If I were UNT promotions director

emmitt01

Celebrate the Halloween night game with a Rocky Horror theme, and bring back North Texas alum Meat Loaf (Michael Lee Aday) so that the university can award him a Lifetime Acheivement Award. Meat Loaf is one of the best selling artists of all time, having sold over 100 million albums, and I think this would have been a perfect opportunity for the university to honor him.

It could be a halftime presentation of Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul, I Really Love That Rock And Roll with Meat Loaf, the Green Brigade, the Dance Team and other members of UNT's performing arts community.

rhps_007Denton.jpg

RHPS-HotPatootieL.png

Now that's thinking outside the casket, errrrr, I mean box, Adler. :thumbsu:

The Meatloat idea is SUPER, but isn't it a bit too late to pull this off now as to get it promoted to where enough people would even know about it?

Unfortunately for us now here in mid September, I think effective large group promotional ideas should have been planned as far back as last Spring as for them them to have any chance for success. Doesn't that really make cents? In fact, what you do for athletic promotions for any Fall should even be already planned so a Spring or Summer edition of the North Texan alumnus magazine can tout the promo...that's how early I'm talking about here.

Remember the "free tickets give away" for UNT great now Dallas Cowboy Lance Dunbar's last game? How many of those really got distributed? Furthermore, who did all the mass distributing of such free tickets that would have given that idea any semblance of chance for success? We remember the crowd that showed up that day, now don't we? :(

It seems to me serious "get butts in seats" athletic promotional ideas are something you cannot do on a whim or as an overnight idea, especially when you didn't budget them in or have the volunteer manpower to make them work. Upon Further Review and an all fairness, UNT athletics does not have the manpower on their present staff to make what we want to happen....happen, What do we do, ask Coach Mac's Coke Carrying Guy go out and become a "Super Promoter of Marketeer" overnight?

Also, do we really ever want our HFC to have to beg our alums to support our team again? That should have been an embarrassment to us all that he'd have to on that Summer Caravan deal last year. And no, he probably shouldn't have made that passionate plea or sermonette with all the very ones who show up at Apogee, but hand it to Coach Mac, he has a passion for the same thing we have a passion about wanting more fans to see his ever-improving football product. Can you really blame him for wanting fans out on Game Day at "OUR" alma mater's football palace? :(NOTE: We will without a doubt have a great crowd for our first CUSA conference game (versus MUTS) in a few weeks, but we should not let that take us off topic of the real need for a "butts in seats" promotion program anyway. We know there are most always 2 games per year at Apogee where we of the entire UNT constituency get very embarrassed by a low turout or attendance...always at least 2 of those...anyway concur?

The first and last Bands Over Texas (Band Day) of which I served on its planning committee began its planning the Spring before the very Fall that this event would occur I suggested it would have to to have time to effectively plan it and for it have a chance to make it worthwhile event. It turned out more than OK according to many of you who were around back then. (Heck, we got Highland Park HS's band up to little ol' Denton to participate so we did something right, eh)? :)

Late GB Marching Band Director Dr. Robert A. Winslow a great guy and nice person (God rest his soul) just didn't want to have 2'nd Annual Bands Over Texas because Band Days just weren't his thing; didn't make him a bad guy, just one who didn't get into Band Days, that's all.

And his fine assistant many of you know today, Dennis Fisher did exactly what Dr. Winslow wanted (or did not want) since he "understandably" sorta' wanted to be a future MG Brigade Director if Winslow ever left town--which he did. Ladies & Gentlemen, as if you didn't know already, so-ooooooo much politics in public university beaurocracies that one has to deal with to get anything done I assure you but still.............THINGS CAN GET DONE UP THERE WITH A LITTLE CO-OPERATION.

I will say what many of you already know: They do "NOT" want us telling them what to do. Honestly, would you if you were in their shoes, too? When we (including me) suggest all these ideas it's sorta' telling them we don't think they are doing their jobs and that alone can be argued since I think their main problem is lack of promotions budget and a promotions department manpower to pull off "large group promotions." Still, more outside the usual pay scale projects such as a, "Band Day", Scout Day, Pee Wee Football Day, Vets Day, etc, etc, ect would benefit our school and its athletic program immensely, especially in the turnstiles area.

Mustang Mania:

When SMU's former promtions guy Brad Thomas (under then SMU AD Russ Potts) had it going on over on the HIlltop

that guy had a literal army of volunteers who helped him with distributions of schedule posters, schedule cards, bumper stickers (of which Russ Potts called "mini billboards" ,etc, etc, etc, You coudn't take a whiz at a local service station bathroom without seeing a "Mustang Mania" bumper sticker plastered on a wall...and I mean it! LOL!

This? I don't think we have the manpower within the UNT Athletic Department to do most all the above, but neither did SMU thus the Brad Thomas Volunteer Army which made SMU promotions happen.

And The Last Game At UNT For Dunbar? Lets say you had several thousand ticket to give-away (and not sure we did) but who out there is giving them away in enough numbers as to even make a small dent in attendance that Game Day versus the MTSU? My bet is that many of those free tickets stayed inside a few desk drawers collecting dust; heck, they may still be there! LOL! Again, UNT Athletics does not have the manpower to make a UTSA type promotions program work and that has always been my take on this subject. I think UTSA took out a page from the Mustang Mania promotions book and is why they have had a great jump start with citizens of San Antonio. Hey! Give the Road Runners a solid "A" for the effort and their pro-activity. ODU and Charlotte are kicking butt in season ticket sales. We do not want UNT to be eating those 3 aforementioned schools dust, especially since our stadium may be a long time for them to duplcate or have anything close to it for the price.

