Terrible

unt_rocket09

Go re-read his post...he is not talking about promotions...he is referring to the BOR and their handling of RV's contract. It really isn't that hard to understand. And, can't take anything you say seriously as we don't know which of your split personalities is actually posting or why. :-)

Considering promotions is part of RV's responsibilities, I absolutely was referring to promotions, along with so many other on the field and coaching hire failures in RV's tenor.

Wasn't he extended 5 years by the BOR in a unanimous vote? Or was it longer?

Not deserved at this point, especially with the recent basketball deconstruction he iis overseeing. No other FBS AD with his won/loss percentage, without a successful coaching hire since 2001 (or whenever JJ was hired), and coming off an unmitigated disaster of a basketball hire would have received an extension.

RV keeps the budget right (Lord knows he doesn't spend anything to promote football games) and that is pretty much the only concern of the BOR.

Then again, maybe all of them care more about their personal relationship with RV.

The one thing they make clear through their actions is that they don't care about successful athletic programs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was in the group that complained about Batchelder after reading his profile. Who is responsible for the wrong information? So, who is in direct charge of promotions? Whoever has the responsibility of promotional operations, student involvement and related activities should be fired unless they have a solid excuse why they haven't been doing their job.

I'll admit it's been hard to promote a losing team but it's imperative that we try. Otherwise, all of these capital expenditureswill have been in vain. Appearing on natiional TV with such a sparse crowd was a black eye of great magnitude. Without promotions we will remain stuck where we are. A bowl champion might add another few hundred season tickets but,season tickets are not totally going to cure our ills. We need people in the seats that purchase tickets on game day or game week. Get some to try it...especially the youth. Get the local citizenry involved with city days, high school days, band days, giveaway days...whatever it takes and the mind can conceive. Hold pep rallies on campus and use portable LED boards to get the students involved. Promote...Promote...Promote.

While I'm tossing brickbats at the Promotion Dept. (or whatever passes for it) let me pass a few plaudits to the people who sell advertising. We have been blessed with good advertising support by local, regional and even national accounts. Special kudos to the "Wheels Club" and those restaurants that advertise with us. I hope that we'll try to use those restaurants before any others when we are in Denton or any other city that they serve.

I see a peephole of light beginning to shine on this program if we can just keep winning. Promotion is a very important element in broadening that peephole.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I was in the group that complained about Batchelder after reading his profile. Who is responsible for the wrong information? So, who is in direct charge of promotions? Whoever has the responsibility of promotional operations, student involvement and related activities should be fired unless they have a solid excuse why they haven't been doing their job.

I'll admit it's been hard to promote a losing team but it's imperative that we try. Otherwise, all of these capital expenditureswill have been in vain. Appearing on natiional TV with such a sparse crowd was a black eye of great magnitude. Without promotions we will remain stuck where we are. A bowl champion might add another few hundred season tickets but,season tickets are not totally going to cure our ills. We need people in the seats that purchase tickets on game day or game week. Get some to try it...especially the youth. Get the local citizenry involved with city days, high school days, band days, giveaway days...whatever it takes and the mind can conceive. Hold pep rallies on campus and use portable LED boards to get the students involved. Promote...Promote...Promote.

While I'm tossing brickbats at the Promotion Dept. (or whatever passes for it) let me pass a few plaudits to the people who sell advertising. We have been blessed with good advertising support by local, regional and even national accounts. Special kudos to the "Wheels Club" and those restaurants that advertise with us. I hope that we'll try to use those restaurants before any others when we are in Denton or any other city that they serve.

I see a peephole of light beginning to shine on this program if we can just keep winning. Promotion is a very important element in broadening that peephole.

Uh.......ditto.

We now have more good things happening than negative these days and hasn't winning a couple thus far even made broccoli sprouts taste so much better? Yet promotions that get significantly more fans in the stands seems to be our weak link in our chain right now.

I don't think any one of us who buy tickets to watch the Mean Green would have any problem whatsever if Denton and Denton area kids were to get in free in the upper Wing Zone. :goodjob: I applaud the efforts of our athletic department yesterday for those some 700 or 800 kids we saw at the Ball State game yesterday.....at least, that is a start.

And what negative could kids who get in free (or with a canned good as their "ticket to the game") possibly produce? We would have all loved those Fox Sports SW cameras panning a near filled or nice representation of kids (with mom and/or dad) in the Wing Zone yesterday

....that is, filled with highly impressionable and admiring kids many of whom would have never been to a college football game in their young lifetimes.. Heck, I was darn near 11 years old before I attended my first college football game at Rice Stadium in the Fall of '61. That Rice/Baylor game made a gigantic impression on me even so long ago. Heck! Here I am today still talking about it! LOL! :)

For North Texas, there are so many "built in" promos out there with "built in" significant numbers of fans tied to those promos and with future UNT students(?) involved with many of them that if we would at minimum give such promos the good ol' college try and try em' out next Fall (since this year's promotions are in the can--so to speak). Gray Eagle has mentioned several of some of those that I think would be a natural fit for U of North Texas to put on their Game Day promotions.

Let me add this.............Dan McCarney, his coaches and our school's football team feel hurt when they see empty seats no matter how hot the weather or even if being televised in DFW when so many could stay home and watch in the comfort of their living rooms. Well our players were playing in full gear yesterday and it had to be at least 100 degrees on the stadium floor at Kick-Off. Nevertheless, all coaches and their players want to play in front of a big crowd--wouldn't any of us? :( All this promotions business to me is still a work in progress and I think is one that can be solved once the first Big Step is made to solve it.

It was never lost on me back in the day that one of the things Hayden Fry said right after he left North Texas was how the Iowa fans showed up in the snow in freezing weather and en mass at Kinnick Stadium even after 20 or so losing season in a row for the Hawkeyes.

I know this state is "front runner fan-crazy" for the Longhorns and Aggies--but guess what sports fans? UT and Texas A & M have filled their stadiums which means..... there's no room at the inn in either Austin and College Station. And that translates to this very cold harsh fact too which is..........they do not have room for you, any of your families or any of your friends. If you want to be a Longhorn or Aggie go to Walmart and buy yourself an orange or maroon shirt because Walmart is as close to those 2 football programs as anyone is going to get. (But don't wear those orange or maroon shirts to our alma mater if you don't mind).

:thumbsu: Good new is.....we do have room at Apogee Stadium at this moment in our school's athletic history and FWIW.... Apogee is a pretty doggone' nice play for fans of all ages to experience a college football Game Day. Just like many of you, I, too, had an absolute blast yesterday at Apogee Stadium!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas is a football state. At least everywhere but here!

Pretty sure most UTEP fans would considers their school more of a basketball school first. That said it doesn't really matter if it's a football state. If we could ever become nationally prominent in basketball then by all means I'll take North Texas being a basketball first school and be really awesome at it.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume who is responsible for the failure in promotions for one specific reason. Now, I don't know the guy at all, but depending upon which department you're in at any given time, there tend to be a lot of conversations that go something like this:

"Hey, can I--"

"No."

"But what if--"

"No."

"Do you think that--"

"No."

"Uh...okay."

It's not everywhere all of the time, but no matter how good you COULD be at your job, if you aren't given any leeway to actually get out there and DO it, you aren't to blame. And again, it could be that this Batchelder guy is just awful at promotions. But as we've seen before, there are some people who just hate any idea that isn't theirs...even if they don't have any ideas of their own either. So it could be that the people who want to get more done are just being shut down when they try. So before anybody wants to start calling for a change in terms of promotions personnel, it would probably be helpful to know exactly who is deciding that no promotion is better than a new promotion.

And adding to Plumm's rant...remember, at Apogee, you can actually SEE THE GAME you're attending!

Well, his actual title is "Senior Associate AD, Marketing" and the only other people with marketing in their titles are Jamie Adams "Assistant Athletic Director, Marketing & Promotions" who's under Batchelder, and Kayla Spears "Coordinator of Marketing and Promotions" who was an intern last year and who's only responsible for social media and marketing the olympic sports.

It's either Batchelder or RV or both. I'd say both, because in the end, it's RV's job to make sure the right people are in place to get this stuff done.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

That's kind of where I was going with it. If Rick has given him a very small sphere in which to work (or was told to do so by the BOR, Prez, etc) then his hands are tied. That being said, there may be some other behind-the-scenes political games going on with any of those entities. "We won't push for a Denton this-or-that game promotion until they do this other thing for us, or because they were mean about XYZ" is not out of the realm of possibilities.

