Dave Campbell's College Class ( Some Mean Green Luv)

MeanGreen61

Several :thumbsu: for North Texas in this article.

ODDS AND ENDS
> Week 2 Game Balls: After giving up 20 points and 395 yards in the first half, things looked bleak for the Mean Green. But the UNT defense did a 180 in the final two quarters, holding Ball State to just 101 second-half yards and seven points. That was enough to allow the UNT offense to outscore Ball State 31-7 from the second quarter on in UNT's 34-27 comeback victory.

Helping the UNT cause was five takeaways (three of them fumble recoveries), the last of which was an interception that ended Ball State's last drive to try to tie the game. Not surprisingly, the best defender on the field was senior LB Zach Orr (11 tackles, TFL, FF, FR), arguably the state's most under-the-radar star player.

My Power Poll ballot
This is what I turned into the DCTF offices for the Week 3 edition of the Power Poll.

1. Texas A&M
2. Baylor
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. Rice
6. Texas
7. North Texas
8. Houston
9. UTSA
10. UTEP
11. SMU
12. Texas State

The rationale for my order: Go toe-to-toe with the two-time defending champs, and you deserve the No. 1 spot in Texas. Texas Tech is creeping up on Baylor, if only because the Bears were off and Tech somewhat controlled TCU. Those Frogs are fourth, for now, but I considered placing Rice ahead of them. Texas is another loss away from dropping even more. North Texas's comeback over Ball State impressed me enough to move to seventh, maybe the highest I've ever put the Mean Green. Houston's win at Temple looks a little less sweet after Temple lost to the mighty Fordham Rams. UTSA and UTEP play this weekend, so that should settle their placement. I moved SMU to 11 and dropped Texas State to 12th; I think SMU is the better team, even if Texas State is playing up to its potential more than SMU is.

> Leftovers … Very happy to see North Texas storm back to beat Ball State. I thought UNT underachieved last year, but with a 2-1 start, UNT appears to be playing up to its potential. The Mean Green are now one game ahead of DCTF's predicted five wins, and one predicted loss (at Louisiana Tech, which looks like a shell of its 2013 team) could now become a win. Third-year coach Dan McCarney needs a bowl this year, because with 13 seniors on his opening-day depth chart, next year could bring a dropoff.

READ MORE

http://www.texasfootball.com/college-news/view/180520

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 6