Fox Sports SW: North Texas to wear throwbacks jerseys Aug. 31

Harry

DENTON, Texas -- In honor of the program's 100th anniversary, the North Texas Mean Green football team will wear throwback jerseys for their August 31 season opener against Idaho at Apogee Stadium.

The jerseys, which were introduced at a Monday afternoon press conference at the stadium, incorporate elements from the golden eras of Mean Green football-the Abner Haynes era of the late 1950s, the Mean Joe Greene era (1966-1968), the Hayden Fry era (1973-1978) and the recent four-year bowl streak under Darrell Dickey (2000-2004).

"We went back and kind of scoured through old yearbooks and looked at different uniforms from different eras and feel good about what we came up with that it's representative of the period," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said.

Junior offensive lineman Cyril Lemon modeled the retro jersey and the Marble Falls native had great things to say about the different look he and his UNT teammates will don when the Vandals visit Denton at the end of August.

"I love the retro jersey. The thing I like about it the most is it's our hundred-year anniversary and it pretty much gets all the eras in one jersey," Lemon said. "I was expecting like a jersey from one era, but this gets all of them into one. That's what I like about it most."

Read more: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/collegefootball/conference-usa/story/North-Texas-to-wear-throwbacks-jerseys-A?blockID=928703&feedID=3742