Most interesting UNT player names of all time

Harry

As we inch a little closer to the Idaho game (17 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 56 seconds to be exact) I thought we might have a little fun to pass the time...

I'll get this started. How about running back Eteka Huckaby? I believe he transferred out of Washington with Coach Matt Simon around 1994? Don't remember much about him as a player but can never forget his name!

Not exactly an interesting player name, but I think it was Corbin Montgomery that Matt Simon, in describing Montgomery's muscular strength, as having "muscles in his earlobes". Corbin changed his name. Epps???

Yes, Montgomery to Epps. And he changed his name to some Muslim name after he graduated and played arena football.

• Upvote 1

In the Fry era we had a linebacker named Terry Champagne and defensive back (I think) named Bobby Bottles. When we played UT and Earl Campbell was playing, the announcer announced that Campbell was brought down by Champagne/Bottles.

Silver, it is funny that you mentioned Gene Pool. At one time he was our son-in-law. The marriage did not last but I always liked Gene - even if our daughter came to disagree with my assessment. I visited briefly with Gene at a football game last Fall. He is a Farmers Insurance agent in the Dallas area and seems to be doing just fine.

• Upvote 1

Now for you old guys. Remember the movie "Goldfinger"? My freshman year at NT, we had a short, stocky guard(pretty good player) on the football team. Although he was not oriental, this player was built like the deadly "hat throwing" villian in Goldfinger. Anyway, the NT player's nickname was "Odd Job". True story.

7674d1236391954-stanley-odd-jobs-1-oddjo

Now for you old guys. Remember the movie "Goldfinger"? My freshman year at NT, we had a short, stocky guard(pretty good player) on the football team. Although he was not oriental, this player was built like the deadly "hat throwing" villian in Goldfinger. Anyway, the NT player's nickname was "Odd Job". True story.

7674d1236391954-stanley-odd-jobs-1-oddjo

Fyi...

Things from Asia are "Oriental"

People from Asia are "Asian"

A lot of Asian people feel the term "Oriental" is racist.

Carry on...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Fyi...

Things from Asia are "Oriental"

People from Asia are "Asian"

A lot of Asian people feel the term "Oriental" is racist.

Carry on...

Asia covers a lot of area and quite a few ethnicities . . .

AsiaPoliticalLarge.gif

As such the term "Asian" is very imprecise when referring to those with the racial characteristics of the Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm just relaying what I've been told by several Japanese, Korean, Chinese people in my lifetime.

Oh yes, I've heard that before. I'm not shooting the messenger (I have no idea why you're getting -1s for that post), just disagreeing with the general message. I don't really understand why the term "Oriental" would bother them. But if they would prefer another term, I don't have a major problem with it...just don't pick a term that actually means something else.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Sorta' being retro here (what else is new with that, right), but we also had a John Holmes on our team back in the day. Seems he played his HS ball at Longview Pinetree but don't quote me on that.

The word back then was if we needed a first down by only 12 inches just to hand it to John Holmes--he'd find a way.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen