The Athens Hypothetical

jdennis82

This post on the UGA game thread got me thinking...

I've had this weird feeling that we are going to win this game

Which of the following scenarios would you choose, if given only these two choices:

1. Win in Athens but finish season 4-8

2. Lose by 25+ to the Bulldogs but finish season 8-4 and go bowling

This post on the UGA game thread got me thinking...

Which of the following scenarios would you choose, if given only these two choices:

1. Win in Athens but finish season 4-8

2. Lose by 25+ to the Bulldogs but finish season 8-4 and go bowling

#2 by a landslide. Scenario #1 increases interest and gets us nationwide press...for a week. Then the ensuing 4-8 season turns all of those headlines into "it was the fluke we all thought it was". If Georgia goes on to be 11-1 and ranked #5 the thinking is "Georgia sleep walked through an opponent they didn't take seriously" and if they don't post a stellar record it's "Georgia was clearly overrated to begin the season".

The only scenario where a UGA win would give us a significant boost in recruiting and prestige would be for us to go 10-2 or better and for Georgia to win at least 7 games.*

* Of course a few of our fans would ass whip younger fans for the next half century with tales of "remember that time we beat Georgia" regardless of what our final record is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'd take a loss by 50 for for 8-4 plus a bowl win. Either way I hate these body bag games and I hope we stop playing them soon. Such a waste and the team gets banged up.

Totally agree with Emmitt's assessment as well.

No joke. A loss by 100 would even be great if we would end up 8-4 and just go to a bowl.

Got our tickets to the UGA game yesterday. I expect a North Texas win in Athens and an eventual Mean Green bowl victory. I hope the coaching staff and players share that feeling. Since my wife and most of her family are graduates of UGA, I hope they have an enjoyable and successful season...or not.