Someone tell me again...

emmitt01

Why is SilverEagle crazy to harp on pageantry? Tell the people at Virginia Tech that pageantry is overrated. Tell a recruit that a stoic march to midfield beats something like this.

http://hokienation.us/17/virginia-tech-football-entrance-enter-sandman/

Emmitt, the athletic department can't even coordinate the Mean Green March. Seems some important people that are involved are just not approachable about such things. Oldguy, other schools in Texas are able to pull it off without full unis. Seems traditions can start and flourish at other schools, but not here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There was a band???

All I saw was a tight white sweater!

Uh....me too! :)

That USC cheerleader reminded me of those old cartoons when I was a kid when they brought on a sing along song and then at the top of the TV screen it would say "follow the bouncing ball"; but in this case follow the, uh, well......(use your imagination on that). Yeah, 62 alright but I ain't dead yet.

It's a great song from Fleetwood Mac of which the USC band and its drum line both have a great time playing it and doing a bit of choreography to it, too, plus............the USC dance squad and cheerleaders have a few moves to this rock anthem as well. That can be seen on other YouTube videos more clearly.

So.............to some of you Green Brigade'rs on this board....This:

The USCTMB, ie, USC Trojan Marching Band does not own this song and it would be easy to see our award winning college marching band, its award winning drum line, the fabulous MG dancers and Mean Green cheerleaders whose past legacy includes National Cheer Championships all having a good time performing it and I'd wager that the home crowd (especially the entire student side) would get into this song big time. OK, time to take my Geritol now.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Why is SilverEagle crazy to harp on pageantry? Tell the people at Virginia Tech that pageantry is overrated. Tell a recruit that a stoic march to midfield beats something like this.

http://hokienation.us/17/virginia-tech-football-entrance-enter-sandman/

Hmmm, lots of "crowd going crazy" and everyone hopping up and down, but that is not pageantry. What I've really harped about of late is showmanship....or the lack thereof.

Something like this would be great....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVQgAhx9XA

Pageantry is the whole package "band and spirit groups". Speaking of spirit groups. How many attended the "event" Saturday, which included the most uninspiring attempt to get the crowd ready for football season that I've ever seen.

Canned music? The live musical prompts that the band plays for the uninspiring cheers during a game are bad enough, but the canned music at the event? Good God it was awful.

Did they send something to every band and famous person they'd ever heard of without checking on the history? That made my head hurt. The flowery stationery was a nice touch, though.

Would VT's pageantry be there if they had the same athletic and football history of North Texas? I highly doubt it. Schools with a lot of pageantry and fans flocking over that is there because they've demonstrated years or decades of consistent winning or if you're a bottom feeder school in a top big boy conference then you'll have some of that pageantry but other than that all that pageantry stuff comes from winning.

While pageantry is great and all it frankly won't come until we start winning consistently and winning big. We have to put our school in the conscious of our students and alums first and then it will carry over to other people in the region and eventually on the national level hopefully. If you do that then pageantry will take care of itself and will be easier to do in my personal opinion.

Would VT's pageantry be there if they had the same athletic and football history of North Texas? I highly doubt it. Schools with a lot of pageantry and fans flocking over that is there because they've demonstrated years or decades of consistent winning or if you're a bottom feeder school in a top big boy conference then you'll have some of that pageantry but other than that all that pageantry stuff comes from winning.

While pageantry is great and all it frankly won't come until we start winning consistently and winning big. We have to put our school in the conscious of our students and alums first and then it will carry over to other people in the region and eventually on the national level hopefully. If you do that then pageantry will take care of itself and will be easier to do in my personal opinion.

Did the Kansas State U Wildcat marching band officials say "oh well, we've been losing the last 50 or so years (prior to Bill Snyder's arrival), haven't been to a bowl game in almost 75 so we should just sit in the stands and bore our fans to death with the same ol' songs we've been playing since the invention of the sousaphone?

