Very important NCAA rule changes to watch for this season

Harry

Big changes in the form of penalties for deliberately targeting a players head, crown or neck area. Also blindside blocking.. After watching this video I think it was the right thing to do. It is worth watching though because it could come into play this season. The penalties are harsh -- immediate ejection and if you do it late in the game you will miss part of the next game. The video does a good job of providing a visual of what they are trying to prevent.

http://videos.idahostatesman.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=166570241&item_index=1&all=1&sort=NULL

You can easily hit a RB in the head if he lowers his shoulders when trying to reduce his profile so that defenders have less "area" to try to tackle.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how some of these new rules are enforced.

Good intentions, but there will be lots of bad calls. I don't like it, let them play. Several of the examples were less than clear cut and some hits only looked changeable in slow motion, at game speed you are talking about a fraction of a second to redirect your weight and speed. It seems like it will lead to a gun shy defense. I hate Roger Goodell anyways.

• Upvote 1