Questions for GMG.com pod with RV

Harry

Oh, UNT fanbase. I do love you so. Just dug up and read through this In reading this, I think two things have happened:

1) More fans have indeed started to actually demand some standards around this joint.

2) The uphill climb has been slower than desired, but we really are in much, much better shape than we were (basketball notwithstanding). Although that's not to say that there isn't more (much more) improvement to be expected and demanded.

You know what hasn't changed? We still don't get rid of coaches that don't deserve a job (see: basketball). DMac could go 1-11 this year and have no worries about his job status.

But everyone that matters will come on here telling us how great RV is and how we just need to be patient.

• Upvote 1

I did a little research we did in fact set a new school record for losing seasons in a row last year. The previous record was 7 seasons (1995-2001)we are now at 8 losing years in a row if my math is correct. I think RV should put his money where his mouth is.

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

We should expect better

Under his direction, but then UNT90 reminds us just what we have really known for years around this town:

I know you have been away from the board for a while and may not have heard. RV was given a big, fat 5 year extension about 3 weeks ago. 9-0 vote by the BOR.

No joke.

Well, actually, it's a joke, just not the haha kind.

No one actually cares. Sure the powers that be will tell you they want a winning program, just like Jerry Jones will tell you he wants to win another Super Bowl, but neither of them will actually do what they need to do to actually make that happen. Case in point, at the end of a disastrous basketball hire when everyone said this was our year, the BOR votes 9-0 to give an extension.

In response to the thread topic, here is a list. Harry, I know you must play nice or RV will never afford you this opportunity again, but here you go just the same. If they are asked, I expect a complete tap dance routine:

How many home games will we have in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018? Will you promise 6, as was inferred to many when they purchased club seats?

If he promises 6 home game seasons; How do you plan to free up an unbelievably inflexible schedule to ensure that this happens?

Why can ULM and Arkansas St. Get major teams to play at their place, yet the best we can do with a "state of the art" stadium is Indiana and Houston?

Will you fire Benford if this team wins less than 12 games?

Will you fire DMac if he wins less than 6 games?

Why do you feel you deserved an extension?

• Upvote 3

Name me one instance ever where any human being has stepped away from their livelihood because, "Well, I just wasn't up to snuff, and I'm embarrassed."

45 year old athletes with hundreds of millions in the bank don't count.

If you read the finance section people step down daily for poor performance. CEOs, Board directors, fund managers, business and school presidents, police chiefs, ADs, politicians and on and on.

EA CEO steps down following another poor quarter

JC Penney's CEO steps down

That is a couple to recent memory but I could do thousands I am sure with some research

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

- How and when will we be able to purchase pieces of the throwback uniforms? (Jerseys, helmets, etc.)

- Will there be any other kind of throwback merch we can purchase? (t-shirts, hats, etc.)

- More information on the new hire, Brandon Corbin, and new marketing initiatives we can expect from him.

• Upvote 2

1) RV, Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

2) English [man], Do you speak it?

3) Where are the other drugs?

4) Did you order the code red?

5) Aye, Fight and you may die. Run and you will live. At least awhile. And dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days -- from this day 'til that -- for one chance --- just one chance! -- to come back here and tell

our enemies that they may take our lives ---- but they will never take our freedom?
  • Upvote 3

If you read the finance section people step down daily for poor performance. CEOs, Board directors, fund managers, business and school presidents, police chiefs, ADs, politicians and on and on.

That is a couple to recent memory but I could do thousands I am sure with some research

Let's use JC Penny as an example of whether he did it out of the goodness of his own heart.

Penney's board grew restless and perhaps rebellious at the end, cutting Johnson's 2012 pay by some 97% in a display of dissatisfaction. Recent regulatory filings show that Johnson was guaranteed a $150,000 payout if he resigned or was fired, It's unclear whether Johnson quit or was fired by the board.

Most CEOs have a huge golden parachute, and unlike coaches, could give two flying ducks as to their legacy as long as they end up smoking Cubans in the Caribbean after the fact.

• Upvote 1

You do know that "I am stepping down" is just a euphemism for "They told me to leave," right?

I would ask RV this simple question:

How does it feel to know that you have a job for the remainder of your working life here at UNT and that the Athletic Offices will be named after him when he retires even though he has made the worst hires in school history in the three major sports?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would ask RV this simple question:

How does it feel to know that you have a job for the remainder of your working life here at UNT and that the Athletic Offices will be named after him when he retires even though he has made the worst hires in school history in the three major sports?

Don't forget this guy (whom he hired, then extended):

s07bball2.jpg

Don't forget this guy (whom he hired, then extended):

s07bball2.jpg

I'll gladly give him that credit--but its +1 for Johnny Jones, but the Tony Benford hire hasn't made anybody feel real good about his ability to choose coaches, especially after the Shanice Stephens hire and the Todd Dodge hire. If Rick Petersen does a good job here and McCarney does a good job here, then he will be break even, which is still amazing to be after all these years as the AD. No other AD would have even been given the chance to correct those ridiculous hires in the money sports because they were so bad--except here.

