Why not North Texas?

Lurker

OK. Here is my post game rant. Not about the team, or the students, or the fans that were not there, but about one particular row of fans in section 207.

After the long running play on Ball State's opening drive, with the score zero to zero, they were screaming for the firing of Coach Mac. It continued after the touchdown, during the first UNT drive, and it just intesified thoughout the first quarter. Then the taunt became a mocking cry of "Why not North Texas?" based on the statement of Coach Mac.

I had a guest today that was attending a game for the first time. She asked me if our team was really that bad since she knew she was sitting in the Mean Green Club section. What else would she think since these are supposed to be the most dedicated fans and make up the base of our donors. I just commented that they were not playing that well.

And then UNT starting playing better. The taunts continued but with less frequency. By half, the taunts and catcalls were about done. At the start of the second half, UNT made it a 27-24 deficit. I noticed that the guys were no longer shouting but actually looked disappointed by the fact that UNT was coming back. UNT tied it and this continued. Some cheering but a dejected look seemed to be pretty obvious.

UNT rallied to win and I didn't even bother to look to see if they were still pouting. Probably so.

"Why not North Texas?"

In the post game show, Dunham mentioned that we are 9-4 at home in Apogee. We beat a team today that won 9 games last year. We are 2-1 to start a season for the first time since UNT's return to D-1 (according to Dunham). UNT has a great comeback and people look disappointed as they sit in the premium section of seating at our home stadium.

"Why not North Texas?"

Maybe not because our fan base now appears to have surpassed the Dallas Cowboys fanbase as being the most fickle in the world. Four plays into a game and there are people screaming to fire the head coach of a 1-1 team. Maybe it's too many beers in the parking lot but why should anyone look mad when we win? Maybe not because if that is the best we can do as supporters of this program, we don't really deserve better than what we are getting.

To the parents of UNT players, I apologize that you had to listen to that for entire first half. I'm just thankful your young men were good enough today to shut them up for the second half.

• Upvote 7

Post a photo on here of that guy. You guys have smartphones, right? Let's see who this great "fan" is so we can avoid him. No one needs a hater around. This type of person always likes to tear folks down in the hope that it builds them up somehow. Never does, and like you note here, are usually seen as fools.

You guys have smartphones, right?

There's chili and beer and such at tailgating, right? Isn't that the point of all that...indulge before the game, then let it build up until you find someone upon whom to unleash it? You may find a much more enjoyable experience if everyone just happens to wander past him every couple of minutes with a special "gift". #invisiblebomb

There's chili and beer and such at tailgating, right? Isn't that the point of all that...indulge before the game, then let it build up until you find someone upon whom to unleash it? You may find a much more enjoyable experience if everyone just happens to wander past him every couple of minutes with a special "gift". #invisiblebomb

LOL

Lurker, we sit in 208 and were about 15 feet away from that guy. He looked angry once we began to turn things around. Dumb.

We also sit in 208, but not sure that I saw/heard the chants that Lurker mentioned.

I really don't get too up-in-arms about long-time fans that get really down when things are going badly (e.g. first quarter of today's game). We've all been kicked in the nads enough over the years - I think the Debbie Downer reaction is just a natural defense mechanism ;)

Even after getting kicked in the nads over and over, year after year, these hardened Mean Green fans keep buying season tickets, coming to games, and they stay in their seats when the team goes down 20-3 in the first quarter.

A game like today goes a LONG way toward making people believe that this thing really is turning around. When we started our 2nd half comeback, I kept thinking "if we can somehow pull this thing out against a very good Ball State team, people are going to start believing in this team".

I think there really is something different about the 2013 edition of the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1