Pete Lembo, Cardinals ready for norm

Harry

MUNCIE — As Ball State’s footballicon1.png team and its coach, Pete Lembo, turn their attention toward North Texas, they make a return to something after a one-week hiatus.

The conventional.

Specifically after facing Army’s offense and defense that sit as far outliers on the current football landscape, the Mean Greenicon1.png will run more standard schemes when the Cardinals (2-0) make their trip to the Texas heat to play Saturday in Denton. North Texas opened the season splitting games with Idaho (a 40-6 win) and Ohio (27-21 loss).

Lembo characterized the Mean Green defense as a unit that didn’t go for the complex, but ran its system well.

“They’re not overly complicated, but they’re extremely ruggedicon1.png,” Lembo said during Monday’s Mid-American Conference Coaches Teleconference. “They fit things very, very well. They’re fundamentally sound. Everybody is keeping things inside and in front. It’s very hard to get explosive plays against them.”

Ohio coach Frank Solich, who also spoke on the teleconference, broke down the Mean Green attack as one that wanted to hammer away with several large backs.

Read more: http://www.indystar.com/article/20130910/SPORTS06/309100025/Ball-State-football-Pete-Lembo-Cardinals-ready-norm

I'd say that they got that right. There may be no one more convential than we are. We are still trying to iron out mistakes in a vanilla offense and defense.

This is the most important game of our season thus far. Win it and we come out of Georgia 2-2 before going into conference play. We could break even and still get a bowl bid. Lose it and we would be 1-3 OOC (again) and attendance for the four remaining home games will take a jolt. Even if we won enough to actually get a bowl invite it would likely be at the least desirable location. If this program is truly turning around now is the time to prove it.

I know that it's early but I'm beginning to lose faith that this team is much different than teams from the past ten years. We do have better players, improved speed and conditioning, and great senior leaders in Orr and Trice but we can't seem to overcome mistakes. We cannot overpower anyone and mostly we shouldn't try. Don't be so predictable that the opponent knows our playbook as well as we do.

I will, as I always do, be there every game that I possibly can pulling for the Mean Green. Maybe I am wrong about this team and coaching but if I am, please prove me wrong this Saturday.

MUNCIE As Ball States footballicon1.png team and its coach, Pete Lembo, turn their attention toward North Texas, they make a return to something after a one-week hiatus.

The conventional.

Specifically after facing Armys offense and defense that sit as far outliers on the current football landscape, the Mean Greenicon1.png will run more standard schemes when the Cardinals (2-0) make their trip to the Texas heat to play Saturday in Denton.

RUN being the key word. Especially on 1st down.

Looks like they have already figured out our gameplan.

• Upvote 1