Let's use JC Penny as an example of whether he did it out of the goodness of his own heart.

Most CEOs have a huge golden parachute, and unlike coaches, could give two flying ducks as to their legacy as long as they end up smoking Cubans in the Caribbean after the fact.

Right. Meanwhile our board of directors (BOR) vote 9-0 to reward something way less than mediocracy.

Why is that?

Edited by UNT90

Beer in the regular seats at Apogee?

This...when will we see beer being sold at Apogee in the main concourse area? Will we see that this season?

OK...let me help with the answer as well: " YES - PLEASE & THANK YOU!"

Superintendents and every other job I listed as well, picking at the list does not prove much. The fact is RV is paid well, very well, while he is setting the most losing records in the history of our 100 year old football program. The fact remains, whether anyone with a title like RV's does or does not step down on their own accord, is that he should be embarrassed and asked to leave. He seems out of his depth on hiring, and what group of jerk off board members extended his contract did not do North Texas any favors. All excuses must end and I do believe some folks do have the moral fiber to put the greater good ahead of themselves. I personally see this as a do or die season for RV, extension or no extension. I hope this season goes well in both football and basketball, it seems his odds maybe better for football. If he is successful and football wins with better than .500 I will tone it down. Otherwise everyone that has green in their blood should be outraged.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 3

Superintendents and every other job I listed as well, picking at the list does not prove much. The fact is RV is paid well, very well, while he is setting the most losing records in the history of our 100 year old football program. The fact remains, whether anyone with a title like RV's does or does not step down on their own accord, is that he should be embarrassed and asked to leave. He seems out of his depth on hiring, and what group of jerk off board members extended his contract did not do North Texas any favors. All excuses must end and I do believe some folks do have the moral fiber to put the greater good a head of themselves. I personally see this as do or die season for RV, extension or no extension. I hope this season goes well in both football and basketball, it seems his odds maybe better for football. If he is successful and football wins with better than .500 I will tone it down. Otherwise everyone that has green in their blood should be outraged.

If we keep losing in football and basketball, trust me, you'll leave well before RV leaves.

• Upvote 3

May I ask our older alumni to list their top 5 worst ADs? Too inappropriate? I know RV has misfired on hires, but some of y'all seemingly want to demonize the guy.
I find it hard to believe, given our history, that RV is the worst thing this school has ever endured.

• Upvote 2

If we keep losing in football and basketball, trust me, you'll leave well before RV leaves.

I would not be so sure about all of that, are we not a getting new University president, and didn't I just read three new members of the board were just appointed? Things change. But if you are correct it really is sad for everyone in the Mean Green Nation.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

May I ask our older alumni to list their top 5 worst ADs? Too inappropriate? I know RV has misfired on hires, but some of y'all seemingly want to demonize the guy.

I find it hard to believe, given our history, that RV is the worst thing this school has ever endured.

Not everything is black and white, and a job can many parts to it. Excelling in some parts of a job and letting other parts fail can give a mixed review. Other times a person can only take you so far before you need to make a hire to take you to the next level. Is it bad that RV seems to have taken us as far as he can? NO. Does that make him the devil? NO But if true it would mean UNT needs to hire a person to get us to the next level.

• Upvote 3

Problem is, he won't be the only one.

I agree that this is make or break for RV. If football fails and basketball happens, and there are no consequences for RV, I will be pretty much out.

I'll keep my seats as an investment, but there will be no donation made above the minimum level required.

If the BOR wants to reward losing, they will pay a steep price. Yes, even manipulated big donors will eventually figure things out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Given UNT's history with A.D.'s, I'm not convinced that comparison with our past A.D.s is how we find our paradigm of success.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic, here are some questions for RV.

When do we get to see those sweet, sweet (or hideously ugly depending on your opinion) throw-back jerseys? Follow up, when can we buy them?

Will we be able to buy historic NT mini-helmets? My collection is missing a few and I would love to see them in the spirit store for purchase.

• Upvote 1

.....Why won't you retire Kenny Lyons jersey? What personal vendetta does this school's athletic department have against our all time best basketball star? After all, Kram told everyone that would listen to him that we should retire his jersey...JUST AS SOON AS HE GRADUATES...Joe Greene be damned. And despite the fact that he has now since graduated...(and not one word of support for Kenny from our own version of Doug Neidermeyer since that time)...., isn't it about time to give the man the honor he deserves?

....Can we finally honor our word we gave to Mr. Warranch years ago and finish what he started at the Tennis Complex?

....What was John Madden doing in the airport that day you spoke to him about Joe Greene...as reported by Vito? Despite admitting having never stepped foot in an airplane since 1979 do you think he's a closet flyer now days?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2