The Ticket

JRock

In 1994, ie, 1310 KTCK "The Ticket"s first year of operation, the University of North Texas owned that radio station (so to speak) during the Fall. Dallas' 1310 AM carried all our football and basketball games that athletic year and even had a post game call-in shows that kept their phone boards lit up. I don't think KTCK managment could have ever dreamed this would work so successfully with UNT.

Of course in 1994, we were winning some games, too. Well, one other DFW area school couldn't stand it so the next season they basically bought off The Ticket thinking they would have similar listenership as our UNT constituency gave Jub'Jub's and Junior's station but that was not going to happen. Do the constituency math comparisons of both schools and anyone would understand why.

Of course, 1994 was the year that all our UNT lambs layed down with all our UNT lions; that is, we all had a common purpose and goal and as many of you have said in the past we came together like no other time before to reach what would become a very important milestone for our school. That milestone was for our school to re-gain NCAA D-1 classification which we did. Not sure why a new CUSA membership has not created the same effect albeit has to an extent but not like 1994....IMO.

If North Texas alums can ever get to that level of solidarity again, there is nothing that we can't do as a group, but reading this forum lately makes me think that might be quite difficult.

Many of us who have given a damn about all this for 4 and 5 plus decades have questioned personnel from time to time who we think have been given proper time to produce but you know what? ? ? ?.......at age 62 ,I've decided I'm now too old to be upset about every damn thing up there that does not produce some winning seasons (which, of course, losing as we have created such an attitude for many of us).

My thing now and probably what should have been all along will be to come to games at Apogee, enjoy the food, fun and fellowship, sing the school song so people in the next section can hear me and just support our school and its football team. Maybe we have the winning combinations up there who are just needing more time to make all this work but hear me out with that, too....

......unless you are a UNT Board of Regent you may find out quickly that you might be wasting much of your youthful energy and keyboarding skills trying to fight UNT's version of City Hall. Lights are on in the A/D, but no one is listening to us most the time even with all our million dollar ideas that we have seen dissipate like a wisp of vapor in the Texas sun. Bottom LIne? It's their job, folks, not ours. We can be still be proper gentlemen to them even if we agree to disagree--even when we vehemently disagree from time to time.

No doubt we do have some very nice, congenial people on our athletic staff and right now for all of our sakes (and theirs) we should just bury a few hatchets (not in someone's head, either) and hope for them to succeed in ways we've never seen in Denton--even during the Mean Joe Greene and Hayden Fry eras or the 4 bowl games in a row era of last decade.

Honestly? It's just when you get older you want the timeline to become winners to be moved up and thus some of my own past reasons to fight UNT's version of City Hall merely trying to, uh, hurry things up? Not that what I suggested might have done it, but if you give a damn about UNT like most all on this board, you just do and say some of the damndest things from time to time. :(

Folks, it's just not worth your time to be pissed, miffed and to attempt to change what you cannot change with words on a college message board like GMG.com. Some of you I have admired from a distance your efforts to make a difference with some of you succeeding but at the same time getting your feelings hurt and then the bitterness that too many times follows but..........................sometimes its just becomes a good idea to try new and friendlier methods; you know, sort of a "catch flies with honey" type of thing? And on GMG.com, we only run potential fans off when we get too intense on personnel or worse (personal) matters and most of us have been guilty of that, too. :)

Best case scenario for 2013 is that all our Mean Green lambs find common ground with our Mean Green lions and we all move this program forward together. Now that would be real nice for a change.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Was just listening to the ticket. They were talking about college football. Saying there were two games going on in DFW the weekend of the 29th. Tech at SMU and LSU vs TCU. Same ole same ole media. Good grief.

You want to be mentioned? WIN. Plain and simple. This program has done virtually NOTHING in the last 10 years. WIN and things will change.