The only reason I'm thinking along those lines is because Rick has pushed for this huge culture change (regardless of how well you think he's done it) and it just seems weird that he wouldn't want to be involved in bigger city- and region-wide promotions unless somebody else told him to hold off for one reason or another. It just doesn't add up...a lot of what has been mentioned in the "why don't we" comments seem like they are not only obvious choices for good promotions, but also things that Rick would probably be into.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is one of those stories we hear details about 20 years after somebody retires..."Well, we were going to do all that stuff, but so-and-so was having a pissing match with the Denton this-or-that and that made it impossible." Obviously that's all supposition, but since many of us are aware of this sort of thing going on (and not just the old stories about the AD administrations past, but other parts of the University as well), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was the case.

When I think marketing and promotions, I think of reaching out to new fans and creating a buzz locally. Only winning will bring in the amount of new fans we are looking for in my opinion.

UNTs issue is getting those that are already connected to the school to come out and stay connected. Student organizations are what keep people connected, especially after graduation. Student organizations also determine the atmosphere of the school you attend. Frats and sororities have the potential to bring thousands of students and alums, but it seems as if the school and program has not embraced them. Just by looking at the tailgate, you can tell the school is not pro fraternity.

And its not just SOCIAL frats. Theres all kinds of frats and organizations. Just look at big games and you can see the groups of organizations. Whether you drink/party or not, when you go to a college campus, you still expect to see people having a good time.

If not, it is considered LAME!!!!

Sorry folks. I know some us have gotten old and now we want the place to be family friendly and mannerable. No alcohol? Really? im not even a drinker and didnt really drink in college, but I knew it came with the territory. Its a FOOTBALL game. Its supposed to be fun and rowdy. Trying to have a classy college football game is LAME.

• Upvote 1

If you want to get some of the other student organizations involved, there has to be some sort of "gimme". I'm thinking especially of where you mentioned the frats that aren't social ones...I was in the freshman honors, political science, and pre-law ones, and we didn't do much event planning other than stuff specifically related to the organization's purpose (speakers, career fairs, etc.).

So if you want to get a draw from the accounting, music, pre-law, poli sci, and every other academic fraternity, it would be hard, but if there was a halftime academic recognition event or something (you know, "departmental spirit in front of the whole school" for the sake of showing off the big brains of your students), it could work. Make it a big deal, have the advisors push for attendance so that every honors society and department-based fraternal organization showed up in big numbers. If successful, that could yield a good 10,000 more in attendance.

Lots of people join those organizations, and if this was pushed by their faculty sponsors so the honors society or department could show off a bit, you could have one hell of a halftime event and a whole lot of people in the stands. Plus it would go a long way in terms of bridging the academic-athletic gap that so many people still feel is there.

If you want to get some of the other student organizations involved, there has to be some sort of "gimme". I'm thinking especially of where you mentioned the frats that aren't social ones...I was in the freshman honors, political science, and pre-law ones, and we didn't do much event planning other than stuff specifically related to the organization's purpose (speakers, career fairs, etc.).

So if you want to get a draw from the accounting, music, pre-law, poli sci, and every other academic fraternity, it would be hard, but if there was a halftime academic recognition event or something (you know, "departmental spirit in front of the whole school" for the sake of showing off the big brains of your students), it could work. Make it a big deal, have the advisors push for attendance so that every honors society and department-based fraternal organization showed up in big numbers. If successful, that could yield a good 10,000 more in attendance.

Lots of people join those organizations, and if this was pushed by their faculty sponsors so the honors society or department could show off a bit, you could have one hell of a halftime event and a whole lot of people in the stands. Plus it would go a long way in terms of bridging the academic-athletic gap that so many people still feel is there.

Jesse, you pretty much get what I am a talking about. Give organizations spots to tailgate. It would become something like a roll call and chance to show pride in your organization. The theme could just be as simple as REPRESENT. Most organizations would view this as being called out and would want to have a good showing a look good. Dont want the other organizations to out do us.

