You're on notice, Dawg! Week 4

Christopher Walker

Well, we made it! We managed to make it through an entire fall weekend that had no Georgia Bulldogs football, and even managed to avoid any brushes with the law or off-week injuries caused by overzealous scrimmaging.

And, to be fair, this week's opponent will probably only offer slightly more of a challenge than scrimmaging against our scout team. The North Texas Mean Green are 2-1, but have only played 2 MAC teams and a Division I-A Independent from the conference formerly known as the WAC (Idaho). Still, though, if there's one thing college football has taught us over the years, it's that you can never overlook anybody, even in a paycheck game. (I'm looking at you, Kansas State. And Michigan. And Auburn. And Florida.) That's why I'm letting the following people know that, for Week 4, You're On Notice, Dawg!

http://www.dawgsports.com/2013/9/15/4733458/youre-on-notice-dawg-week-4-2013

I know we are as of today 32.5 point underdogs.

I know that the SEC is the "cream of the crop" when it comes to teams and conferences.

I know that it is going to take a super human effort to beat Georgia and for us to play better than we did in the 2nd half of the Ball St game to beat the Southern Bells.

I know that DT, Chancellor, ZORR and the entire team must wear a BIG S on our chest.

But to say that this is going to be not much more than an inner squad scrimmage....

If I were going to pick a team for a major upset, I would pick the MEAN GREEN.

HIT 6...AND HIT A DAWG RIGHT IN THE MOUTH!!!!

• Upvote 3

As much as I'd love to see our biggest upset in 40 years, realistically I'll just be glad if we keep it closer than expected and come out without injuries that affect the rest of the season. But to keep it close there is one thing (maybe 1 1/2) that I mentioned before the last game that still rings true. I can't believe that we made the comeback against Ball State without this...CAPITALIZE ON TURNOVERS and, to a lesser extent, field position opportunities from QB sacks (not so much last week, but does need to happen in addition to the takeaways).

If the D comes up with the ball and doesn't run it in for 6, I'm proud enough that they got their ball back. But the offense needs to get some points, even field goals, off of most (if not all) of our turnovers, or they hardly matter outside of a nice stat. If you get a couple of sacks and the punt puts us in good field position, we need at least a couple of first downs to get within field goal range there as well. Special teams kicked ass (and the ball quite well also) last week. That needs to be supplemented with points following turnovers or great field position following sacks, if our D does well against Georgia's offense.

If the defense comes out to play all 4 quarters the way they have in the second half thus far, then I can see some opportunities there to pull in a few more points. But these are KEY moments for the offense to score. Even if you hold them for a couple of series after a turnover, if we don't get some points from it (or again, from great field position following sacks at the right spot) then not only does it not change the scoreboard, but the field position advantage from those turnovers is gone as well.

This is a great team we're playing, definitely the best of this season. If our guys can pull off a couple of huge plays, those need to turn into points or they will be essentially erased within one series of offense. The Bulldogs are dangerous on both sides of the ball, and if you don't capitalize on the couple of huge plays you get against them, their whole "keep North Texas under 14 points" is almost a certainty.