DE Aaron Bellazin (dude has blown up)

Harry

Aaron was a pretty good load when he weighed 20+ pounds less. If he's added that much strength and kept his quickness I think that we're looking at an all-conference player.

Jack, you are probably the most senior of all our posters on GMG.com. I read most anything you post because I know you know what the heck your talking about but...........what is your take on this 2013 edition of Coach McCarney's Mean Green?

I know how disappointed we all were when recruiting didn't take off Coach Mac's first 2 years (albeit when he was hired that recruiting season was basically already wrapped up because he missed the early signings aspects of it plus...............he had not had a chance to install his seemedly now successful Friday Night Lights program, either.

What do you see happening this Fall, Jack? The good, the bad and the ugly of it all? Long or short version.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jack, you are probably the most senior of all our posters on GMG.com. I read most anything you post because I know you know what the heck your talking about but...........what is your take on this 2013 edition of Coach McCarney's Mean Green?

I know how disappointed we all were when recruiting didn't take off Coach Mac's first 2 years (albeit when he was hired that recruiting season was basically already wrapped up because he missed the early signings aspects of it plus...............he had not had a chance to install his seemedly now successful Friday Night Lights program, either.

What do you see happening this Fall, Jack? The good, the bad and the ugly of it all? Long or short version.

GMG!

Jim, right now I see this as a 6-6 season. I think that we beat Idaho, LaTech, Tulane, Southern Miss, UTSA and UTEP. If we can find more offensive firepower I might add MUTS and Ball State to my list of wins.

If the North Texas defense performed as last year and the other 13 did the same we would have the second best defense in the conference. Only Tulsa would be better and they won a conference championship. I believe that this defense will be even better; especially the defensive backs. Our Achilles' heel is the defensive line...especially the tackles. The weakest part of our defense last year was stopping the run and that's likely the case again. However, I believe that Skladany is a crafty old codger and will use linebackers to fill gaps and possibly play a lot more nickel for pass coverage.

The offense is a different story. Only four teams produced less offense than the Mean Green and their combined record was something like 8-32. Derek Thompson's quarterback rating was 12th of the 14 quarterbacks that played last season. Of course, a few of those have moved on but their replacements are mostly better. If Berglund, or Williams, earn the starting role that will show considerable improvement because I expect Thompson to be better than last year. If Terrell, Brady Brown, and one or two among Schrapps, Lancaster, or Kidsy come through we could have a pretty salty receiving corps. For now, the running is more reliable. I have zero concern regarding our offensive line which should be among the top two or three in CUSA.

However, special teams need a tremendous amount of improvement in every area. Only FAU was more pitiful than our kicking, return and coverage units. I believe that Coach Perry will improve all aspects of special teams with the possible exception of punting. Punting would have been middle-of-the-pack last year and hopefully will this year.

If everything fell into place (which it never does) Rice is another possible win. But, until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with my prediction of six wins.

• Upvote 6