Dogs' defense looking for mass improvement

Harry

In defense of the defense and coordinator Todd Grantham, it has been a worst-case scenario kind of start to the season. Not only were the Bulldogs replacing seven starters and nine players overall who ended up in NFL camps, but the injury and suspension bugaboo could not have been worse in terms of the positions affected.

• Georgia was counting on freshman Tray Matthews to step in at free safety. He missed three weeks of preseason camp with hamstring and shoulder injuries.
  • The Bulldogs were expecting junior Corey Moore to step up at the other safety position. He suffered an LCL sprain in his right knee in early August and came back just last week, fully two weeks ahead of his projected rehabilitation time.
  • Georgia was seeking new blood at outside linebacker to help bolster the pass rush. Three outside linebackers broke bones in their left hands in camp.
  • Grantham developed the star position especially for 6-5, 220-pound sophomore Josh Harvey-Clemons. He ends up getting suspended for the first game.

But now all hands are on deck now. And with last week’s off week and the relative respite that is offered by a mid-major opponent such as North Texas, the Bulldogs have been able to attack this two-week period like an early-season mini-camp. And Grantham is anticipating mass improvement.

“They’re learning,” Grantham said. “I think they’re learning the pace that happens (in games) and the importance of getting lined up and being exact, the importance of communication with the people around you, behind you, inside and outside. I think each time they take the field they get a little better.

Read more: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/uga-sports/2013/sep/16/dogs-defense-looking-mass-improvement/

Grantham? We are about to the point of requesting a new DC. He had an NFL defense last year and we didn't shut anyone down.

Jarvis Jones - Steelers

Alec Ogletree - Rams

John Jenkins - Saints

Bacari Rambo - Skins

Shawn Williams - Bengals

Sanders Cummings - Chiefs

Cornelius Washington - Skins

Buffalo put up 23 pts and 357 total yards of offense, 199 rushing. They finished 4-8 last year. I hope Grantham can put a decent game plan together but I'm not holding my breath on that.