Most improved part of the defense?

Stan R

I'm taking our hyperventilating overreactions a different direction.

We've been talking a lot about the offense and quarterbacks, which in my opinion at this point is just status quo. So be it.

What seems to be the most improved part of the DL according to our insiders? You know, the ninja that infiltrated the steel practice curtain? From everything I've seen and heard in recent recruiting, etc. - it seems like the secondary should be most improved. If that is the case? Then we have a chance to win some games if our line can just be "ok" or "decent".

• Upvote 2

I'm sort of surprised that no one mentioned the change in status of WR. That position REALLY underachieved last year, due in no small part to injury. It seems baffling to me that we can complain constantly about QB, while much of the equation revolves around WR play and guys actually getting open. Not to mention last year's lack of ANY sort of depth at all at that spot. I'm anxious to see what DT can do with a full stable of receivers that are D1 caliber.

On topic--DL is what I am most interested to see. Want to see improved size, strength, and depth.

• Upvote 2

I'm sort of surprised that no one mentioned the change in status of WR. That position REALLY underachieved last year, due in no small part to injury. It seems baffling to me that we can complain constantly about QB, while much of the equation revolves around WR play and guys actually getting open. Not to mention last year's lack of ANY sort of depth at all at that spot. I'm anxious to see what DT can do with a full stable of receivers that are D1 caliber.

On topic--DL is what I am most interested to see. Want to see improved size, strength, and depth.

Here's the problem I have with the "receivers were not getting open" theory. Did you "watch the damn games" as Randy Galloway likes to day? I saw lots of receivers open LOTS of the time. What I did not see was the ball getting to said open receivers. The next excuse might be: "but! but! Thompson was under intense pressure!! Receivers ran the wrong routes!". Let me say to that I don't buy that excuse either.

DAMNIT! HOW DID WE GET BACK ON THE QB DEBATE!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Here's the problem I have with the "receivers were not getting open" theory. Did you "watch the damn games" as Randy Galloway likes to day? I saw lots of receivers open LOTS of the time. What I did not see was the ball getting to said open receivers. The next excuse might be: "but! but! Thompson was under intense pressure!! Receivers ran the wrong routes!". Let me say to that I don't buy that excuse either.

Hmmm silence from our insider. Was he "taken care of"? :shuriken:

Chancellor was injured for the last 4 SBC games, yet still ranked #2 in yards and LED in YPC and TD's FOR THE SEASON. Harris didn't have stats in 6 games, had half the catches, yet ranked #4 with 1 TD. Delgado caught 42 passes, LED in yards and had NO TD's.

Basically, there was 1 playmaker at WR. That was it. Now, I'm not holding DT blameless, but he did not have any sort of depth at all at WR.

Sorry to derail this topic, though. I'll stop. :thumbsu:

Edited by LongJim

Chancellor was injured for the last 4 SBC games, yet still ranked #2 in yards and LED in YPC and TD's FOR THE SEASON. Harris didn't have stats in 6 games, had half the catches, yet ranked #4 with 1 TD. Delgado caught 42 passes, LED in yards and had NO TD's.

Basically, at WR, there was 1 playmaker at WR. That was it. Now, I'm not holding DT blameless, but he did not have any sort of depth at all at WR.

Sorry to derail this topic, though. I'll stop. :thumbsu:

blah blah stats, etc.. I don't buy it, but I hope you're right. Now back to the defense.

I am really hoping we see the entire Defense grow into the Really Mean Green of yesteryear. This is Mac's specialty and I hope we see a hammer tough punishing defense. Make the receivers and QBs gun-shy and back them up.

The only problem is 2 of the top 5 are walk ons and the transfer who was supposed to be the deep threat this offense has been lacking is in competition with one of them for the 4th WR spot.

Also, I don't know how anyone could have an idea on what areas of the team have improved, we get no information and what little we do has been pertained to a QB race most of us knew in our hearts wasn't much of a race. Can we get an update on any of the redshirt freshman? How the DT's have looked? Who is impressing at DE? Which OL players are in the mix aside from the big three? How are Lancaster & Schrapps progressing? are Warner, Busby or Zed challenging Trice and Lee? how many true freshman will see the field? DQ Johnson? Status of Quenton Brown?

Twelve...more...days.

Edited by ntmeangreen11