After watching the ULM/WKU game...

emmitt01

By the way,... If you missed the tU vs Iowa State game tonight you truly missed another classic Christmas In October for texas as their typical 12th man was in full giving mode. With seconds left, ball on the ISU 1 and down by 6. Texas' runningback is stripped of the ball before he was down,... and before any whistle blew,.. Yet is rewarded back the ball so they could punch it in for the win.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yup Browning went down in Tulane game.

As for the UT game, Mack Brown escapes thanks to some horrible officiating and ISU playcalling.

Also did anyone catch the UT WR cheap shot, that Mack won't even criticize

Horrible officiating? Or were they officiating the the way they were supposed to so it would benefit a certain burnt orange faction. :ninja:

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also did anyone catch the UT WR cheap shot, that Mack won't even criticize

As is usually the case with a tU game, you can pick which is the worst of the worst calls/no calls.

For me it was on the Hail Mary at the end of the first half. tU's left tackle tackles and rides the ISU defensive end to the ground..right in front of the ref out in the open for all to see.... no call. I mean,.. wrapped up with both arms,...climbing his back and takes him to the ground and ends up on top of the guy....no call.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Does the whistle dictate the stop of the play, or the lack of forward momentum?

No question the ball was stripped before the whistle, but the video available makes it hard to overturn the call if you're going by forward momentum.

The ref must make the determination when forward progress has stopped...then blow the whistle.

In this case, the RB was still fighting as he is ALWAYS allowed to do, and given an oportunity to stretch the ball across the goal line,.. as we have seen countless times, and in the process, is then stripped of the ball,... then the whistle is blown. Then afterwards the refs decide that forward progress had stopped,.. which is the problem because they didnt blow the whistle till after the ball was headed the other way. Horrible call there.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Does the whistle dictate the stop of the play, or the lack of forward momentum?

No question the ball was stripped before the whistle, but the video available makes it hard to overturn the call if you're going by forward momentum.

Stopping forward progress in and of itself does not end the play. The refs can blow the whistle to avoid additional unnecessary hits coming in; but if they never do, the plays goes on until the runner goes down.

By the way,... If you missed the tU vs Iowa State game tonight you truly missed another classic Christmas In October for texas as their typical 12th man was in full giving mode. With seconds left, ball on the ISU 1 and down by 6. Texas' runningback is stripped of the ball before he was down,... and before any whistle blew,.. Yet is rewarded back the ball so they could punch it in for the win.

Rick

I watched that. So ridiculous that UT keeps getting away with this garbage.

I would be pissed about the goal line call as well, but I believe this may be the reason it was not overturned:

Ball Declared Dead

ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it

dead:

a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores a field goal after touching the

uprights or crossbar, when a ball carrier is out of bounds, or when a ball carrier is so held

that his forward progress is stopped. When in question, the ball is dead (

A.R. 4-2-1:II).

Italics are mine. Not saying it was the right call, but might have been what the replay guys went by.

• Downvote 2

I watched that. So ridiculous that UT keeps getting away with this garbage.

For All You Newbies' in MG Country and GMG.com:

2 of what would today be toward the very top of our all time greatest wins, ie, North Texas versus NCAA National Championship contender Arkansas in 1968 and UT in 1988.

Both of those games were stolen away from us by not the players but by the refs.

Granted, many traveling fans fuss about being homered most any game they are on the road, but those SWC refs put new meaning in the term being homered or "home cooking."

We do need to win one of those kind of games at some point and maybe if the players on the field are the ones who determine that we most likely will.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would be pissed about the goal line call as well, but I believe this may be the reason it was not overturned:

Ball Declared Dead

ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it

dead:

a. When it goes out of bounds other than a kick that scores a field goal after touching the

uprights or crossbar, when a ball carrier is out of bounds, or when a ball carrier is so held

that his forward progress is stopped. When in question, the ball is dead (

A.R. 4-2-1:II).

That subpoint (a) is modifying "declare it dead," correct? That is, this rule is not saying "when a ball carrier is so held

that his forward progress is stopped" the ball is dead, regardless of whether or not officials on the field declare it dead. Am I right?

That subpoint (a) is modifying "declare it dead," correct? That is, this rule is not saying "when a ball carrier is so held

that his forward progress is stopped" the ball is dead, regardless of whether or not officials on the field declare it dead. Am I right?

The way it reads (to me) is " A live ball becomes dead... when a ball carrier is so held

that his forward progress is stopped."

The next line ("When in question...") says (to me) "if there is any question that the ball carrier's forward progress has been stopped, then the ball is dead whether or not the whistle has sounded or the official has declared it dead"

The part that many people forget is that the play was called down by the official and there is essentially no way to review when a whistle is blown due the natural delay in sound due to distance from the microphone. There is no way that the review booth could overturn it because of how it was called on the field. Can you be 100% certain you are hearing the correct whistle call? Just by looking at the film you can see some of the guys from both sides stop play of the periphery before the "fumble".

You are neglecting a key part in all of this. There has to be indisputable evidence to overturn the call. It is not possible to get that type of evidence here and therefor they have no choice but to let it stand.

Edited by laxtonto

It wasn't called a fumble because their wasn't enough video evidence showing the ball came out before his knee was down. Forward progress had nothing to do with the call. The initial call was that the runner was down, not that forward progress was stopped.

That's true. However I think the line judge motioned that the ball was dead and blew the whistle based on what he felt was stopped forward progress, because it sure wasn't "down by contact".

I could care less about this game I was too busy watching my Browns. After watching all the replays and looking at the pics you don't see any evidence to say it was a fumble. The booth had no choice to agree with call on the field.

You could cry about a call, but I'm of the belief don't put the game in the refs hands. Iowa St did and it got burned. Every team has calls go against or for it. You can do your part as a team to not put yourself in a situation where the ref could effect a game like that.

The game is over the result is what it is. Time to move on. We all as Mean Green fans got bigger things to worry about like oh I don't our first conference game tomorrow!

You could cry about a call, but I'm of the belief don't put the game in the refs hands. Iowa St did and it got burned. Every team has calls go against or for it. You can do your part as a team to not put yourself in a situation where the ref could effect a game like that.

Oh, I completely agree. I thought Rhoades did a terrible job of clock management at the other end and should have spent 4 downs to try to get a touchdown rather than that field goal. He would have burned a lot of clock, and worse case, left Texas with a full field to travel down with McCoy at QB and virtually no time to do it.

Sucks for ISU, but refs didn't cost them the game.

That lost the game for ISU was having a 1st and Goal at I believe the 6 with like 4 minutes left and the ISU staff played for 3 instead of going for the dagger to go up 10. You score a TD there, the game is essentially over.

That is something that people keep overlooking as well. If not for ISU going into a shell after dominating UT earlier in the quarter offensively, this entire issue would be moot.