Top CLC Selling Universities

ColoradoEagle

Where is Baylor U on this list? I could not find them.

TSU-SM had a significant school name change which gave theirs a nice push. I mean their alums/fans had to change from "SWT" to "TSU-SM" for heavens sake. I mean come on now, what were they going to do-----go to TSU Bobcat games wearing SWT gear? :)

North Texas has always had the 2 common words "North Texas" in its name almost all its history. Now if we ever settle down with a brand? I can't find UNT caps at Loves out here in Weatherford most times. So is it just a matter of distribution or something? Who on our campus can deal with all this but moreso................SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Smoking Gun Theory? I always thought in the back of my mind that Bill Battle (who started CLC) and who we cost his job at U of Tennessee post 1975 football season may have been pulling off a little subtle discrimination toward our school; that is, from his company's beginnings but that is just one out there school of thought but haven't we seen subtle discrimination before--some not so subtle, too? And Lordy, I don't think Bill Battle could carry a grudge toward UNT forever, right? :) Seems we may have actually been his lemon that he turned into an annual mega-million$ pitcher of lemonade, eh?

Others on the list surprised me and may always have just this list as their claim to fame but not much else as.....Montana State for starters? Still, I think most would rather be on this list than not.

UNT just needs to settle on a brand and win some darn football games from one season to the next to the next to the next and that will give UNT an upsurge on this list.

GMG!

FFR, do you have a link on your above claims? Just curious...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Where is Baylor U on this list? I could not find them.

TSU-SM had a significant school name change which gave theirs a nice push. I mean their alums/fans had to change from "SWT" to "TSU-SM" for heavens sake. I mean come on now, what were they going to do-----go to TSU Bobcat games wearing SWT gear? :)

North Texas has always had the 2 common words "North Texas" in its name almost all its history. Now if we ever settle down with a brand? I can't find UNT caps at Loves out here in Weatherford most times. So is it just a matter of distribution or something? Who on our campus can deal with all this but moreso................SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Smoking Gun Theory? I always thought in the back of my mind that Bill Battle (who started CLC) and who we cost his job at U of Tennessee post 1975 football season may have been pulling off a little subtle discrimination toward our school; that is, from his company's beginnings but that is just one out there school of thought but haven't we seen subtle discrimination before--some not so subtle, too? And Lordy, I don't think Bill Battle could carry a grudge toward UNT forever, right? :) Seems we may have actually been his lemon that he turned into an annual mega-million$ pitcher of lemonade, eh?

Others on the list surprised me and may always have just this list as their claim to fame but not much else as.....Montana State for starters?

Settle on a brand a win some darn games from one season to the next will give UNT an upsurge on this list.

GMG!

FFR, do you have a link on your above claims? Just curious...

Baylor, Houston, Navy, NC State and numerous others aren't with the CLC and are instead with the Licensing Resource Group or LRG for short.

If the above schools were with the CLC, they would have easily been on the list since they sell a lot of merchandise.

• Upvote 4

OK, here we go. I started the CLC program at North Texas in the late 80's. We had resistance from the administration to license. After Mean Green condums and toilet seats were produced prior to our being licensed, the university came around so as to be able to control our brand. No one thought we would really make any money from licensing, but we made $25,000 the first year. Amusingly, after it was apparent that there was some money to be made, the university made us give a percentage of licensing money to the marching band....seems they wanted an 'educational entity' to profit from the licensing.

I do not see a conspiracy on the part of CLC or Bill Battle toward North Texas. In fact, Battle was really great to work with when we got the thing started. In order to really make money on licensing (for North Texas) two things must happen. One, we must win...people do not buy products that identify themselves with losing programs. Two, North Texas' representative for CLC must be very proactive with their CLC representative to constantly say 'don't forget about North Texas'...it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. When the menu of licensed schools is shown to manufacturers we must make North Texas jump up at them to include us.

The retailers are also to blame...they just don't want to take a chance on a no name school and get stuck with a lot of leftover merchandise. Also, the big boys get most of the attention and it it easy to carry UT, A&M, etc. Not much real gamble there.

OK, here we go. I started the CLC program at North Texas in the late 80's. We had resistance from the administration to license. After Mean Green condums and toilet seats were produced prior to our being licensed, the university came around so as to be able to control our brand. No one thought we would really make any money from licensing, but we made $25,000 the first year. Amusingly, after it was apparent that there was some money to be made, the university made us give a percentage of licensing money to the marching band....seems they wanted an 'educational entity' to profit from the licensing.

I do not see a conspiracy on the part of CLC or Bill Battle toward North Texas. In fact, Battle was really great to work with when we got the thing started. In order to really make money on licensing (for North Texas) two things must happen. One, we must win...people do not buy products that identify themselves with losing programs. Two, North Texas' representative for CLC must be very proactive with their CLC representative to constantly say 'don't forget about North Texas'...it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. When the menu of licensed schools is shown to manufacturers we must make North Texas jump up at them to include us.

The retailers are also to blame...they just don't want to take a chance on a no name school and get stuck with a lot of leftover merchandise. Also, the big boys get most of the attention and it it easy to carry UT, A&M, etc. Not much real gamble there.

Also with Silver and mine's experience we at North Texas hurt itself with changing logos so often during the 90's and early '2000's. Retailers were peeved having to change out stale merchandise that sat.

But CLC today is different than it was in the 80's. if your not one of the top 25 they treat you as a leper, and their license is rediculous to acquire. That is why I have suggested for years we forego that contract and start new as an Independant as other programs have done, just to get it going.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick