Board of D1 Reps Propose NCAA D4: All 10 FBS Conferences?

PlummMeanGreen

Well, they'd get a lot less opposition that way. They could even try the "We're our own NCAA as far as this football division is concerned" concept that's been discussed. And if the "how much does it cost" issues were answered with "if you can afford it, pay it" then the P5 conferences would still get their way without much of a fight. It's sort of a dark win-win scenario.

• Upvote 1

Almost too good to be true if it plays out this way.

I think the P5 guys know that G5 would support most (or all) legislation if they (or we) would want it. What at this moment in time would the G5 not want that that the P5 wants?

The P5 gang probably sees more power with numbers by including the Gang of 5.

And aren't most of the G5 commissioners in favor of some semblance of stipends already?

I think if even nominal stipends became the rule that that would have made some schools wish they'd remained at the NCAA FCS level.

Remember the old NCAA 1-A requirements? Here's a variation:

Also always believed if the NCAA FBS would have required a minimum of a 40K seat stadium with a 20K per home game average once every 3 years (that a fair fail safe for a rained out home game season) with a minimum of 5 home games that would have kept some schools from jumping up as quickly as they did (and would make others hustle to get those minimums). Addendum: No neutral site stadium attendance would count, either---you have to make the attendance part work on your campus (or a stadium at your school's home city).

A 40,000 seat stadium? UNT would only have to add 9K more seats--not a deal breaker at all for us.....20K per home game average once every 3 years? North Texas is already on the cusp (I like that word) of the attendance part, but I guarantee others are not who should not be at the NCAA FBS level in the first place and I will not name names.....yet. (The MAC would have to do some serious work on the 40K stadium size, though, as I recall most of their stadium sizes).

THERE! I SAID IT! (a Mark Levin oft' used phrase).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It is the initall proposal, not the final outcome..

The problem will be the escalating costs driven by the P5 and the potential requirements about attendance..

Got a sneaking suspicion that the FBS 10 will be a Division 4 group of 6 or 8

True, but I think that they will likely keep the other conferences around. They have proven reluctant to kick the crap out of each other for a full 12 game slate. I think that they want to have some games against teams that they view as lower in order to keep their win totals up and their fans happy.

• Upvote 3

True, but I think that they will likely keep the other conferences around. They have proven reluctant to kick the crap out of each other for a full 12 game slate. I think that they want to have some games against teams that they view as lower in order to keep their win totals up and their fans happy.

Don't get me wrong, they P5 still want their Washington General around, but some conferecnes as a whole may not even be able to meet the requirements of full cost of scholarship and stipend for all athletes and deal with the increase in staff budgets sue to changes in recruiting..

This has and always will be about $$. I ma not sure that the MAC or SunBelt can afford the changes as a whole (outside of a few specific teams) there are several private schools that are already teetering on the edge and their scholarship costs make the accounting in thier AD much more difficult.

This is the exact reason why I was so much in agreement that UNT had to make the CUSA move when they did and I feel even more strongly about it after seeing the CUSA vote as a conference to accept any potential full cost of tuition changes. At some point you got to spend money to make money and the real way to drive the profile of a burgeoning university is through media exposure. Athletics is one of the few ways to regularly get positive press. Time to accept the fact that if you want it, you got to pay for it.

• Upvote 3

Don't get me wrong, they P5 still want their Washington General around, but some conferecnes as a whole may not even be able to meet the requirements of full cost of scholarship and stipend for all athletes and deal with the increase in staff budgets sue to changes in recruiting..

This has and always will be about $$. I ma not sure that the MAC or SunBelt can afford the changes as a whole (outside of a few specific teams) there are several private schools that are already teetering on the edge and their scholarship costs make the accounting in thier AD much more difficult.

This is the exact reason why I was so much in agreement that UNT had to make the CUSA move when they did and I feel even more strongly about it after seeing the CUSA vote as a conference to accept any potential full cost of tuition changes. At some point you got to spend money to make money and the real way to drive the profile of a burgeoning university is through media exposure. Athletics is one of the few ways to regularly get positive press. Time to accept the fact that if you want it, you got to pay for it.

:thumbsu:

I feel like this is a very accetable form of negotiation--its a deep canyon between our budget and UTs, but our budget dwarfs SFAs or Lamar's, both of who get to vote on par with North Texas and Texas Tech and Texas A&M. They have a completely different setup for their AD than we do.

The biggest change I hope a Division 4 would make is that there will no longer be anymore Division 4 games versus FCS games anymore. I know that we get a handful of FCS wins every year against FBS schools, but that doesn't make it any better to see #1 Alabama play a game this weekend against Alabama State. Just as when we played Texas Southern last year, I hate seeing these matchups. The otehr change I want to see is a combo of capacity/athletic budget to play at the Division 4 level, say a stadium with 20k in capacity and a budget of $20 million annually.