Thursday morning practice notes, record picks update (updated with vid

Harry

I stopped by practice this morning and picked up a few notes to go along with video highlights and an interview with running backs coach Tommy Perry that I will post here in a few minutes.

The late stages of camp are usually when one starts to hear about bad practices and players being worn down by the daily grind. That wasnt the case today for UNT.

Read more:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/thursday-morning-practice-notes.html/

Jimmerson down to 212 from 225 that he played at last year.

From all accounts he looks bigger than he did last year, yet is 13 lbs lighter. That could mean he added muscle and dropped a significant amount of bad weight. If that's the case we could see some more speed that everyone's been clamoring for.

Jimmerson down to 212 from 225 that he played at last year.

From all accounts he looks bigger than he did last year, yet is 13 lbs lighter. That could mean he added muscle and dropped a significant amount of bad weight. If that's the case we could see some more speed that everyone's been clamoring for.

Hopefully that's the case.

Also, maybe because it was like about 79 degrees for much of the early morning made everyone extra frisky, Coach? :)

I can never forget my HS 2-a-days down on the Gulf Coast near Houston town because you could count on:

(1) Early morning heat

(2) Early morning humidity

(3) Early morning mosquitos bigger than they shoulda'-oughtta' ever been.

Bottom line was.................we all survived em' and then we had those evening practices with:

See Above ! LOL!

Go Mean Green!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Brett.... I love all that you do. With that said PLEASE stop those videos from being on auto-play. I hate having to pause three videos so that I can hear the latest one.

That might be a DRC Web Admin/IT thing.

Totally guessing, though.

**EDIT: looks like YouTube is fine. I have no idea why he uses two different services.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Newspapers are having tough times with the internet and all. That is why the Fort Worth Star Telegram is now mostly a shadow of its ol' self as far as number of pages per daily paper plus less emphases of DFW area sports coverage outside of FW. SMU gets less than we do if that is possible.

Star Telegram also cut their sports staff down, too, which relegated UNT to almos blurb coverage and now with us many time included with the Sunday AM paper roundup of Texas college scores with short stories. I wish UNT had a special correspondent to cover the Mean Green for the FWST and maybe an apprentice from the North Texas Daily?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the competition at QB is as real as Coach Mac says it is.

1. Coach Mac has said he has "created competition" in the past.

2. Coach Mac is very secretive about letting anyone see practice. Surely he would think it's a great advantage that opposing coaches will not yet know which QB to prepare for.

3. Have you ever heard of a 4-way competition for starting QB this late in fall camp? With any team, at any level, anywhere?!?

4. Even if there isn't clear separation between QBs for a starting position, usually by this point you pick someone and go with it anyway.

He may already know very well who is going to be starting August 31st against Idaho. At the least, I imagine he has a very good idea, and has made at least tentative plans around that QB.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the competition at QB is as real as Coach Mac says it is.

1. Coach Mac has said he has "created competition" in the past.

2. Coach Mac is very secretive about letting anyone see practice. Surely he would think it's a great advantage that opposing coaches will not yet know which QB to prepare for.

3. Have you ever heard of a 4-way competition for starting QB this late in fall camp? With any team, at any level, anywhere?!?

4. Even if there isn't clear separation between QBs for a starting position, usually by this point you pick someone and go with it anyway.

He may already know very well who is going to be starting August 31st against Idaho. At the least, I imagine he has a very good idea, and has made at least tentative plans around that QB.

This...

Coach Mac out of loyalty to a senior QB will start Derek Thompson this I believe. Now DT has to shake and bake and make things (like TD's) happen early on in this game.

If we are fortunate to build a lead, then he will rest #7 and put in the #2 QB (?) to "save DT for next week's game."

GMG!

A Different Take On UNT's Apogee Stadium

apogee.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen