This is why we NEED to WIN NOW.

meangreener

When I got to campus in 2000, we had 9 dorms (10 if you count McConnell for the TAMSters): Kerr, Maple, Clark, West, Bruce, girls-only Crumley, & dumpy ol' College Inn. Motzart was brand new and so was Santa Fe. We certainly still had the "commuter school" tag, and just about everyone I knew had intentions on transferring to some other school (many of my 1st semester acquaintances were gone after that semester).

It doesn't seem like that anymore. I bet there's still some of that feeling, but not nearly as much as there was 10 yrs ago!

• Upvote 1

There are also several more fraternity houses on campus now than there were when I was a student, and several sorority houses when they were none. Add that to the number.

And I don't see why college students rooming together in an apartment, in an apartment building filled pretty much entirely with college students, within walking distance of campus, are classified as "commuters."

• Upvote 1

So, I've been here for like three years and when I came school spirit and pride was...alright. Not good, not great. I was mostly apathetic to football and school spirit but there was a decent amount of pride.

Sophomore year it grew a little and last year, even more.

Go drive around campus. One out of every two students is wearing a UNT shirt. I remember my move-in day and it wasn't like that, neither was when my girlfriend moved in, or last year. The hashtag #UNT17 is trending worldwide. Students are legitimately excited about attending here...the fact that the campus is so green right now proves that we are their FIRST choice to come to college now. UNT dorms are overflowing to the point of 3 kids in West rooms, new dorm plans and they are even putting kids up in hotels.

I mean, with the new Union, stadium and enormous amount of renovations+plus the media from the CUSA move, there's a ton of excitement around campus now.

This game, the Idaho game, is gigantic. Huge 100 year celebration, chance to start off with a blowout and send these new kids back to the dorms going, "Man, this team is a LOT better than I've heard." That way, they come back. And they keep coming back. Potentially a huge crowd. We cannot afford to waste this opportunity this year and that's why when I hear people accepting the idea that we won't be great this year, I refuse to accept that. We can't afford that. We need to take advantage of this NOW.

It's not just me. We now have real apparel flying off shelves at real stores, cars are adorned with UNT gear everywhere...I know this article has been said before but it really was just noticeable as I was heading to the Rec. I've harped on this since the year ended for football last year, but it has really exploded this year.

Please, UNT, take advantage of this and don't fall back into the "typical ol' NT"

Keep these kids excited.

Great points and exciting developments, but I don't think we need another reason other than we've had 7 years of losing seasons. NOW IS THE TIME TO WIN!

There are also several more fraternity houses on campus now than there were when I was a student, and several sorority houses when they were none. Add that to the number.

And I don't see why college students rooming together in an apartment, in an apartment building filled pretty much entirely with college students, within walking distance of campus, are classified as "commuters."

They aren't. Commuters are people who live outside of 20 miles from UNT.

The commuter listing simply depends upon the publisher. Some use the more accurate definition, while others just take the total enrollment figure and use the on-campus residency figure as the non-commuter number.

Also, per the discussion of on-campus advertising for games, I would think the key is saturation. There are some areas that tend to get plenty of visibility, but if your time on campus is limited primarily to one area and just a few buildings, on a campus as large as ours you may not see anything. So even if games are well promoted in "key areas", without having something visible in nearly every entrance to nearly every building you will certainly miss some people. In addition to plastering Denton with posters, maybe we could find people who tend to populate certain academic buildings and get them in touch with their building reps (if that's still how it's done) to ensure the necessary amount of exposure per building?

We had three when I was there.

I lived in West dorm for 1 semester,fall of 61', and there were 3 to a room,which was only large enough for 2,and that was a stretch. It was the only men's dorm available, and I bailed as soon as I could to apartment living.I do not look back at West dorm with fond memories, as you probably would have had more room and privacy in Huntsville.

I was a PA at West when they changed the name to Big West, Fall 98-Spring 99. It was when they started working to make it a place you wanted to live, not just the overflow for people who didn't get into the others. Since then it has been on an upswing. But after growing up feeling like a stranger in my own house, I got to live in Bruce Hall for 2 years. It was the first time I can actually remember anything feeling like a real home to me. Funny thing, living in apartments and owning houses since then, they still haven't come close to that feeling. Everywhere else has just been a place to live, but Bruce Hall is the only place that has ever felt like my home. Hopefully I'll find somewhere, eventually, that I like that much or I'm going to end up feeling like a nomad for the rest of my life!