Avg Income of Alumni By School

One's career choice and major has a lot to do with it...lots of teachers and musicians graduate from UNT...and that's a great thing, but these careers do not often offer the highest starting salaries. And...averages suck!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

---Median salary is often better to compare than mean (avg. to most people) salary . As I point out to my students, if Bill Gates just enrolled in my class, then the average net worth would be over a billion each. His presence however would do nearly nothing to the median.

---One oddity about teacher salaries is that many don't pay any kid care for about 2.5 months which others often have to pay ... and for every $100 paid out other need to earn about $150 (taxes) ... plus many (me) do a lot of self-work which is completely unreported as income... example: yard care or painting their own house, doing lots of repairs in the summer etc. For example instead of paying $2000 for a paint job which they would have to earn $3000+ to have the money to pay because of taxes ... they do the work for a few $100.

--A lot of the "mean" has to do with which majors or degrees are awarded...and not so much about the school name. Schools with large number of engineering degrees should average more.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---One oddity about teacher salaries is that many don't pay any kid care for about 2.5 months which others often have to pay ... and for every $100 paid out other need to earn about $150 (taxes) ... plus many (me) do a lot of self-work which is completely unreported as income... example: yard care or painting their own house, doing lots of repairs in the summer etc. For example instead of paying $2000 for a paint job which they would have to earn $3000+ to have the money to pay because of taxes ... they do the work for a few $100.

Huh??!!

Yeah and they also go to work at 8:00 and quit at 3:00 ..... odd that I have seen many midnights and was grading papers or doing school related work.... Most men teachers and many women that don't have small kids in summers have another job.... I taught summer college math classes every summer from 1978 on (except one). I am now retired from public school but still teach college classes... and in 1/2 of the summer.... which usually contain a lot of Aggies and TxTech people home for the summer...

Students do this largely to avoid the super large classes at "mega-Universities" taught by TAs that don't know what they are really doing and often can't speak English worth a darn.. Odd these people can teach at a large university with a graduate program but are not qualified to teach at any small or community college.... think about the difference in the education students are getting in the first two years... which is better.? Having a rookie TA with no teaching background or a person who has taught for years. That is why our transfer students (according to reports from major colleges back to us) have a better GPA than those that started there. NT is one of the best at reporting back to informing community colleges about their former students. I have had students from every major university in Texas and most of the Big-XII.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

Teacher accounting to keep us all off kilter and believing that they don't really have three months off each year.

dude...it's only 2 months in the summer, not 3...and don't forget about two weeks at christmas, spring break, week at thanksgiving...i like my days off...i've taught for 13 years and am a lucky dude. summers with the kids and all holidays so i don't 'have to worry about finding a place for them. i am also one of the rare teachers that leaves everything at school...i take nothing home, so i really do only work from 745-345...can't complain at all...

• Upvote 1

dude...it's only 2 months in the summer, not 3...and don't forget about two weeks at christmas, spring break, week at thanksgiving...i like my days off...i've taught for 13 years and am a lucky dude. summers with the kids and all holidays so i don't 'have to worry about finding a place for them. i am also one of the rare teachers that leaves everything at school...i take nothing home, so i really do only work from 745-345...can't complain at all...

Yeah and they also go to work at 8:00 and quit at 3:00 ..... odd that I have seen many midnights and was grading papers or doing school related work.... Most men teachers and many women that don't have small kids in summers have another job.... I taught summer college math classes every summer from 1978 on (except one). I am now retired from public school but still teach college classes... and in 1/2 of the summer.... which usually contain a lot of Aggies and TxTech people home for the summer...

Well, that is interesting...

I have no bitterness at all toward teachers. I taught for a few years, took it seriously, and loved it. Would've made it a career if I could've afforded to do so. To me, it was a lifestyle, and it was great.

Having had that experience, there is nothing a teacher can say to me that will convince me their lives are so saturated with school and school related work that they've simply no time, blah blah blah. My work/life balance today is not even remotely comparable to that when I was teaching. But I also get compensated for it accordingly. I think what most people want is a teacher's salary and a CFO's compensation. There just aren't that many positions in the universe that give a person both.

my wife and i are both teachers and we survive just fine...i make enough money...hell...i might even be overpaid!!! hahahah...

and i do take my job seriously...but it's just my job/career...not my life...i don't want to be consumed by my career...