Manziel to miss first half of Rice game

Harry

Is this surprising to ANYONE?!

I knew this whole time that a four letter organization was making all the calls, and it wasn't NCAA it was ESPN. Under NO circumstances was the Johnny Football train, and especially the aTm/Alabama game, going to be derailed by something as simple as cheating.

As an aside we are now counting the days until the "big boy" conferences use this decision and others to break away from the NCAA under the guise of not trusting their ability to uphold order.

I actually think this was the NCAA telling the AQ teams and their networks that they are going to help them out even more so that they won't leave. But its still just a matter of time. The NCAA is a dying organization for college football that involves AQ teams and conferences. Just like with a college football playoff, once these schools and conferences finally saw the $$$ available to them, it was just a matter of time before it got adopted--the same thing will happen to the NCAA getting left behind by the AQs.

I expect a Benford-esqe performance from JFF and TA&M this year.

Based on what? Your misplaced disdain? Don't think so. I'm not a huge (notice I said not huge, I didn't say not at all. I have alum relatives here) A&M fan but I'm rooting for this guy. Sorry if its not the prevailing opinion on GMG. Put me in the camp that thinks all CFB players should be getting a reasonable stipend. I realize that whatever he may or may not have been paid, let's say it is 30 grand, obviously that is not what folks would consider a "reasonable stipend". I don't care. Sticking it to the NCAA in this sense is something I'm ok with.

Does my stance benefit UNT's place in NCAA pecking order right now? Maybe not, but that's ok - I still believe a stipend could be reasonably managed to a point where even the little guys could find a way to afford it.

Based on what? Your misplaced disdain? Don't think so. I'm not a huge (notice I said not huge, I didn't say not at all. I have alum relatives here) A&M fan but I'm rooting for this guy. Sorry if its not the prevailing opinion on GMG. Put me in the camp that thinks all CFB players should be getting a reasonable stipend. I realize that whatever he may or may not have been paid, let's say it is 30 grand, obviously that is not what folks would consider a "reasonable stipend". I don't care. Sticking it to the NCAA in this sense is something I'm ok with.

Does my stance benefit UNT's place in NCAA pecking order right now? Maybe not, but that's ok - I still believe a stipend could be reasonably managed to a point where even the little guys could find a way to afford it.

Yeah. Like a "stipend" that pays for tuition/books/room&board? Student-athletes totally deserve a "stipend" like that!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah. Like a "stipend" that pays for tuition/books/room&board? Student-athletes totally deserve a "stipend" like that!

No, like - a stipend for earning his university over 38 million dollars. THAT kind of stipend. So they can't throw him a bone of a benjamin franklin note once a month? That's going to break these institutions? I just feel the tuition/books/board "you should be grateful" position is indefensible.

No, like - a stipend for earning his university over 38 million dollars. THAT kind of stipend. So they can't throw him a bone of a benjamin franklin note once a month? That's going to break these institutions? I just feel the tuition/books/board "you should be grateful" position is indefensible.

OK. So you're going to give Manziel a "stipend" of $X. What are you giving Matt Joekel, his backup? Anything? He's not making them any money. The Matt Joekel jerseys aren't selling all that well.

And would you not have been grateful to go to school for free? HELLO!?!? Depending on which school you go to, you're talking $40k (UNT) - $160k+(Vanderbilt) over 4 years. And that's JUST TUITION.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OK. So you're going to give Manziel a "stipend" of $X. What are you giving Matt Joekel, his backup? Anything? He's not making them any money. The Matt Joekel jerseys aren't selling all that well.

And would you not have been grateful to go to school for free? HELLO!?!? Depending on which school you go to, you're talking $40k (UNT) - $160k+(Vanderbilt) over 4 years. And that's JUST TUITION.

That "grateful" position is just how "the man" wants you to think. I'm through with the man. I'm for the people critical to generating the real money. So you say the backup didn't do anything? Not true, if johnny gets hurt, he'll be paid. Do they not pay backups in the NFL? Of course they do. I'm not advocating you pay them on a scale relative to their actual revenue generation potential.

