More UNT Georgia Game Comments

Harry

North Texas at Georgia (33 point favorite) UGA 45 – UNT 21

RATING: ? – Special teams made it interesting for a time

OFFENSE: Aaron Murray continues to throw for big yardage – 408 this time. Gurley was close to 100 yards, but an interception in the end zone and some troubling special teams play kept North Texas in the game far longer than they should have been.

DEFENSE: Shut down the run, as expected, but a surprisingly light pass rush and suddenly porous pass defense gave UNT new life time and again. Not until the middle of the third quarter did Georgia wake up and start to play.

KEY STAT: 5 pass plays in excess of 30 yards, one for 98 yards and a TD (longest in school history). Aaron Murray can potentially score from any place on the field.

COMMENTS: It’s somewhat normal for a team to zone out for a quarter against a sub standard team. But Georgia nearly did it for three quarters. I know the LSU game is looming, but still. They’re too good to have this big of a slump.

- See more at: http://trackemtigers.com/?p=18912#sthash.xad1rH8q.dpuf

You know, it usually irks me when a "team that the big boys should beat" gives "the big team" a bigger fight than they expected, that the default response is always, "Boy, *insert name of big team* was really out of character last week. They played awful. If they hadn't played so awful, perhaps they would have blown out *insert name of "small team."*

NO, perhaps they "played awful" because "small team" was better than you thought.

But, I've come to realize that this is just our team's way of taking their lumps. If they continue to "meet teams on their bad days," then others will begin to realize that maybe our team is the REASON for those bad days, and not simply the benefactor of those bad days. So here's hoping that other teams will continue to "play sloppy" against us in the future!

I really hope that rant made sense.

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 2

Finally getting to watch the replay.

I don't think most people here realize how much larger UGA was than we were. Their three starting DL's average 310 lbs. On our DL... Bellazin gave up 3 inches and 62 pounds to OL #72 Gates.

On our offensive scoring drive,.. a blitzing LB who leaves his feet,...leads with his head and uses the top of his head to drive into DT's jaw... No call. Amazingly he got back up.

On Chancellor's kick off return,.. Watch what happens to the Georgia kicker. It's very quick,.. but if you'll just watch him you'll see. He thinks he has BC in his sights but BC slips right past him and between him and a LB who also thinks he has a tackle and both collide helmet to helmet. The Kicker is lucky he walked away from that hit.

On UGA's second possession,... Buyers had another Mean Green INT on the sideline if he hangs on to it. At the time it happened I couldn't tell how close he was to this pick. He had it but the ground forced it out. Overall it was a great read on the ball. This play and his pass break up in the endzone as well as his 10 tackles truly gives us insight in how good this guy is and what the future will be for him.

If before the game I had predicted that with 9:53 to go Georgia would have gone two possessions in the second half without a second half score...AND that their ground game would only have 58 yards rushing you would have thought I was nutso.

On the third quarter drive that resulted in the Pick,.. Peagram busted a 30 yard swing pass that was one block away from taking it to the house. Watch Mason Y'Barro get down field. He's pretty quick for a big man.

On the INT... Had the route by Smith gone to the inside seem its tied up there at that point of the game.

So many chances in this game. Which is a nice change compared to the last 12 years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

Georgia's 4th possession of the second half at the 14:00 mark,. Akunne hit Gurley, picked him up and put him on his back forcing a fumble. The camera zooms in on Gurley walking off the field and he's blinking his eyes like he just got freight trained.

Another solid,.. and quite honestly, shocking defensive stand.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Georgia's 4th possession of the second half at the 14:00 mark,. Akunne hit Gurley, picked him up and put him on his back forcing a fumble. The camera zooms in on Gurley walking off the field and he's blinking his eyes like he just got freight trained.

Rick

I remember that vividly. Don't even have to look up the replay. He pretty much body slammed the guy.

Did you notice the color guy commenting we didn't just come to play, we came to win. He said it after the blocked punt.

Somewhere Silver Eagle was happy.

Ha Ha yes. Good catch. That was U of H's Hiesman Trophy Winner Andre Ware right after the blocked punt.

Followed by sideline reporter Cara Capuano reporting on what Mac supposedly told the players at halftime..

"Reach down and chase greatness...let's see if we can pull this thing off"

BTW... This game was on the SEC Network, not ESPN.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Ha Ha yes. Good catch. That was U of H's Hiesman Trophy Winner Andre Ware right after the blocked punt.

Followed by sideline reporter Cara Capuano reporting on what Mac supposedly told the players at halftime..

"Reach down and chase greatness...let's see if we can pull this thing off"

BTW... This game was on the SEC Network, not ESPN.

Rick

It's the same. Sec network is espn/gameplan/espn3/abc packaged. Andre Ware probably got paid by abc/espn. Next year it should be even more obvious that the sec network is a regional espn college football broadcast.
  • Upvote 1

One thing I forgot to mention previously about the game that impressed me the most and gave me good feelings that we might could do something this season was the attention to tackling. Solo tackles and tackles in space against much larger opposition by almost everyone that got a hand on a player was great.

• Upvote 2

Rick

As good as Gurley is, I definitely thought he was feeling the hits. You could see it in his eyes during the game. The ice bath was calling his name.