Flag Idea

Snowy

Hello,

This post is basically going to be an email that I sent to the Athletic Director a few weeks ago. I initially got a reply asking for me to call him and discuss the idea, but I have not been able to get in touch with him after several messages and emails. Hoping maybe a few alumni/donors have connections to make this possible. I run a student organization with 100+ people that I could get to help with this. Long term this should be switched over to Talons... anyway..

"....

The neighborhood I live in during the summer (in Rockwall, TX) has a few people that come around door to door and offer to put American Flag's in people's yards for special holidays (Veteran's day, Memorial Day, 9/11, etc). It is a way for the people of the city to show their support without actually having to purchase a flag pole, flag, remember to put it out, etc. The people that do this show up early in the morning the day be fore the holiday, and take the flag out the day after the holiday. It is a great promotion and really gives the neighborhood/town a patriotic feel.
I was in College Station a few weeks ago visiting my girlfriend and was there on game day. All business had Texas A&M flags out to show their support for the school. It gave College Station a very similar feel that my neighborhood gets around holidays. Everyone in the town is behind the same cause. At first I thought that businesses must just really like A&M, but I noticed all the flags were exactly the same, and knew that someone in College Station/A&M must be doing something a long the lines that my neighborhood is doing.
I am writing to suggest that we do the same thing. I am even willing to volunteer for it. If I can get the University or Athletic department to provide the flags, I will go business to business asking if it's okay to put a "North Texas" or official UNT flag in front of their business on game day. I have come to the conclusion that game days in Denton are absolutely no different than any other day, which is a real shame. The flag project would be a very cheap and effective way to let the surrounding parts of campus (and the greater city of Denton) to know, "Today is Game Day. Get your butt to Apogee."
...."
So, my offer still stands, but it will have to be fueled by Alumni/Donors rather than the AD. Maybe if someone runs into RV at the grocery store you can tell him I'm still trying to get a hold of him. If anyone is interested in helping with this idea, please post in the topic or send me a PM.
Thanks
  • Upvote 2

Hello,

This post is basically going to be an email that I sent to the Athletic Director a few weeks ago. I initially got a reply asking for me to call him and discuss the idea, but I have not been able to get in touch with him after several messages and emails. Hoping maybe a few alumni/donors have connections to make this possible. I run a student organization with 100+ people that I could get to help with this. Long term this should be switched over to Talons... anyway..

"....

The neighborhood I live in during the summer (in Rockwall, TX) has a few people that come around door to door and offer to put American Flag's in people's yards for special holidays (Veteran's day, Memorial Day, 9/11, etc). It is a way for the people of the city to show their support without actually having to purchase a flag pole, flag, remember to put it out, etc. The people that do this show up early in the morning the day be fore the holiday, and take the flag out the day after the holiday. It is a great promotion and really gives the neighborhood/town a patriotic feel.

I was in College Station a few weeks ago visiting my girlfriend and was there on game day. All business had Texas A&M flags out to show their support for the school. It gave College Station a very similar feel that my neighborhood gets around holidays. Everyone in the town is behind the same cause. At first I thought that businesses must just really like A&M, but I noticed all the flags were exactly the same, and knew that someone in College Station/A&M must be doing something a long the lines that my neighborhood is doing.

I am writing to suggest that we do the same thing. I am even willing to volunteer for it. If I can get the University or Athletic department to provide the flags, I will go business to business asking if it's okay to put a "North Texas" or official UNT flag in front of their business on game day. I have come to the conclusion that game days in Denton are absolutely no different than any other day, which is a real shame. The flag project would be a very cheap and effective way to let the surrounding parts of campus (and the greater city of Denton) to know, "Today is Game Day. Get your butt to Apogee."

...."

So, my offer still stands, but it will have to be fueled by Alumni/Donors rather than the AD. Maybe if someone runs into RV at the grocery store you can tell him I'm still trying to get a hold of him. If anyone is interested in helping with this idea, please post in the topic or send me a PM.

Thanks

Snowy, this has been proposed and tried time and time again with little/no support from the local business community...especially around the square. It is a GREAT IDEA and would do much to liven up the game day atmosphere in Denton. But, from experience, it takes lots and lots of time and effort to get going and to keep it going. The Rotary a Club does this in my neighborhood as well with American flags on all national holidays. Always amazes me how many people do not participate. It is not the cost as it is very reasonable. Just lack of interest on the part of some residents it seems. Such was the case with the business folks on the square...not to mention how often the flags are stolen...yes, stolen. It seems it work work best if a service organization such as the Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc. were to take this on as some sort of fundraiser. Or, a dedicated campus group such as the Talons or Student Aluni Association. Coordination would need to take place with the City of Denton and perhaps the downtown business association! then one would need to get the businesses on board ( nay have better luck than in the past as things seem to be changing for the better), then purchase the flags and poles and decide how to mount them for each game. After gat it is just deciding how often to get the up and how long they stay up before and after each game, and then how do the flags get up and down and where to store them between games.

If you want to PM me and give me some contact info I can get with you and discuss what I know about this sort of project. It is a great one and a great atmosphere helper...just way more work than some think. Can be done, but it would be horrible to get started and then drop it due to lack of volunteer interest which gas been a problem in the past. If it is started, it MUST be kept going with new businesses being added as some close, etc., etc.

PM me with contact info and we can chat more. Love this idea and would love to see it come to pass!