• Upvote 5

Corby said nice things about us following the K State game last season but I don't think they mentioned us the rest of the year. Drex is right, more wins & they'll start talking NT football. Hardline is all about shock value anyway.

• Upvote 1

at age 62 ,

Lol, you're old enough to be my grandpa.

Let's be honest here. You have Tech vs Smoo at Ford which is going to be a sellout and you have LSU vs TCU at Jerryworld which will also be a sellout or close to it since it is 100k capacity. Playing Idaho at Apogee in front of 23k (I'm being really really generous with that number) isn't very exciting at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Just listen to the fan, Its an Actual sports station.

G-Bag Nation is the only decent show (and that's late night). Ben and Skin are okay. Everything else is just hammering the same point 40 different ways on the Fan. Morning show and midday sucks. "What did Tony Romo do today when he woke up? Was he in a bad mood? Find that out next on the Elf & Slater show"

I've been listening to the ticket a lot during my commute over the last year or so because my only other terrestrial radio options seem to be Gotye and Foster the People 20 times an hour or the maniacal rantings of angry neocons on the AM dial. OK. I kinda enjoy listening to the maniacal rantings of angry neocons on the AM dial once in a while. Kinda get a kick out of it.

So, the ticket. Its appeal to me is that they do a great job of making you feel like you've gotten to know the on-air talent. I feel like I could walk up to Corby in a bar, buy him a beer, and just continue the conversation that he started yesterday afternoon at four o'clock.

Its downside to me is that I'm not in seventh grade. All the fake Jerry Jones, the Scatter Shooting, the implied sexual innuendo that George wants to laugh at, but really, at heart, he's a little too prudish to speak of, that stuff sends me straight back to the FM dial for the sweet, temple shattering sounds of AWOL Nation and their ADD rant shouts.

Contrary to just about everybody in DFW, I think I really prefer the afternoon drive to the morning musers. They're just a little bit more real to me, and their comedy is just a tad bit more of an honest projection of who they are.

As for whether or not they mention UNT or not? Meh, I really couldn't care less. George is constantly getting in his plugs, so kudos to him. But as to whether or not the DFW radio listening population cares or not, whether UNT makes a Ticket Ticker (which they did, when basketball was rumored to have hired that other coach, not Benford), I don't care.

UNT makes or breaks itself. We don't need a couple guys in a studio to do it for us.

• Upvote 3

I've been listening to the ticket a lot during my commute over the last year or so because my only other terrestrial radio options seem to be Gotye and Foster the People 20 times an hour or the maniacal rantings of angry neocons on the AM dial. OK. I kinda enjoy listening to the maniacal rantings of angry neocons on the AM dial once in a while. Kinda get a kick out of it.

So, the ticket. Its appeal to me is that they do a great job of making you feel like you've gotten to know the on-air talent. I feel like I could walk up to Corby in a bar, buy him a beer, and just continue the conversation that he started yesterday afternoon at four o'clock.

Its downside to me is that I'm not in seventh grade. All the fake Jerry Jones, the Scatter Shooting, the implied sexual innuendo that George wants to laugh at, but really, at heart, he's a little too prudish to speak of, that stuff sends me straight back to the FM dial for the sweet, temple shattering sounds of AWOL Nation and their ADD rant shouts.

Contrary to just about everybody in DFW, I think I really prefer the afternoon drive to the morning musers. They're just a little bit more real to me, and their comedy is just a tad bit more of an honest projection of who they are.

As for whether or not they mention UNT or not? Meh, I really couldn't care less. George is constantly getting in his plugs, so kudos to him. But as to whether or not the DFW radio listening population cares or not, whether UNT makes a Ticket Ticker (which they did, when basketball was rumored to have hired that other coach, not Benford), I don't care.

UNT makes or breaks itself. We don't need a couple guys in a studio to do it for us.

Corby absolutely kills it for me, can't listen to the Hardline very often.

I love the Musers because of Gordo's change of pace and how uncomfortable he makes Georgie.