Of course we are not a facsimile of Virginia Tech, but after all....we are North Texas; that is, a school known to have a pretty darn good College of Music with a marching band that makes TCU's look like an elementary school rhythm band..................so shouldn't we always be tweaking & highlighting our strengths of which the UNT-COM is most definitely one of those or do we just keep highlighting our present weaknesses; by the way, a very popular thing to do on this message board of late.

First of all around these parts it has been: "Well, we don't need a new stadium until we fill Fouts 20 or so times in a row so we didn't build a new football stadium; that is, until the one we had almost fell down on top of us it had so degenerated and its power grid almost un-fixable. Folks, we were forced to build a new football stadium or merely get out of the college football business at the level we all wanted.

:thumbsu: Let me add this about our UNT student body: Our entire Apogee east student side will be all but filled to capacity with North Texas students this Fall. UNT has more of its student body who come to our Mean Green football games than any other school's student bodies north of UT-Austin and some of you cannot see them getting into the swing of things with the kind of video at the top of this thread? Sure we won't have 66,000 fans at Apogee since that is a mathamatical impossibility, but our entire UNT student side is capable of making some pretty serious noise at accoustic-friendly Apogee Stadium...........ask former UH HFC Kevin Sumlin about that since he had to call 2 or 3 timeouts because our students (and alums) got "THAT" noisy during the UHouston/UNorthTexas game.

So now we "wait" almost until we all but win a National Championship at North Texas before we start trying to entertain our fans with music that could actually inspire all in the stands on Game Day? Did that video Emmitt put on this thread only offend a few and cause others to go back into Negative Ned-vlle status with more...................WE CAN'T DO THAT AT NORTH TEXAS BECAUSE WE'RE............NORTH TEXAS? I don't know sometimes, I just don't know. Between poor leaders at the top concerning athletics most my entire adult lifetime and maybe one of the most across the board negative fan bases always finding excuses as to why we "can't' do jack caca at UNT no wonder we seem to not inspire more new faces to come out to give Apogee a shot. We turn them off with all this crap from...............US! After all, we have over 200,000 UNT alums in northern Texas who we seem to have turned off as to not be curious enough to come check all the new great things going on at North Texas; at least, most my lifetime we seem to have turned them off. And yes, a better overall product on an annual basis would have most definitely helped our cause, too. :)

:zoro: In spite of everything, with all the right pieces of the puzzle in place (and upon further review & reflection those pieces could very well already be in place); but with all this in running in sync every bit of this Mean Green athletic thing and all surrounding it can still take off like a rocket. Just ask Kansas State U, Post Death Penalty SMU with 20 losing seasons in a row after that verdict and bottom of the SWC barrel its last 25 years TCU if things can't change from almost impossible to quite do-able?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Did the Kansas State U Wildcat marching band officials say "oh well, we've been losing the last 50 or so years (prior to Bill Snyder's arrival), haven't been to a bowl game in almost 75 so we should just sit in the stands and bore our fans to death with the same ol' songs we've been playing since the invention of the sousaphone?

Of course we are not a facsimile of Virginia Tech, but after all....we are North Texas; that is, a school known to have a pretty darn good College of Music with a marching band that makes TCU's look like an elementary school rhythm band..................so shouldn't we always be tweaking & highlighting our strengths of which the UNT-COM is most definitely one of those or do we just keep highlighting our present weaknesses; by the way, a very popular thing to do on this message board of late.

First of all around these parts it has been: "Well, we don't need a new stadium until we fill Fouts 20 or so times in a row so we didn't build a new football stadium; that is, until the one we had almost fell down on top of us it had so degenerated and its power grid almost un-fixable. Folks, we were forced to build a new football stadium or merely get out of the college football business at the level we all wanted.

:thumbsu: Let me add this about our UNT student body: Our entire Apogee east student side will be all but filled to capacity with North Texas students this Fall. UNT has more of its student body who come to our Mean Green football games than any other school's student bodies north of UT-Austin and some of you cannot see them getting into the swing of things with the kind of video at the top of this thread? Sure we won't have 66,000 fans at Apogee since that is a mathamatical impossibility, but our entire UNT student side is capable of making some pretty serious noise at accoustic-friendly Apogee Stadium...........ask former UH HFC Kevin Sumlin about that since he had to call 2 or 3 timeouts because our students (and alums) got "THAT" noisy during the UHouston/UNorthTexas game.

So now we "wait" almost until we all but win a National Championship at North Texas before we start trying to entertain our fans with music that could actually inspire all in the stands on Game Day? Did that video Emmitt put on this thread only offend a few and cause others to go back into Negative Ned-vlle status with more...................WE CAN'T DO THAT AT NORTH TEXAS BECAUSE WE'RE............NORTH TEXAS? I don't know sometimes, I just don't know. Between poor leaders at the top concerning athletics most my entire adult lifetime and maybe one of the most across the board negative fan bases always finding excuses as to why we "can't' do jack caca at UNT no wonder we seem to not inspire more new faces to come out to give Apogee a shot. We turn them off with all this crap from...............US! After all, we have over 200,000 UNT alums in northern Texas who we seem to have turned off as to not be curious enough to come check all the new great things going on at North Texas; at least, most my lifetime we seem to have turned them off. And yes, a better overall product on an annual basis would have most definitely helped our cause, too. :)

:zoro: In spite of everything, with all the right pieces of the puzzle in place (and upon further review & reflection those pieces could very well already be in place); but with all this in running in sync every bit of this Mean Green athletic thing and all surrounding it can still take off like a rocket. Just ask Kansas State U, Post Death Penalty SMU with 20 losing seasons in a row after that verdict and bottom of the SWC barrel its last 25 years TCU if things can't change from almost impossible to quite do-able?

I have a hard time understanding how anyone can compare our situation to TCUs rise from being kicked out of the SWC and SMUs rise from the death penalty and Kansas State's rise from the worst program in the history of major college football. We never have had the following, conference affiliation, or money that those schools had, have, or will have in the upcoming decades. It doesn't mean we have to close up shop here in football, but I think it creates perception that we can duplicate what those schools did. Here are the differences:

K-State: Before Snyder, they were hideous. Their football team was absolutely bottom of the barrel. But they had two huge things going for them while they sucked at football. They were in the Big Eight, so they got automatic crowds and ticket revenue, as well as other shared revenues, from being assocaiated with Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Mizzou, Okie State, and Iowa State. Obviously, some of those schools were football powers, while a lot of the others were baksetball powers, which led to KSUs other huge advantage. They were generally very good at basketball. They had a money sport that people followed closely and attended their games. None of those advantages have ever been shared by UNT. The only conference we played in the entire decade of the 80s included powerhouses like Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin. Our hoops team has had more downs than ups, but they have never had a decent following.

SMU: We all know they cheated and got what they deserved. After the Death Penalty, SMUs administration basically ran their propgram into the ground so as to avoid any semblance of cheating. And they did a great job of that, because they basically sucked for twenty years. But for all of that, they always played in a conference with the biggest of players in this state until the SWC fell apart and then at least played in regional conferences that allowed them to play schools that were more their size, from enrollment to atheltic budget. And when they banded together, SMUs alums paid a nice little sum of their own cash to get the hottest coach on the market in June Jones. Plus, as June Jones has shown, even if SMU doesn't appeal to many people outside of Highland Park, their name and tradition still carry an immense amounf of weight in the media and in college football. Heck, even a 30 for 30 special on their perennial and audacious cheating still turned into a puff piece on how far they have come back under Jones. The DFW media openly talk about wanting SMU to be a big deal again. Absolutely no DFW media, even the DRC beat writer, talk that way about us. I hate SMU more than anyone, but I also understand their major advantages over us.

TCU: Same as SMU but without the death penalty. Very smart in the way they involved Ft. Worth to become the hometown team. Found conferences that they could win in and become a power, which got them a seat at the AQ table. They have their own dedicated media, plus they have lots of cash. Denton has never even come close to backing UNT the way Ft. Worth takes care of its little private school on University and Berry. The town is painted purple when football season rolls around, Sure, we see green around Denton, but there is a lot more resentment of athletics in music and arts loving Denton than there ever will be of support. Even when we have had a winning program in the 70s and in the early 00s, we were thrilled to have a season attendance average of 15k.

