2013 Coaches Hot Seat

gangrene

In any normal situation Year 3 for a coach would not be a barometer year, but we know we've not been Normal since about 1890.

I think if Coach Mac wins at least 5 games (which we will) he will be fine. I think this thing would have had to completely have fallen apart for us not to win 5 games. I've predicted 6 or 7 with 7 wins needed for a bowl invite.

We all are quite jaded from the past 7 or 8 years, but lets look at the fact that we have some talent on this team whereas when all pistons were running last Fall we beat a bowl bound/bowl winning opponent; didn't do too badly against a top ranked Kansas State Wildcats team, too.

I think the UNT coaching staff will for certain treat this upcoming football season as if much is on the line. At UNT, you just never know what is on the line at times or with whom its on the line. That hardly mean't as a negative, but just an observation from having followed this program since 1973. Some of you on this forum continue to say it best when you post......"just win" because IMO that alone will solve so many of our problems across the board, and especially on this board.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Yes, Mac coaches his full 5 year contract. So he will be back not only in 2014, but in 2015 as well. No source, just my own thought.

He won't be back for 2015 if 2014 is a losing season. You rarely see a head coach coaching in a final year of a contract at the college level--it is official suicide for recruiting purposes, not to mention for your players who can easily tune you out if they want, knowing you'll be gone at the end of the year. A 5-year contract today, means you are probably getting 4 years to either get an extension or get fired.

I think he will get an extension at the end of this year if we win 5 games or more. If its 5-6 wins, I believe he'll get a two-year extension. If its 7+ wins, I believe it will be 3 years for an extension.

Yes, Mac coaches his full 5 year contract. So he will be back not only in 2014, but in 2015 as well. No source, just my own thought.

He won't be back for 2015 if 2014 is a losing season. You rarely see a head coach coaching in a final year of a contract at the college level--it is official suicide for recruiting purposes, not to mention for your players who can easily tune you out if they want, knowing you'll be gone at the end of the year. A 5-year contract today, means you are probably getting 4 years to either get an extension or get fired.

I think he will get an extension at the end of this year if we win 5 games or more. If its 5-6 wins, I believe he'll get a two-year extension. If its 7+ wins, I believe it will be 3 years for an extension.

I'm with untjim on the first paragraph. If things go south in 2013 and 14, Coach Mac will not coach that final year on his contract.

As far as an extension at the end of this year because of 5 wins? I surely hope not. If he can win at least 6 or 7 games the next two years, then a 2-year extension would be in order at the end of next year. I would almost say that any extension at the end of this year would be completely off the table, even if we win 8 or 9 games.

I don't really like discussing whether or not Coach Mac will coach his full contract if things go south. I really hope that we're about to see things turned around, and that discussing such things is a moot point and we will all feel silly for ever talking about it.

I'm with untjim on the first paragraph. If things go south in 2013 and 14, Coach Mac will not coach that final year on his contract.

As far as an extension at the end of this year because of 5 wins? I surely hope not. If he can win at least 6 or 7 games the next two years, then a 2-year extension would be in order at the end of next year. I would almost say that any extension at the end of this year would be completely off the table, even if we win 8 or 9 games.

I don't really like discussing whether or not Coach Mac will coach his full contract if things go south. I really hope that we're about to see things turned around, and that discussing such things is a moot point and we will all feel silly for ever talking about it.

I'd be on board with a two year extension, even if its after a 5 win season, since it would show improvement and his recruiting is really starting to pick up some steam. Add in some stability with McCarney as the head coach for a few more years and I'd like the way things would look in 2014 and beyond. I think the job he took over was the among the very worst in FBS after the Dodge debacle and the last few give up years under Dickey. That may be swaying my opinion to give him an extension after a 5 win season--if its just one year.

In before I get crushed by the usual "We need to raise expectations around here" crowd, even though we haven't exactly shown that we give a damn about football over the 35 years.

We can afford it. It better happen. There are too many alumni tired of losing.

I have season tickets and live on another continent. What is my motivation to keep them if the administration has no expectations?

Many of the high dollar alums are completely on board with DMac, and to more of an extent, RV.

There is no pressure to win here, because you do not lose your job if you don't.

Don't believe me? Just look at the return of Benford and the butt ass crazy extension given to RV.

One of the problems with this program is that we are so minor league, high dollar donors have a HUGE amount of access that they wouldn't have at other programs. They are befriend by people who have a job interest in befriending said donors.

Who wants to fire their friend? No one.

Very smart of those befriending. Lets hope some realize pretty quick that they are being used for job security.

• Upvote 1

Many of the high dollar alums are completely on board with DMac, and to more of an extent, RV.

There is no pressure to win here, because you do not lose your job if you don't.

Don't believe me? Just look at the return of Benford and the butt ass crazy extension given to RV.

One of the problems with this program is that we are so minor league, high dollar donors have a HUGE amount of access that they wouldn't have at other programs. They are befriend by people who have a job interest in befriending said donors.

Very smart of those befriending. Lets hope some realize pretty quick that they are being used for job security.

There is something to it, as lackluster and inconsistent as our offense was last year I fully expected Chico to be gone, to set a tone of lets get this thing done. But his happy ass is still here and that concerns me.

Edited by KingDL1

I think your post is dead-on correct about each point. RV has it made here, since he does his job perfectly for the BOR, which is keep it cheap. It works perfectly with being a great "value" university.