My neighborhood does the flag thing. It's a great fundraiser and really looks great on all the national holidays. The more I think about this the more I think it will work. Require a 50 dollar donation per year to the MGC and they will get a UNT flag put in front of their business for every home football game (every weekend basketball game). Once flags have been purchased and storage secured I think in years 2 or 3 you will be bringing in some good funds for MGC. It seems to work very well where I live in raising funds for the park system. And our little city looks incredible in holidays.

How cheap is "cheap"? Are you talking little plastic flags on wooden dowels or larger flags on metal poles? Wondering if this could be a program funded by donations. Could also maybe be funded through sponsors if they were able to advertise on the dowel/pole.

No...no...no...no cheap plastic flags. For it to work and look good it needs to be full size quality flags on metal poles. Of course it could be funded by donations..."support a flag" for $X..... Could cover cost of one flag and pole....not very expensive, and could really help the project.

It isn't this sort of thing that has doomed this project in the past...it has been the willingness of businesses to participate, the City and it's regulations and challenges, and finding folks willing to put them up and take them down appropriately on scheduled days and for special events....like basketball tournament times, conference championships held at UNT ( ex. Tennis), etc.

No problem or challenge too big to overcome, but if you think this is easy and can be accomplished quickly you have another though coming. It can happen, but you need a very dedicated and willing group...very dedicated and willing and willing to stay such for an extended period of time...like multiple years. Been there...can do, but have had no luck in prior attempts. However, it has been several years since the last attempt, and things do seem to be changing in a positive manner. GREAT IDEA. Needs dedicated leadership.

I contacted the Denton South Rotary Club, the Club that provides US flags in my (and KRAMS) neighborhood. My proposal was to have one of the youth groups I work with to put NT Battle Flags in the holders already in place by the Rotary Club. At that time, they were willing to give me their contact list and let us use their holders (pipes in the ground) whenever national holiday and NT game days don't conflict.

So my evil plan was to buy one Battle Flag ( I have lots available now at Denton Bicycle Center-serving Denton Cyclists for 43 years-940)387-9314), go door-to-door using the Rotary Club list, and see how many subscriptions we could sell. Then, with money in hand for one year, order the number of flags needed, and place flags on home game weekends. the first year would pay for the capital investment, succeeding years would be be pure profit, less expenses (gas, repairs ?).

As to the theft issue KRAM mentioned, the Rotary guys I have spoken with said theft was a problem the first year but not so much since then. But a NT Battle Flag might have a higher "theft appeal" than a US Flag.

I would like to discuss this more with anyone that would like to talk about it. I still think it's a good idea, but it will take a non-profit group with a "years at a time" commitment to make it work.

Lemme know.

GO MEAN GREEN

I contacted the Denton South Rotary Club, the Club that provides US flags in my (and KRAMS) neighborhood. My proposal was to have one of the youth groups I work with to put NT Battle Flags in the holders already in place by the Rotary Club. At that time, they were willing to give me their contact list and let us use their holders (pipes in the ground) whenever national holiday and NT game days don't conflict.

So my evil plan was to buy one Battle Flag ( I have lots available now at Denton Bicycle Center-serving Denton Cyclists for 43 years-940)387-9314), go door-to-door using the Rotary Club list, and see how many subscriptions we could sell. Then, with money in hand for one year, order the number of flags needed, and place flags on home game weekends. the first year would pay for the capital investment, succeeding years would be be pure profit, less expenses (gas, repairs ?).

As to the theft issue KRAM mentioned, the Rotary guys I have spoken with said theft was a problem the first year but not so much since then. But a NT Battle Flag might have a higher "theft appeal" than a US Flag.

I would like to discuss this more with anyone that would like to talk about it. I still think it's a good idea, but it will take a non-profit group with a "years at a time" commitment to make it work.

Lemme know.

GO MEAN GREEN

Yes, quite. A multi-year commitment is indeed a must. This is a much bigger project than folks believe ..as you realize, Joe. Snowy and I are trying to set up a face-to-face meet to discuss. Will keep you posted and would love to have your input. Always welcome.

As to where..,anywhere is good, but in my opinion in business area such as the square provide much more usability than would neighborhoods. But, anywhere is good as long as the project is maintained...it is indeed a multi-year commitment and a much bigger one than most think. Like I said...it has been tried more than once in Denton.

• Upvote 1

You guys may want to check with Kiwanis about presenting at one of their meetings too. Never underestimate the value of peer pressure...there are a few in town who would jump at the idea (and you don't have to make it just on/near the Square or just off campus). Get a few scattered across town and keep showing up to Chamber, Kiwanis, etc. and you'll probably get momentum. Then your biggest hurdle would be City restrictions...the Council has been far more open to a variety of ideas in recent years, and of course it helps that we almost always have at least one UNT alum on either City Council or P & Z (or both).

You guys may want to check with Kiwanis about presenting at one of their meetings too. Never underestimate the value of peer pressure...there are a few in town who would jump at the idea (and you don't have to make it just on/near the Square or just off campus). Get a few scattered across town and keep showing up to Chamber, Kiwanis, etc. and you'll probably get momentum. Then your biggest hurdle would be City restrictions...the Council has been far more open to a variety of ideas in recent years, and of course it helps that we almost always have at least one UNT alum on either City Council or P & Z (or both).

Yes, greenjoe is very active in one of our local Kiwanis Clubs. It is a very active club as well, and does much good work in and around Denton.

Before all that, I think we need to get the Chamber of Commerce or whoever it was to stop promoting Denton as a good place for Sooners to stay during Texas/OU weekend when WE have a HOME GAME that weekend.

And the city would never do this on their own because they don't want to show favoritism towards either UNT or TWU. (don't want to piss off TWU)