Most social frats are in the whole pissing contest deal, so it wouldnt be hard to use that as an advantage. Maybe even have designated seats and areas at the game. Maybe the endzone. Bring your party to the game. The frats will do all the pub for you to insure thier section is full and hype.

Highlight the orgs on the big screen having fun and showing school spirit. This was a televised game. A chance to be on TV? How can that not be an incentive?

So if you want to get a draw from the accounting

When I look at the recent alumni donor section in the program, about half of them are my accounting classmates from the past five years. The interest is there, but it is admittedly tough to get them out while in school. I recall spending more than a few Saturday evenings in group research work. It's a time rigorous schedule, but they do like to get out there, and they don't mind writing a check or two later on.

OK so, Webster's defines "Promotion" as: "The act of furthering the growth or development of something". Seems about right to me. So, if that is the case...what IS North Texas doing to "promote" athletic attendance?

Well, just off the top of my head, and just this year so far I can think of the following:

1) 100 Years of Football Celebration- remember...this promo started as far back as last basketball season!

2) Throw Back Uniforms and sales of same after use

3) Coordination with DISD Transportation to get buses of middle schoolers to attend

4) Coordination with Denton Transportation to offer FREE ride passes to and from the game last Saturday

5) Passing out free green UNT sung;asses at the game - remember GreenP1 was ready to run over a 12 year old to get a pair!

6) Beyond the Green TV series

7) Coach Mac Radio Show each Monday

8) Newspaper Ads announcing games and prices, etc. in local papers weekly

9) TV ads

10) 9 televised football games

11) Being Part of student orientation and getting about 4000 into Apogee with a Pep rally prior to the season (not that many years ago Athletics was not involved in student orientation AT ALL (and not so much their fault either).

12) Wheel Club

13) Restaurant partnerships

14) Twilight Tunes on the Square on the Square...always a UNT Athletics presence at each event

15) Denton Jazz Fest participation - Big Athletics presence each year...tons of interaction with UNT Staff and Denton businesses

16) Pre-Season Coaching Tour stops in multiple Cities

OK, that's 16 and enough for now...am sure I have left some out, and am more than sure that some will criticize these as not "promotions", but Webster's Dictionary (and me) would disagree. They all are designed to help promote UNT Athletics and especially football at this time of year. What do you want? Bubble head doll give-a-ways? Ticket give-a-ways? Free this and free that? Folks here yell loud and long about "just win"...but then it really isn't just win, is it?

Anyone have any idea what funds are spent and how much is available for "promotions"? Again...compare UNT to anyone you like...but UNT does a lot with very little when it comes to budget and staff numbers. EVERYONE, and I mean, EVERYONE is wearing multiple hats and doing multiple tasks. Heck, some...like Paul Batchelder get hooked with having to work with folks like me when it is time for the GMG.Com Flag football, basketball and now softball games. AND, believe it or not...it does take some effort and time. At a couple of other schools I am very familiar with, and which will remain nameless here, those duties would be assigned to one of the multitude (and I do mean multitude) of lower level staffers to handle...UNT does not have this luxury.

Have talked with the great drex many times about this...I can not count the number of interesting and fun ideas he has related to me over the years that he wanted to try but was not able to get any traction for them for one reason or another.

I can also tell you from very personal experience that, try as you may, the "fans" and alums of the Mean Green are much more talk than action when it comes to putting their time and money where their mouths are. Yes, this too is changing for the better, but so many want "something for nothing" or they want $500 in tangible hard value for their $100 effort. Oldguystudent will tell you from his accounting background that such a proposition is a losing proposition.

Someone mentioned banners on street signs in Ft. Worth...BEEN THERE DONE THAT in Denton as well. If you didn't notice it means you did not drive down Carroll Blvd. in Denton...one of the main drags in town.

So, are promotions perfect? Nope...not one ever is, but to say that there are no promotional efforts going on and that this person or that should be fired, is just plain IGNORANT! One can argue if the promotions are effective or the best bang for the buck or aimed at the correct audience or whatever, but one is simply not looking if they think nothing is being done from a promotional perspective. And, yes, promotional efforts cross job descriptions and departments when staffs are as small as the in number as the UNT one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The proof is in the pudding. Our athletics budget has almost doubled since 2004, but the marketing is nearly identical outside of Beyond the Green, which I'm sure has nothing to do with Batchelder.