To me, the next few years look like this at UNT:

1.) Scenario One: Coach Mac Makes it happen here. He really is the next Hayden Fry at UNT and he turns us into the winner we have dreamed about since Fry left.

2.) Scenario Two: Coach Mac gets fired after 2014 because we don't win and we just go back and hire the next cheap, unexperienced coordinator to be our coach

Either way, your AD will be the same person--Rick Villareal. RV has the most stable job in AD history at a FBS school. That extension he just got absolutely boggles my sports mind. Again, he's a great guy and fun to talk to. He gets lots of points because he went way out on a limb and decided that tailgating for a college football game might be a good thing to implement in Denton. Morons before RV that couldn't figure this out get no bashing for this--nope, nothing but high praise for RV for implementing a strategy that every other school in America engages in before and after games. He gets major credit for having a new stadium built on his watch, even though it was UNTFlyer that somehow get it done when RV couldn't anytime before that pivotal election. So the fans love him. And the university loves him, too, because he manages the AD is a very cost-effective manner that the BOR mandates. There is absolutely no doubt that he will retire here as the AD and will get the athletic office building named after him. No doubt...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

You would think alums that matter would be pissed, though. Especially with the increase in financial support (which I am very thankful for, by the way).

Nope. Just give RV an extension.despite a lack of on the field success.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not yelling for RV to be fired or anything, but what happens if Mac is not successful this year and basketball reality happens. Plus we are hiring a new President.

Does anyone really think we will replace an AD, Football coach, and basketball coach within a 5 month period?

Nope. So RV will keep his job no matter what.

Must be nice.

Edited by UNT90

1.) Scenario One: Coach Mac Makes it happen here. He really is the next Hayden Fry at UNT and he turns us into the winner we have dreamed about since Fry left.

2.) Scenario Two: Coach Mac gets fired after 2014 because we don't win and we just go back and hire the next cheap, unexperienced coordinator to be our coach

I fear 1A as well.

1A) We win, Coach Mac is hired away, and then we hire the next cheap, unexperienced coordinator to be our coach

I don't think McCarney will be a head coach anywhere else again--his age and his health aren't on his side in my opinion. If he were to leave, it would be because he had an awesome year in the one of the next two seasons and some AQ team paid him to be their short-term guy to get their program turned around soon. Seriously, about the only place that would come to mind for that to happen is Kansas. And Im not sure anyone wants that job.

I think he is either our coach until he retires or he gets fired before the end of 2014.

You would think alums that matter would be pissed, though. Especially with the increase in financial support (which I am very thankful for, by the way).

Nope. Just give RV an extension.despite a lack of on the field success.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not yelling for RV to be fired or anything, but what happens if Mac is not successful this year and basketball reality happens. Plus we are hiring a new President.

Does anyone really think we will replace an AD, Football coach, and basketball coach within a 5 month period?

Nope. So RV will keep his jib no matter what.

Must be nice.

This is exactly why I believe he should be fired--I can't believe he got an extension with the hires of Shanice Stephens, Todd Dodge, and Tony Benford on his record. Even if Coach Mac gets fired and Benford fall completely on his face (again) and eventually gets fired when his buyout is afforable, RV will be blameless in this. Don't know how or why, but he will be.

The athletic offices will be the Rick Villareal Athletic Offices when he retires. Just wait and see...

The athletic offices will be the Rick Villareal Athletic Offices when he retires. Just wait and see...

Only if he is willing to donate a healthy chunk of change.

I fear who we would hire to replace RV. We don't do that hirin' thang real good 'round these parts.

If Mac doesn't succeed this year (6 wins or above), then we should replace both RV and DMac.

No way DMac gets fired if RV is still the AD. That would be RV admitting yet another hiring mistake, and admitting that mistake would really taint his hiring history, and possibly lead some "friends" to question the "friendship."

RV will back him 100% (much like Benford).

I think your post is dead-on correct about each point. RV has it made here, since he does his job perfectly for the BOR, which is keep it cheap. It works perfectly with being a great "value" university.

Either way, your AD will be the same person--Rick Villareal. RV has the most stable job in AD history at a FBS school. That extension he just got absolutely boggles my sports mind. Again, he's a great guy and fun to talk to. He gets lots of points because he went way out on a limb and decided that tailgating for a college football game might be a good thing to implement in Denton. Morons before RV that couldn't figure this out get no bashing for this--nope, nothing but high praise for RV for implementing a strategy that every other school in America engages in before and after games. He gets major credit for having a new stadium built on his watch, even though it was UNTFlyer that somehow get it done when RV couldn't anytime before that pivotal election. So the fans love him. And the university loves him, too, because he manages the AD is a very cost-effective manner that the BOR mandates. There is absolutely no doubt that he will retire here as the AD and will get the athletic office building named after him. No doubt...

I'm still holding out hope that the new baseball stadium gets named after him. RV Park would be great.
  • Upvote 2

I support RV, but if basketball and football fail again this year, couldn't you see a new President bringing in his/her own guy?

Not a chance. Not only does the contract extension require way too much of a buyout, but I have a feeling that they purposely did it before hiring a new President. It sends the message that they like the way things are going with him in place, and that that will be an area where they won't let the new President make a change. I could be reading it wrong but it seems pretty obvious to me.