UGA to pay North Texas $975,000 for game

Harry

523a4d68890fa.image.jpg

The University of Georgia Athletic Association is paying University of North Texas $975,000 to travel to Athens and play the Bulldogs in football this Saturday, which is a lot to spend on a cupcake.

For years, college football powerhouses have paid smaller, weaker programs to travel and play away games on the larger programs’ home fields.

The agreement between the two schools, which was signed in 2008, stipulates that Georgia must give North Texas 4,500 tickets to sell to its fans. Any tickets that were not sold by Aug. 30 were returned to the UGAAA. Georgia also allotted North Texas 300 complimentary tickets.

The game with North Texas was originally scheduled for Aug. 31, 2013, however, in 2009, the two schools agreed to move the game to September in order to enable the Bulldogs to take on the Clemson Tigers on Aug. 31.

If either team should back out of the game, it would owe the other $600,000, unless the cancellation was mutually consensual.

The full $975,000 must be received by North Texas by Jan. 31, 2014.

Read more: http://www.redandblack.com/sports/uga-to-pay-north-texas-for-game-this-saturday/article_55a11b16-20af-11e3-9d84-0019bb30f31a.html

it's amazing the north texas gets 975k for this and savannah state is getting 375k from miami for their beating...i read yesterday that savannah state received around 1 million for both of their beatings last year...

the north texas negotiator is very very good...

• Upvote 1

it's amazing the north texas gets 975k for this and savannah state is getting 375k from miami for their beating...i read yesterday that savannah state received around 1 million for both of their beatings last year...

the north texas negotiator is very very good...

Savahan St is FCS. We are FBS. Cost more for.a gimme FBS win.

Sad that we compare ourselves in any way to Savagan St., though.

• Downvote 1

I don't. I absolutely believe that starting 0-1 kills all the momentum.

There is no momentum to kill when you are 0-0; excitement of a new season is not momentum. And the first game of the season is when the big boys are most vulnerable. With 11 games for us to follow and/or rebuild.

If there is any momentum, it's what we have at 2-1. And Georgia is past the initial learning curve.

Just my .02.

Savahan St is FCS. We are FBS. Cost more for.a gimme FBS win.

Sad that we compare ourselves in any way to Savagan St., though.

dude.....i don't know how much an fbs team gets for money games...the savannah state information was talked about on the internets and tv...i don't hear or read about other teams and the money they get for visiting the mighty schools

Edited by THOR

It must have to do with FBS vs. FCS. A school only wants one FCS on its schedule for bowl purposes and SOS.

The 4500 ticket thing is interesting. UNT probably only needs 500 tickets. Are those part of the "payment" from UGa to UNT? $4500 * $70 or so per ticket = $315K. Whatever you return you lose? That didn't seem to be the case but there was the mention of 500 comp tickets. Really an incredible deal.

If they sell 80K tickets at $70 each, assuming 10K go to students for free, then they make $5.6MM today just on ticket sales. Then add foundation gifts, parking, concessions and advertising. Wow!

GMG! Hope you beat the Dawgs, but probably as long of a shot as the other Metroplex team against the other Top 10 road SEC team. Aggy did a 2:1 and probably didn't pay SMU much of anything to come to Kyle twice in exchange for one trip to Ford. However, I believe SMU charged $95/ticket last year and didn't have a capacity crowd. Aggys saved their money and the prices were much higher than Pony fans were used to. Johnathan Football hadn't blown up yet, either.

Edited by redallover