It takes our students/alums taking time out of their schedules to canvas Denton and get schedule posters put up. There are virtually no cross promotions with the city of Denton. If you drove through Denton, you'd have very little idea that there is a football game going on. Hell, even driving through the campus how much advertising is there? Don't even talk about marketing in neighboring Lewisville or down the road to Frisco, The Colony, and Carrollton. UTSA has promotions with KFC and we can't even do something simple with New York Sub Hub, Chicken Express, Rudy's or any other chain that I'm sure would be very open to it?

I will come right out and say it. The job these guys are doing is pathetic. If you want to point to these things and say they're doing a great job, fine. I respectfully disagree and thought they should have been fired years ago.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am going to side with Kram on this one -- Paul has been very helpful in all of the events we have done and I think he does a nice job. We just need to win. Beating Ball State was a good start but the promotions people had a tough task with the Alabama TAMU game going against us on Saturday. The heat doesn't help either especially with the students who are facing it in their section. I am sure there are always places you can improve on but I still believe consistent winning cures all that ails, attendance, recruiting etc. We have unfortunately had a near decade of losing football and hopefully this season will get that turned around.

I am going to side with Kram on this one -- Paul has been very helpful in all of the events we have done and I think he does a nice job. We just need to win. Beating Ball State was a good start but the promotions people had a tough task with the Alabama TAMU game going against us on Saturday. The heat doesn't help either especially with the students who are facing it in their section. I am sure there are always places you can improve on but I still believe consistent winning cures all that ails, attendance, recruiting etc. We have unfortunately had a near decade of losing football and hopefully this season will get that turned around.

Another thing we're fighting when beating Ball State is beating a school that I'm willing to bet the majority of average people out there have never heard of them or know where they are. I can see people saying "who is Ball State" or "it's not like they beat anybody we've heard of before". That's just the reality that I see unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Consistent winning helps a lot, but it doesn't eclipse why the program is invisible to the east of Welch or south of Eagle. It was honestly shocking to me when I started a project a couple years ago in San Marcos and saw the presence Texas State has on their square and around town in general. They were an FCS team at the time starting the transition to FBS.

Look at how much marketing UTSA does. We may make jokes about the KFC promotion, but when is the last time you saw an NT promotion that registered locally let alone nationally? They get people in the stands week in and week out regardless of who they're playing.

I'll save the rest of my gripes since I don't want this to turn too negative, and just say that when you have the wrong people in place, the bare minimum gets done.

OK so, Webster's defines "Promotion" as: "The act of furthering the growth or development of something". Seems about right to me. So, if that is the case...what IS North Texas doing to "promote" athletic attendance?

Well, just off the top of my head, and just this year so far I can think of the following:

1) 100 Years of Football Celebration- remember...this promo started as far back as last basketball season!

2) Throw Back Uniforms and sales of same after use

3) Coordination with DISD Transportation to get buses of middle schoolers to attend

4) Coordination with Denton Transportation to offer FREE ride passes to and from the game last Saturday

5) Passing out free green UNT sung;asses at the game - remember GreenP1 was ready to run over a 12 year old to get a pair!

6) Beyond the Green TV series

7) Coach Mac Radio Show each Monday

8) Newspaper Ads announcing games and prices, etc. in local papers weekly

9) TV ads

10) 9 televised football games

11) Being Part of student orientation and getting about 4000 into Apogee with a Pep rally prior to the season (not that many years ago Athletics was not involved in student orientation AT ALL (and not so much their fault either).

12) Wheel Club

13) Restaurant partnerships

14) Twilight Tunes on the Square on the Square...always a UNT Athletics presence at each event

15) Denton Jazz Fest participation - Big Athletics presence each year...tons of interaction with UNT Staff and Denton businesses

16) Pre-Season Coaching Tour stops in multiple Cities

OK, that's 16 and enough for now...am sure I have left some out, and am more than sure that some will criticize these as not "promotions", but Webster's Dictionary (and me) would disagree. They all are designed to help promote UNT Athletics and especially football at this time of year. What do you want? Bubble head doll give-a-ways? Ticket give-a-ways? Free this and free that? Folks here yell loud and long about "just win"...but then it really isn't just win, is it?

