That's 2 losses in the last 6 ganes

UNT90

That sit directly on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

Why we continually pound our head against 8 and 9 man fronts is beyond me. When we finally threw the ball vertically in the second half, we scored 21 points.

Mac is old school stubborn. One thing that he said in his coaching show really bothered me. Mac said that we need to run the ball regardless if the defense is in a 8 or 9 man front. Does he think we are freaking Alabama? WE DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF TALENT!!!!!

I am really beginning to believe he is going to stubborn himself out if a job. Well, he would if he were at a school that gave a crap about winning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't mind seeing the coaching staff continue to try to establish the running game, but when it unmistakably isn't working, why not pass to open up the run? If you do that, you have a complex offense. If you wait until you're down in the second half, then you're one-dimensional, and that puts WAY too much pressure on both Thompson and the defense. And, when that happens, Thompson has to keep forcing throws against a defense that knows exactly what is coming, which will almost always lead to one or two interceptions (and a lot of fan criticism). Meanwhile, the defense has to be perfect because they're down a score or two and don't have the luxury of a prolific offense that can quickly close the gap. Thus, they also will eventually make key mistakes too as they, understandably, try to win the game for a stagnant offense.

I don't mind seeing the coaching staff continue to try to establish the running game, but when it unmistakably isn't working, why not pass to open up the run? If you do that, you have a complex offense. If you wait until you're down in the second half, then you're one-dimensional, and that puts WAY too much pressure on both Thompson and the defense. And, when that happens, Thompson has to keep forcing throws against a defense that knows exactly what is coming, which will almost always lead to one or two interceptions (and a lot of fan criticism). Meanwhile, the defense has to be perfect because they're down a score or two and don't have the luxury of a prolific offense that can quickly close the gap. Thus, they also will eventually make key mistakes too as they, understandably, try to win the game for a stagnant offense.

QFT

I think part of the one-dimensional game is related to the fact that we don't have Montana's dad at QB, and the coaches are a little scared to open it up too much. I'm not too sure what the answer to that is other than a different QB..

• Upvote 1

Mac seems devoid of the knowledge that passing the ball can open up the run. Hit a couple of deep balls, and those safties magically stop playing within 7 yards of the line.

Take what the defense gives you. If they give you the pass, take it. And not stupid screen passes that won't work with 8 or 9 guys on the line. Vertical passing game. Use it.

We don't have the talent to force our will on anyone.

I'm scared to open it up with DT. He threw two picks ... overthrew a few others that would have been huge gains ... had several other passes that could have or should have been picked ... rarely does he ever hit a receiver in stride where the receiver can run after the catch.

Seems to me opening it up is the last thing the coaching staff wants to do and for good reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think part of the one-dimensional game is related to the fact that we don't have Montana's dad at QB, and the coaches are a little scared to open it up too much. I'm not too sure what the answer to that is other than a different QB..

There is another answer: Another coaching staff.

If this staff keeps playing not to lose, they SHOULD be losing their jobs after another 4-8 or 5-7 season.

But, hell, we are North Texas, so they will probably get an extension. .

• Downvote 1

If this staff keeps playing not to lose, they SHOULD be losing their jobs after another 4-8 or 5-7 season.

They won't be losing their jobs until at least after the 2014 (15) season and neither will Benford. That much is a given that we have to learn to live with.

They won't be losing their jobs until at least after the 2014 (15) season and neither will Benford. That much is a given that we have to learn to live with.

If both of those hires fail, RV should be gone.

But instead, the BOR gives him a 10 (?) year extension.

Pretty unbelievable.

Winning just doesn't matter here.

Agreed, DT is a tough player and comes through for us on some occasions. But many on here have questioned his basic throwing mechanics, decision making, etc. The QB needs to be a player the offense can rally around and sometimes makes something out of nothing. I have hope that DW will be that QB in the future.

I am with you on this one. At the end of the season if that is our record. The play calling has been questionable and DT has been average at best. I love UNT and will always support them but this team should be 4-1 at this point. With Brock/Dajon and or a new play caller we would have been 4-1...

Agreed, DT is a tough player and comes through for us on some occasions. But many on here have questioned his basic throwing mechanics, decision making, etc. The QB needs to be a player the offense can rally around and sometimes makes something out of nothing. I have hope that DW will be that QB in the future.

Everyone says DW is quarterback of the future... does anyone have a good reason for him not being the quarterback of now?

Everyone says DW is quarterback of the future... does anyone have a good reason for him not being the quarterback of now?

People are saying this because the few minutes we have seen him in the Idaho game he looks smooth, poised, with good mechanics, and can run. Now I don't know if he is ready to play consistent minutes. You would have to ask those who have insider information on how he stacks up against the other QBs. He may not be any better in there than anyone else for all we know, unfortunately we don't rotate QBs enough to see how they would do. So we will have to continue to trust that the coaching staff is putting the best out there.

No he can not play in any game for even one second and keep his redshirt.

Per Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of his or her eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.

Per Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

A special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of his or her eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season.

We all know about medical redshirts