Yes, I know, this sounds more like communism - everyone gets paid the same $100 a month (or something like that). I agree that is in conflict with my original point to some degree. I just argue paying everyone something cuts down on the shenanigans to some degree. Or maybe not. I still believe it should be done for fairness sake.

Wow that would work out well, what should starting most highly recruited QB get each year in college in signed autographs say a cool million, or two? Does he have to give it back if he fails? Does the backup get $175,000? Do these players get sponsorships and endorsement deals as well. Does he even bother going to school any more?

This kind of crap is so short sighted.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

Wow that would work out well, what should starting most highly recruited QB get each year in college in signed autographs say a cool million, or two? Does he have to give it back if he fails? Does the backup get $175,000? Do these players get sponsorships and endorsement deals as well. Does he even bother going to school any more?

This kind of crap is so short sighted.

No, he only gets what all of the schools in the NCAA agree on - say $100 per month. Ok I"m feeling generous - make it $250 per month.

I'm proposing the stipend as a way to curtail the autograph signing need, etc. Will it stop that kind of behavior, probably not. My position still stands. I'm looking to give EVERYONE (players) a infinitesimally piece of the NCAA FB pie.

Edited by Stan R

Based on the fact that he is a HUGE D bag who has never been held accountable for anything.

Based on rumors that he has been terrible in practice.

Based on the fact that 19 year olds in general can't handle the pressure of fame, especially 19 year olds who don't have a strong POSITIVE parental influence.

Based on the fact that he has partied all off-season.

Maybe I'm wrong. We will see.

• Upvote 1

Based on the fact that he is a HUGE D bag who has never been held accountable for anything.

Based on rumors that he has been terrible in practice.

Based on the fact that 19 year olds in general can't handle the pressure of fame, especially 19 year olds who don't have a strong POSITIVE parental influence.

Based on the fact that he has partied all off-season.

Maybe I'm wrong. We will see.

Rumors he's been terrible in practice? THE HORRORS!! I say bring out the guillotine.

AND HE'S PARTIED!?!?!? In the OFFSEASON no less!?!?!?

Edited by Stan R

Here's my take on the issue:

I agree with Stan that a "reasonable stipend" is not too much to ask. Granted, I know there will always be shenanigans that goes on, but that's going to happen no matter what the system is. If each student athlete received $175,000 a year (That amount is NOT EVEN CLOSE to what I'm suggesting, it's just an exaggeration to illustrate my point) there would still be boosters making sure some of the "favorites" received probably twice that. So, don't use the "people will still break the rules" argument. That's a red herring.

I think tossing them something like $200-$400 a month is not too much to ask at all if they are on scholarship. Walk-ons should get something like $100-$150. These players help bring $millions$ to the Universities and should be given back a little bit. When a kid gets suspended for a full season because one of his coaches paid for his gas to visit his family over Christmas vacation, something is wrong. (That's a true story that happened to a personal friend of mine)

Something to think about, is to look at scholarship students in other departments. Band is the easiest example. A high-level trumpet that's on a full ride from his University's band can go out and make as much money as he/she wants while he/she is in school. This person could give private lessons (which makes really good money as far as a per-hour service goes). They could play gigs anywhere in the world and receive compensation for it. Recording deals, studio musician gigs playing background music for other "bigger" musicians is totally allowed . . . the list goes on. There are infinite possibilities for that student.

A business/marketing student on scholarship totally has the opportunity to start a business while in school and make a ton of money doing it. (Hello Mark Zuckerberg.)

As for athletes, there are limitations to the part-time jobs they can get. Basically, they can receive no more than $2,000 for the year if my research is correct. (the official rule is the student's scholarship plus income cannot exceed the amount of a full grant plus $2,000). So basically, less than $200 a month. But those limitations don't exist for other students on scholarship.

Those are just a few thoughts I have on it. It's not to de-value the education they receive and the handful of perks they get. Shoot, even some kind of trust for each athlete that they aren't allowed to touch until graduation would make sense to me.