Mark Emmert Vows 'Fundamental Change'

I don't know it really doesn't bother me that much because it doesn't appear that they want to split and even if they can offer the stipend -- would it really make that big of a difference? I mean if you do the math a $3K stipend x 85 = $255K... obviously when you add in the other sports that total will increase.. My guess is all of the C-USA could come up with that no?

I guess what I am saying is maybe this is directed more at the lower level D-I schools as opposed just the gang of five... just a thought.

Here's a weird question about the stipend issue...are scholarship level athletes still able to take out student loans? I know there are different rules that apply to athletes and I don't know all of them, and I also understand that a "full ride" would make you want to come out of college debt-free...but really, if you just need a small loan to pay for things like books and activity fees, even if you come from a family that can't pay for it, coming out of college with about $10-20K in student loans is pretty damn good, no? I'm not advocating creating huge amounts of debt, but just pointing out another option.

We all would love to get free school, free housing, and so on...but UNT actually educates its athletes to have careers outside of the .002% chance that they will be pros, so even though that doesn't sound as awesome to a recruit who is being offered a stipend elsewhere, show our graduation and job placement rates versus their dropout and drug/robbery arrests. I know our record hasn't been perfect-nobody's is-but when you compare us to Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Alabama, etc...they don't put their kids on the right track, or a job track, but on a football track. And theirs moves like an assembly line...if you fall off, there's another to take your place. I like being known as a place where we all invest in one another's futures rather than banking on a few people being successful enough to bring up the average of all the ones that don't get the appropriate direction. As much as we complain about the lack of equity in our programs vs. theirs, I think the bigger travesty is how they recruit just for the sake of sports and provide practically zero direction and development for students who need coaching off of the field.

Here's a weird question about the stipend issue...are scholarship level athletes still able to take out student loans? I know there are different rules that apply to athletes and I don't know all of them, and I also understand that a "full ride" would make you want to come out of college debt-free...but really, if you just need a small loan to pay for things like books and activity fees, even if you come from a family that can't pay for it, coming out of college with about $10-20K in student loans is pretty damn good, no? I'm not advocating creating huge amounts of debt, but just pointing out another option.

We all would love to get free school, free housing, and so on...but UNT actually educates its athletes to have careers outside of the .002% chance that they will be pros, so even though that doesn't sound as awesome to a recruit who is being offered a stipend elsewhere, show our graduation and job placement rates versus their dropout and drug/robbery arrests. I know our record hasn't been perfect-nobody's is-but when you compare us to Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Alabama, etc...they don't put their kids on the right track, or a job track, but on a football track. And theirs moves like an assembly line...if you fall off, there's another to take your place. I like being known as a place where we all invest in one another's futures rather than banking on a few people being successful enough to bring up the average of all the ones that don't get the appropriate direction. As much as we complain about the lack of equity in our programs vs. theirs, I think the bigger travesty is how they recruit just for the sake of sports and provide practically zero direction and development for students who need coaching off of the field.

Good points JesseMartin. I think that any scholarship athlete who leaves school before he graduates should pay back his scholarship. They can certainly afford it.

Good points JesseMartin. I think that any scholarship athlete who leaves school before he graduates should pay back his scholarship. They can certainly afford it.

That's weirdly interesting and I'm not sure if it was meant as sarcasm...but what about those who 1) make good and go pro, or 2) on the other hand, sell dope and get caught? I guess you wouldn't want to demean someone's success by asking them to pay back the leg-up that got them there, but plenty of us sold plasma and worked for minimum wage to get through school, but if they get free money for not working at boosters' companies, sell stolen goods, etc and get kicked off the team, I don't think your idea is unreasonable. Whether at UNT or the big programs or anywhere else, donors provide an opportunity for athletes to get an education. If you're disrespectful of that opportunity, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to repay that money, as it will go to someone else willing to dedicate themselves to the work ethic that is deserving of that great gift.