Mid-Week Thoughts (UGA vs UNT)

Mean_Green09

UNT is facing no easy task this week they are trying to become the ONLY un-ranked out of conference foe to win on the road in the SEC. Louisville is the only team to win on the road in an SEC venue this year. Heck only 6 out of conference teams won on the road in an SEC last year.

If I was writing up the defensive game plan this week, I would do everything I could to slow down RB’s Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall. Load the box and leave the corners one on one. After watching tape the Georgia wide outs don’t scare me as much as their backs.

QB Aarron Murray is about as accurate as they come. If UNT can’t collapse the pocket again this week he is going to pick them apart. Every pass I’ve seen when Murray has had a clean pocket and a chance to deliver he has put the ball in the WR hands.

Head across, wrap up, and drive through. Tackle, tackle, tackle and team pursuit. Can’t stress how important it is that UNT limits Gurley and Marshall’s YAC this week. They are going to get theirs no doubt, but UNT can really limit the damage if they continue their solid fundamentals.

I know all of Georgia’s top guys are talking a good game about not looking ahead, but I think they still are. When you got a big game against LSU looming after playing a top ten in South Carolina and then you see UNT on your schedule in between them. I know those other younger Georgia players are looking us a practice. Got news for those guys in practice they don’t hit as hard as UNT is about to hit you.

UNT has a chance to win because Dan McCarney is our head coach. His toughness has carried over into this team and you don’t go into the SEC and win with finesse.

17. The number of times UNT threw on first down against Ball St. If UNT really wants to play like they can win this game then why not continue the open play calling. If you’re McCarney and Canales and you believe your O-Line can protect Derek Thompson why not let him throw it around? Clemson threw it 11 times on first down. Four of their drives they started with a first down pass. Each one accounted for points. They had 9 drives start with a running play only two accounted for points. I get the chew clock theory, but if you think you can win, play with aggression. I’m not saying be stupid and throw a ton, but we don’t have to clam up and chew clock just to have a chance. We are not facing a lockdown defense there are holes.

UNT is going to need Derek to play with passion. I think the offense feeds off it. I don’t want to see pissed off Derek, liked we have seen in past games. I like it when the senior shows some emotion. After a performance like last week you can’t help, but wonder if team is really beginning to rally around him. I’d say he playing the best of any QB in the metroplex right now.

Okay Chancellor had another good game, so now I’m wondering if UNT will shy away from him. You can’t go away from him like they did against Ohio. Find ways for him to get the ball. UNT needs a big game from him to have a chance.

Just wondering would you take giving up a touchdown every game on the first possession if you knew we’d only give up no more than a FG in the second half of every game?

If this game gets away from UNT late do you put in Dajon or Andrew?

Last thing and this is more of a discussion point so let me know how you feel. I’m sure you guys have seen the news about Bo Pelini and the remarks he made about the Nebraska fans. If you haven’t go check it out. How would you feel if you were a coach and fans and students left early or didn’t show up to watch you pull off a comeback or upset. How do you think Coach Mac feels after pulling off maybe his best win in a nearly empty stadium? I know he would never make those statements out loud, but I wonder what he was thinking.

http://tmgbr.com/2013/09/18/mid-week-thoughts-uga-vs-unt/

Edited by Mean_Green09

I expect a game plan like we had against KSU last year. Lots of short to intermediate passes to help the pass protection.

That's our offense. We threw the ball 47 times last week and the longest pass play was 25 yards. Nothing wrong with that either. Ball control as best as we can and we may be able to hang with these guys.

That's our offense. We threw the ball 47 times last week and the longest pass play was 25 yards. Nothing wrong with that either. Ball control as best as we can and we may be able to hang with these guys.

And the good news is those throws are going to be open versus this defense. I will get into it more in the break down on Friday, but I would expect man coverage on Brelan with safety over the top and zone coverage every where else. Very zone oriented defense from what I've seen.

I tend to think the biggest disparity in this game will be our D-line vs. their O-line. We just don't have the size to effectively put pressure on Murray or to withstand a tough power running game. The only way I can envision keeping things interesting is if we constantly rotate bodies and use 10 to 12 D-lineman. We may not be able to change the size of our D-line, but if we keep them all really fresh, maybe that will nullify SOME of their advantage. I recall TCU using this strategy several years ago when they went up to Norman and beat Oklahoma.