Different year, same Mac play calling (8-27 passing on 1st downs)

UNT90

Is it any wonder that your QB struggles when you constantly put him in a position to lose?

From the first half of the first game he coached at UNT, that has been Mac's calling card. Remember that FIU game? I do. Nary a 1st down pass until the end of the second quarter. Think things have changed? Nope.

We had 16 first downs in the 1st half and threw the ball 3 times. Yes, we threw 5 times in 11 second half 1st downs, but we were playing from behind. Even playing from behind, we had still only thrown the ball 3 times on 9 second half 1st downs until the last 2 desperate possessions of the game.

If I were really anal, I would go back and take a look at how many of those 1st down passes were thrown over 10 yards downfield. I bet WAY less than half.

This is a defensive coach trying not to lose games instead of trying to win. Same pattern as last year. I told you guys not to believe the BS coach speak about a "wide open offense." Pure crap. Doing the same thing as last year.

The defense actually gave me hope for conference play, but with an offense as predictable as the seasons, I see a lot of close losses in our future and a 1-3 record heading into conference play.