UNT running game

GOMG2013

The running game has to get going, if we are going to win. It has been mentioned a few times in the loss, but not nearly as much as the secondary and DT. In my opinion, they did the worst out of any unit and did not bring much. The secondary gave up big plays, but they also made big plays and it evened out. DT made mistakes, but he is who he is and at least he made some plays and we tied it up.

The running game is supposed to be our strength and they performed below average. We're supposed to be a run first team.MI'm just throwing stuff out there...do we have too many backs in the rotation now? I think we need to pick 2 that get the majority of the carries. I have never ran the ball, but I have heard rbs want carries and like to get in a rythm. Does the crowded backfield create a situation where the backs are trying to make the big play with the limited carries they will get? Instead of being satisfied with a tough 5 yards, they want big plays.

If we are going to be a run first team. We also need a fast change of pace back. One that can get to the hole quick and can take it to the house. Seems like we have 3 very similar backs. Hopefully we go out there and get those 5 tough yards and open things up in the passing game.

I agree that the running game will have to be a lot better. But Army had 363 rushing yards against Ball State, so that alone is not going to do it.

And I've wondered about having too many RBs in the rotation myself. And if one RB was to get a significantly increased share of the load, I imagine there would be some debate about who it would be. But Byrd has looked the best of the main 3 so far this year (I wouldn't say that about last year), and I think he's got a higher top gear than the other 2. But from what I hear, Rollins may be our fastest and most explosive.