First coaching casualty of the season: Kiffbro.

Christopher Walker

Kiffin, whom I do not like, is not wholly to blame. The guy was 28-15 taking over from the mess Pete Carroll/Mike Garrett left behind. His personality doesn't help him, though.

Scholarship losses do take root, eventually. It took Oklahoma over a decade to return to national prominence after they were busted and had scholarships taken away in 1989-91 (?).

Pasqualoni did great things at Syracuse. Surprised he didn't do better at U Conn.

As far as Mack Brown, in a scenario where Texas loses at Iowa State this weekend, then gets blown out, losing their fourth in a row to Oklahoma on October 12th, does Texas uses the bye week for the October 19th weekend to fire him?

Sadly, the Iowa State game could be a 50/50 proposition for them. The Cyclones have many weaknesses. If Texas goes up there and loses, then gets hammered by Oklahoma, I can't imagine Texas Money allows him to finish out the season.

At that point, Texas will be too far down the road to a losing season with games against TCU (good defense) and West Virginia (50/50 game at this point for both, though Mountaineers did off Okie-State), who will not lay down for them. And, closing with three in a row against schools that are currently ranked in the Top 25: Oklahoma State (21), Texas Tech (20), and Baylor (17).

Having grown up in Texas and watched all of their stellar signing classes over the past 15 years, it seems surreal to even be discussing Mack Brown being fired mid-season. But, when you've got high expectations on you, you kind of have to deliver...after three consecutive seasons of not exactly delivering very well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Why? I would think that USC would be a high profile HC position and probably pays pretty darn well. It is a pretty storied program in spite of the issues Silver pointed out...heck, hard to pick out a biggie without some of those same issues or others similar. Sad statement, but pretty true within the ranks of the big boys.

Maybe Sumlin should give Billy G. a quick call .... something to do about the grass is not always greener ......

I would take Mack Brown if we were to lose Mac.

Yes. But, there are a slew of fired/former head coaches that fit that bill.

I'd take Mack, Cristobal, or Kiffin.

But, I'd also take Gene Chizik.

I'd take Mike Stoops.

I'd take Dirk Koetter.

I'd take Houston Nutt.

I'd take Jeff Jagodzinski.

I'd take Gregg Brandon.

I'd take Gary Crowton.

I'd take Jeff Tedford.

I'd take Rick Minter.

I'd take Tommy Bowden.

I'd take Gary Barnett.

I'd take Steve Logan.

I'd take Ron Zook.

I'd take Mark Mangino.

I'd take Glen Mason.

I'd take Ralph Friedgen.

I'd take Tommy West.

I'd take Randy Shannon.

I'd take Bill Callahan.

I'd take Butch Davis.

I'd take Everett Withers.

I'd take Mike O'Cain.

I'd take Tyrone Willingham.

I'd take Jim Tressel.

I'd take Luke Fickell.

I'd take Gary Gibbs.

I'd take Dave Wannstedt.

I'd take Danny Hope.

I'd take Jim Leavitt.

I'd take Jeff Bower.

I'd take Tom Amstutz.

I'd take Karl Dorrell.

And, i'd take Chuck Amato, for this reason alone:

amato.jpg

That is a complete list of the former college head coaches I would hire...if, my only choice were to hire a former college head football coach.

Just look at Chuck Amato, and try to do that: raise your eyebrows up while simulaneously furrowing your forehead down. It's physically impossible for everyone except Chuck Amato. I don't understand why North Carolina State would part ways with such a man.

He can probably bench press more than you as well, from the looks of things:

339296.jpg