This attendance thing at North Texas many of us feel can be solved, but we just have to take a Big Step One to get the ball rolling, that's all.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I know that I often harp on the abhorrent promotions work done by our athletic department and I am often challenged by the premise that there is 1)Simply not enough budget or 2)Just too much work in our athletic department for our promotions staff to tend to little things like promoting a game. Also, since many seem to ask "do you think you could do better?" and WE ALL KNOW that our athletic department reads this board (though they'd claim otherwise) here is what I would do if I were drawing a paycheck to promote our games. And every one of these ideas costs a grand total of willingness to get off your ass. They can feel free to steal the ideas.

For the MUTS game on Oct. 12th:

Buy one get one free wingzone tickets.

or

$5 wingzone tickets with a limit of 3 or 4

or

Since this is "Family Weekend" give every student that goes to pick up their ticket prior to Thursday of the game week a voucher for a discounted general admission ticket. Reward student initiative to commit to attendance and make it more enticing for a parent to buy a ticket.

First of all I have to say that this topic, while important to a lot of people--and I AGREE that it's important--really whips my ass.

With that out of the way, these are all good ideas. Halloween is a tough-if-not-impossible sell for families with kids, though. There's just not an easy solution there. The idea that I really like above is the wingzone ticket idea. IMO, promote that wing zone with $5 tickets for a couple of games during the year.at least. I would even suggest making ALL the conference games buy one, get one free up to 4. I think the dilemma is whether you devalue the Family Pack by doing that, but I would consider doing it anyway.

These ideas are decent, but the fact that it is on a Thursday and parents have to go to work and kids have to go to school, it does not seem it would get much results. Maybe a few 100 to 1000.

There are enough current students to fill apogee. That is where they are dropping the ball. depending on the community is only a short term solution. They will come and go depending on the success of the team. Die hard fans are fans that are connected to unt win or lose.

I am 43, and I brought my wife and kids to the game and tailgate. Had a good time, and never had to worry about my kids seeing or hearing something I would have to explain. Worked out good for me. Sort of like a baseball or high school sports event. Only problem is...ITS A COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAME!!!!! Its supposed to be rowdy. Only section should be family friendly should be the one with the old alumni.

Trying to make a college football game family friendly is kinda lame. The 20 year old me would crack up laughing at the current me. And I didnt even drink when I was 20. I would think little kids running around in costumes would drive students AWAY. Some people grow up and forget this is still college.

promote the party, national TV at night, unleash the beer, and the students will come. No school on Friday. Turn this thing into a college atmosphere. The drawback, is a lot more money will have to be spent on security and cops.

• Upvote 2

Can I also vote that Scrappy watches all the kids while parents watch the game? Just throwing that out there...

YES.... lets roll with this. Game daycare. And approve alchohol @ Apogee. They'll come in masses.

Locally UCA actually does something like this during the games, for $5 a game per kid or $40 for the season the kids join the kids zone setup at one end of the stadium and usually a Sorority or Fraternity needing community service credits watch the kids during the game, pretty nice deal and the kids still get to see game if they want.

Have numerous drawings/whatever *all* during the game, starting early, and make it well known beforehand.

Do this in order to get butts in the seats in time for KO and keep them there the whole game.

These don't have to be high dollar items. These are college kids and $20 or $40 gift certificates would be enough to keep many interested.

Maybe include a couple of halftime events, i.e. fg kicks, contests, etc. that win $50 or so. I don't think you have to have $25k fg contests to keep them interested.

I believe you're overestimating a college student's perception of worth when it comes to give-aways. Nowadays, iPads are the standard school give-away and anything else tends to go up from there.

Simple solution. We engage our College of Residential Home Construction students and build a row or houses on the Darrel Dickey practice fields for the children to play in. As an added benefit you donate these houses to Habitat for Humanity.

BOOM. Problem solved.

What's that? There is no such thing as a Home Construction college at UNT? We won't be able to use the practice fields to build homes or donate them afterwards? ONE WEEK ISN'T ENOUGH to construct a row of houses???

I think some people just aren't trying hard enough.

• Upvote 1

Plain and simple, this Halloween night game is going to be a disaster if our students don't show up to fill the stands. I've got young kids (9 and 5) and I've already lost this argument 4-5 times over with the wife. Couple it with the fact that it'll be nationally televised and it's going to be that much easier for folks to stay home and watch it on TV.

Any and all advertising/promotions should be limited to our students and local Denton residents.

Love the ideas on the MTSU family weekend game, though.

I'm not so sure about trick-or-treating around tailgates... I don't think this could be put on, or enforced by the AD/promotions folks.

I think I would like to see tents/booths, or something set up around Apogee (outside and inside under the wings) by different student, faculty/admin, & alumni groups. Have them up and ready 2-3 hours before kickoff. Game ticket is your child's admittance to trick-or-treat.

Have a costume contest for kids 12-under.

Have a costume contest for the active students.

The Zombie thing might be cool for the students... or it may be a turn-off?

• Upvote 1

Will say it once again since that is what us older folks specializing in doing but...........

...........if North Texas can get its Wing Zone filled with ticket purchasers and/or freebies for the kids, the only tickets that would be left to sell on Game Day or "walk up" sales would be sideline seats.

The Wing Zone is crucial to our future attendance numbers whether we want to admit it or not. It was empty last Saturday except for a few curiosity seekers and it did not look good on Fox Sports SW. The Wing Zone is ugly on Game Days when empty, if and when full it will be one priceless piece of art.

Again, we know the problem, but lets very soon get some well thought out answers to it.

UNT Athletics cannot be expected to do all this on their own since (again) they do not have the manpower to do such. This will truly take a community effort from all of our UNT constiuencies for us to make head-way and to have eventual success, but I really think this attendance thing can be fixed and I say that after years of seeing it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1