Anyone have any idea what funds are spent and how much is available for "promotions"? Again...compare UNT to anyone you like...but UNT does a lot with very little when it comes to budget and staff numbers. EVERYONE, and I mean, EVERYONE is wearing multiple hats and doing multiple tasks. Heck, some...like Paul Batchelder get hooked with having to work with folks like me when it is time for the GMG.Com Flag football, basketball and now softball games. AND, believe it or not...it does take some effort and time. At a couple of other schools I am very familiar with, and which will remain nameless here, those duties would be assigned to one of the multitude (and I do mean multitude) of lower level staffers to handle...UNT does not have this luxury.

Have talked with the great drex many times about this...I can not count the number of interesting and fun ideas he has related to me over the years that he wanted to try but was not able to get any traction for them for one reason or another.

I can also tell you from very personal experience that, try as you may, the "fans" and alums of the Mean Green are much more talk than action when it comes to putting their time and money where their mouths are. Yes, this too is changing for the better, but so many want "something for nothing" or they want $500 in tangible hard value for their $100 effort. Oldguystudent will tell you from his accounting background that such a proposition is a losing proposition.

Someone mentioned banners on street signs in Ft. Worth...BEEN THERE DONE THAT in Denton as well. If you didn't notice it means you did not drive down Carroll Blvd. in Denton...one of the main drags in town.

So, are promotions perfect? Nope...not one ever is, but to say that there are no promotional efforts going on and that this person or that should be fired, is just plain IGNORANT! One can argue if the promotions are effective or the best bang for the buck or aimed at the correct audience or whatever, but one is simply not looking if they think nothing is being done from a promotional perspective. And, yes, promotional efforts cross job descriptions and departments when staffs are as small as the in number as the UNT one.

My gripe isn't Denton. Well, it kinda is. We do not have enough publicity. There needs to be stuff hanging in the square, lots of advertising to come party there before/after the game, deals for tickets through stuff there, etc.

Also, FOCUS ELSEWHERE. We're NORTH Texas. Get the local towns behind us. The local towns are ripe for the picking. Justin. Sanger. Gainesville. Etc. it's frustrating.

• Upvote 1

The proof is in the pudding. Our athletics budget has almost doubled since 2004, but the marketing is nearly identical outside of Beyond the Green, which I'm sure has nothing to do with Batchelder.

It takes our students/alums taking time out of their schedules to canvas Denton and get schedule posters put up. There are virtually no cross promotions with the city of Denton. If you drove through Denton, you'd have very little idea that there is a football game going on. Hell, even driving through the campus how much advertising is there? Don't even talk about marketing in neighboring Lewisville or down the road to Frisco, The Colony, and Carrollton. UTSA has promotions with KFC and we can't even do something simple with New York Sub Hub, Chicken Express, Rudy's or any other chain that I'm sure would be very open to it?

I will come right out and say it. The job these guys are doing is pathetic. If you want to point to these things and say they're doing a great job, fine. I respectfully disagree and thought they should have been fired years ago.

You seem to be "sure" about a lot of things. Care to explain why you are so "sure" or is it just your opinion? Have you ever talked to any of those folks you say would be "sure things"? I have...two you mention ARE doing things...amazing that someone who is so sure did not already know that. So, please, let us know how you are so "sure".

Many efforts have been made over the past several years to get local businesses to "sign on" and help. Most efforts go for naught..some still today will not hang up a UNT poster even. But, if you will look...I mean, really...when is the last time you did? You should notice more and more local businesses at least displaying Mean Green stuff. I noticed several this weekend displaying spirit signs before the game. Lots of room for improvement, but improvement is being made..some just need to open their eyes, and perhaps have a bit more perspective on the up hill battle in Denton this entails. Ask anyone who spends time with local merchants asking for their support for the Mean Green! When is the last time you were involved in any of this? Just wondering as you seem so sure about so many things.

Also...you do know of the watch parties for away games set up between the athletic dept. and the local Hooter's right? Sort of a partnership thing like you ask for...come on down for Mean Green food and drink specials...before and after the games...you know, that sort of thing!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 2