NT Blvd. Bridge Over 35E To Be Closed On Game Days

Harry

NT Blvd. Bridge Over 35E To Be Closed On Game Days

North Texas Police Adjust Apogee Stadium Traffic Routes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Aug 26, 2013

DENTON, Texas - Adjustments have been made to the traffic plan for the 2013 football season, the most significant of which will be the closing of the North Texas Boulevard bridge over I-35E to all vehicles up to three hours before kickoff.

"The pedestrian bridge (between Apogee Stadium and the Fouts Field parking lot) came online last season during the middle of the season, and passes and instructions had already gone out to fans," explained James Coffey, captain of the UNT Police Department. "It would have been very difficult and hard on everyone, most importantly fans, to make adjustments in the middle of the

season and attempt to change peoples' habits.

"Now that we have the pedestrian bridge for a full season, we can open up the access roads for use and help clear out some of the congestion," Coffey said.

To see all of the updated traffic routes and detailed directions for of Apogee Stadium's parking areas, visit the online interactive parking map.

The most significant adjustments in traffic flow for 2013:

• The North Texas Boulevard overpass over 35E will be closed to all vehicles.

• The access road south-bound from Bonnie Brae will now be open, allowing vehicles to access the south entrance to the Red/Blue parking areas.

• There will be an additional Orange Lot (cash lot) entrance off of the 35E Access Road.

"We still want to encourage and need people to come early, tailgate, and beat the rush and congestion created by the last-minute arrivals," Coffey said

Posted Image

Click here to view the article

Strangely, and against whatever your mind tells you it's gonna be like after looking at the map, this parking system is one of the finest running gems we got on campus.....coming and going.

I don't know if it's just the joy of game day, or if the route keeps people so spread out enough that it helps traffic moving or what it is, but I have been amazed at how well it does work.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Strangely, and against whatever your mind tells you it's gonna be like after looking at the map, this parking system is one of the finest running gems we got on campus.....coming and going.

I don't know if it's just the joy of game day, or if the route keeps people so spread out enough that it helps traffic moving or what it is, but I have been amazed at how well it does work.

Rick

Ditto. I don't know who is planning the traffic but they need to run more stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So they're going to funnel all the game day traffic through one exit?!? I'll bet that changes next season when they back up traffic to Corinth on I-35E.

I'd also like to point out that the Bonnie Brad exit is also the exit for I-35W southbound, so if they don't manually give priority to traffic coming off of I-35E and onto Bonnie Brae, the interstate is going to back up ... fast.

Better get to the stadium a little earlier than last year if you park in the red, blue, or green lots if you like to arrive at the stadium an hour or less before kick off.

Edited by UNTFan23

Rick

Ditto. I don't know who is planning the traffic but they need to run more stuff.

Captain Coffey is an outstanding gentleman.

When I was pedicabbing over the last two years, the planning and cooperation we had from him and the UNT PD brought the warmest fuzzies to our meager, sweat-dripped hearts.

If only the stupid interlopers from Arlington hadn't shown up and ruined things...

• Upvote 1

Many of us often get ripped on this board for being "too negative" about things going on at UNT. This is an example of where a job well done is getting deserved praise. This is a perfect setup for Denton, UNT, and the fans to work together for the betterment of the event. It makes everything work better for the experience. Now if we can just get those pesky wins to follow, we will really see folks enjoying a great Mean Green experience in Denton!!

• Upvote 1