I have always thought that the two programs we most resemble are San Jose State and San Diego State. We are a big public school that sits on the outside of the major conference schools and pro teams in our own backyard. Copy what they have done successfully and it can hold here. But if you hold back money to the program in your budget, only to have the BOR agree to hold continued talks on increasing the budget back up for athletics at a later date, it won't matter who you try to emulate. You cannot be a winner in college football if you won't spend the money to hire and fire personnel when you need to, not when its financially acceptable. When we turn that page, we will be ready to move forward big time in athletics, especially football and basketball.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

I have a hard time understanding how anyone can compare our situation to TCUs rise from being kicked out of the SWC and SMUs rise from the death penalty and Kansas State's rise from the worst program in the history of major college football. We never have had the following, conference affiliation, or money that those schools had, have, or will have in the upcoming decades. It doesn't mean we have to close up shop here in football, but I think it creates perception that we can duplicate what those schools did. Here are the differences:

K-State: Before Snyder, they were hideous. Their football team was absolutely bottom of the barrel. But they had two huge things going for them while they sucked at football. They were in the Big Eight, so they got automatic crowds and ticket revenue, as well as other shared revenues, from being assocaiated with Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Mizzou, Okie State, and Iowa State. Obviously, some of those schools were football powers, while a lot of the others were baksetball powers, which led to KSUs other huge advantage. They were generally very good at basketball. They had a money sport that people followed closely and attended their games. None of those advantages have ever been shared by UNT. The only conference we played in the entire decade of the 80s included powerhouses like Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin. Our hoops team has had more downs than ups, but they have never had a decent following.

SMU: We all know they cheated and got what they deserved. After the Death Penalty, SMUs administration basically ran their propgram into the ground so as to avoid any semblance of cheating. And they did a great job of that, because they basically sucked for twenty years. But for all of that, they always played in a conference with the biggest of players in this state until the SWC fell apart and then at least played in regional conferences that allowed them to play schools that were more their size, from enrollment to atheltic budget. And when they banded together, SMUs alums paid a nice little sum of their own cash to get the hottest coach on the market in June Jones. Plus, as June Jones has shown, even if SMU doesn't appeal to many people outside of Highland Park, their name and tradition still carry an immense amounf of weight in the media and in college football. Heck, even a 30 for 30 special on their perennial and audacious cheating still turned into a puff piece on how far they have come back under Jones. The DFW media openly talk about wanting SMU to be a big deal again. Absolutely no DFW media, even the DRC beat writer, talk that way about us. I hate SMU more than anyone, but I also understand their major advantages over us.

TCU: Same as SMU but without the death penalty. Very smart in the way they involved Ft. Worth to become the hometown team. Found conferences that they could win in and become a power, which got them a seat at the AQ table. They have their own dedicated media, plus they have lots of cash. Denton has never even come close to backing UNT the way Ft. Worth takes care of its little private school on University and Berry. The town is painted purple when football season rolls around, Sure, we see green around Denton, but there is a lot more resentment of athletics in music and arts loving Denton than there ever will be of support. Even when we have had a winning program in the 70s and in the early 00s, we were thrilled to have a season attendance average of 15k.

I have always thought that the two programs we most resemble are San Jose State and San Diego State. We are a big public school that sits on the outside of the major conference schools and pro teams in our own backyard. Copy what they have done successfully and it can hold here. But if you hold back money to the program in your budget, only to have the BOR agree to hold continued talks on increasing the budget back up for athletics at a later date, it won't matter who you try to emulate. You cannot be a winner in college football if you won't spend the money to hire and fire personnel when you need to, not when its financially acceptable. When we turn that page, we will be ready to move forward big time in athletics, especially football and basketball.

We all know the checkered past but seems whatever we do now at UNT has to be done either in the present and in the future.

Yet you say we can't duplicate some of those schools you mentioned? Well we once had a fellow conference mate that pretty well did. Can you say.....Boise State?

Jeez-Louise.....the sky is falling, Harry! :confused53: Do we have a Homeland Security rescue plan here?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

theysayihaveaddChickenLOGO.gif