Thoughts from my trip to Denton yesterday

emmitt01

First, it is hard to believe we are so close to the Idaho game and, were I not a rabid fan, I wouldn't know it. No schedule posters up on the square that I saw, on Fry Street etc. No hoopla.

I went into Voertman's and it is slowly becoming a ghost town (more on that later). I bought a really good looking NT shirt for $10 and a NT baby beanie for my friends who just had a little girl...she's an OU grad and they're Sooners, but they say she'll wear her NT stuff for uncle Emmitt! A lot of stuff on clearance and no Texas Tech trailer hitches.

I went over to Apogee to buy my Tulane ticket. It was $35! Geez, you'd think that Tulane would give you a coupon for a free hurricane too for that price. NT vs. tulane isn't exactly a marque matchup. Also, I talked to the spirit shop people about what was going on with the bookstore. Apparently the bookstore will be in an industrial grade "tent" like structure for a year or two while they build the union. Also, the bookstore bought out Voertman's but will keep the Voertman's name. That's good and bad. Good because the Voertman's store will stay there...and bad because, should the bookstore decide to price gouge for apparel, there is no alternative business to buy from.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

First, it is hard to believe we are so close to the Idaho game and, were I not a rabid fan, I wouldn't know it. No schedule posters up on the square that I saw, on Fry Street etc. No hoopla.

The year we were trying to get attendance up to go D1 was a great time around town because signs and flags were everywhere. Just think where we might be fan support wise if we had done that year after year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The year we were trying to get attendance up to go D1 was a great time around town because signs and flags were everywhere. Just think where we might be fan support wise if we had done that year after year.

And that 1994 football campaign and hoopla surrounding it has not been repeated since.

Why? Only the Shadow knows?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We might actually average 17k attendance per game (which was the goal/requirement for D1 then)

A year or two ago, several members of GMG met at what would become the Alumni Center next to Apogee, spread out and distributed schedule posters around town. If other members would like to do that again, I will contact the Athletic Dept. about getting a bunch of posters. With 10 GMG members @ 20 posters each, we could be done in an hour. Maybe sell a season ticket or two as well.

Is anybody in on a Saturday morning ?

GO MEAN GREEN

A year or two ago, several members of GMG met at what would become the Alumni Center next to Apogee, spread out and distributed schedule posters around town. If other members would like to do that again, I will contact the Athletic Dept. about getting a bunch of posters. With 10 GMG members @ 20 posters each, we could be done in an hour. Maybe sell a season ticket or two as well.

GO MEAN GREEN

That was last year and was an effort inspired by Emmitt's effort a previous weekend. I'd be down for the 24tg of August if anyone wants to put it together.

I'm more of a follower.

Edited by UNT90

GO MEAN GREEN

That was last year and was an effort inspired by Emmitt's effort a previous weekend. I'd be down for the 24tg of August if anyone wants to put it together.

I'm more of a follower.

I'd be down and don't mind asking Rob if I can open the Pavilion for us all. I do think we should do it sooner though.

And that 1994 football campaign and hoopla surrounding it has not been repeated since.

Why? Only the Shadow knows?

It's really shocking to me how little is done in this town for home games. UNT rents a place on the square and you can't even buy merchandise in there...you have to walk down to Barefoot to get any merchandise. I mean let's get creative or something. How about set up tables on high traffic times in front of it and sell stuff maybe on the saturdays of home games.

• Upvote 3

How about Aug 17 about 10am ? I'd like to get these things out ASAP. Please look at your schedules and find a way to help.

In the meantime, I'll check with the AD and see about schedule posters.

GO MEAN GREEN

Out of town on the 17th. Go get em. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

It's really shocking to me how little is done in this town for home games. UNT rents a place on the square and you can't even buy merchandise in there...you have to walk down to Barefoot to get any merchandise. I mean let's get creative or something. How about set up tables on high traffic times in front of it and sell stuff maybe on the saturdays of home games.

As much as I am a proponent of the active promotion of UNT Athletics around town, if anyone eer tried to sell stuff through the UNT On The Square, I'd openly revolt.

That space as an art gallery, music venue, etc. is a perfect godsend to my type of people. If anyone would try to change that I'd be pissed. That said, an ad should roll in its vertical poster bill presentation.

• Upvote 1

How about Aug 17 about 10am ? I'd like to get these things out ASAP. Please look at your schedules and find a way to help.

GO MEAN GREEN

This pairs well with the Alumni Soccer game that day as well as the kick-off cookout.

• Upvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

SUMG and I used to do the schedule poster thing back in the day. We actually had fun and/or made it fun doing all that, especially around the Courthouse Square businesses. Even when I had a house over in North Richland Hills almost every store on Denton Hwy from Keller to Denton had a poster; a few in Justin, Ponder and Krum, too. We for sure had the Mean Green religion--actually still do! Caught SUMG speaking in Mean Green tongues one day he got so darn excited. :shocking: i told him he was embarrassing me and to stop it! He did. :party0005: (just kiddin', John, I'm just kiddin')

Then Emmitt01 and Gang took it and ran with it a few years as I recall.

greenjoe, I think one year we even brought you a poster to Denton Bicycle Center of which as a UNT student I bought a Raleigh 10 speed from your business (as I remind you often ad nausem)! LOL!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

I will check my schedule and see if I can make it that day. If you guys decide to do it earlier (10th?) I'd try to make that as well.

It pains me though that we are leaning on alumni who already buy tickets and give to get this done though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I swung by Voertman's while I was in Denton tonight. They had quite a bit more gear than I'd seen in there before and it was new stuff I hadn't seen. I talked to one of the employees and he said that the new ownership is now in place. Their focus is in text books right now, but said they only have 30% on the UNT gear they have coming in. They will have a ton of gear and it seemed reasonably priced. ( I saw some thirst for as little as $10.). They said they were not affiliated with the school bookstore. (Seems like a different story each time we ask. )

• Upvote 2