving the ball. Where is the discipline?

Coach Mac – God only knows how much I have wanted him to be “the one”; you know the one who was going to finally break through. He says the right things and I know he is motivated but the bottom line is we are not getting it done.

Look, yes I am upset. I am tired of people not taking UNT Football serious. Every time we get to a point where people are thinking something is starting to change up in Denton we pull crap like we did today. So yes it does get frustrating – hell, it hurts. However, I will still be following and hoping years from now and will never stop loving my University.

Defense gave up only 10 points, coach Hines ran the Offense when Canales was Interim Head coach

The reason you feel this way is because people come in with high hopes that we do a full turn around have a break out season. People hype up the team with "This is a 9-3 season! This is a 10 win team!" during the off season and at any small sign of improvement. Then their expectations come crashing down to reality.

I like to take a rational view that we won't see a miracle improvement but I'm hoping we build on the good we did from last season and improve on the bad. Do you know when I will believe we are going to have a 9-3 season? When we are 8-3 and playing for it. Until then keep a rational head, take each game at a time and realize that anything can happen in any game. Upsets happen, bad calls happen, dips in performance happen.

Not sure where you picked up I was coming in with any type of “high hope”. I was thinking that we would have a good shot at 6-6, with a break here and there maybe 7 wins. I am just saying that at some point in time we have to start demanding accountability. I have seen year after year watching the groups that have the “high hopes” and believe this will be the year, and also seeing the groups that think we should not expect much and that no one should be held accountable. Bottom line – Tulane is not a team this UNT team should have lost to. They did not outplay us. We underperformed. We were not a well prepared (coached) team today.

Not sure where you picked up I was coming in with any type of high hope. I was thinking that we would have a good shot at 6-6, with a break here and there maybe 7 wins. I am just saying that at some point in time we have to start demanding accountability. I have seen year after year watching the groups that have the high hopes and believe this will be the year, and also seeing the groups that think we should not expect much and that no one should be held accountable. Bottom line Tulane is not a team this UNT team should have lost to. They did not outplay us. We underperformed. We were not a well prepared (coached) team today.

Accountability doesn't exist at UNT. RV may retire with his best football team already a decade behind (2 decades by the time he is gone).

That extension, particularly when it was given, tells you all you need to know about UNT athletics.

Winning isn't important.

• Upvote 4

They would not win 9 games if they were in the Sunbelt.

• Upvote 1

You really need to look at the make up of this team (or see my thread "this is the best we are going to be"... That's right, I quoted a thread title).

We will be worse next year. We lose a ton of seniors, similar to what happened at La Tech this year.

So the time is now or never. Take your head out if the sand.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where you picked up I was coming in with any type of “high hope”. I was thinking that we would have a good shot at 6-6, with a break here and there maybe 7 wins. I am just saying that at some point in time we have to start demanding accountability. I have seen year after year watching the groups that have the “high hopes” and believe this will be the year, and also seeing the groups that think we should not expect much and that no one should be held accountable. Bottom line – Tulane is not a team this UNT team should have lost to. They did not outplay us. We underperformed. We were not a well prepared (coached) team today.

There is no should or deserved in sports. We had the ball enough and could get nothing going on offense. The defense while outstanding didn't stop that last drive. I agree that they had some lucky breaks on the punt and pick 6 but guess what? Tulane had a player good enough to be in that position to make that play, and our guys made the mistake on executing those plays so we are to blame.

Should have, would have, and could have are just excuses, we made those mistakes and we have to take responsibility for it.

You really need to look at the make up of this team (or see my thread "this is the best we are going to be"... That's right, I quoted a thread title).

We will be worse next year. We lose a ton of seniors, similar to what happened at La Tech this year.

So the time is now or never. Take your head out if the sand.

Than maybe people need to realize that it doesn't matter that we have a senior laden team if we aren't going to execute and be mentally prepared on game day. All that experience and you give up personal fouls on crucial plays? If we can't get these type of situations under control we will continue to beat ourselves.

The team looks better than past years, but it will all be for nothing if we can't play to that potential. We will see by the end of the year if we are really as good as people think or if the talent and coaching just isn't there. I know I sound like a downer, but I need to see the results on the field not coach speak, or people drinking green kool-aid hyping up the team. Talk is cheap, I want to see results.